Smittybilt X20 winch on sale

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
I knew I would here from the naysayers...Mine seems to work pretty well though!

I said it in another thread, but I know A LOT of people who wheel very, very hard with this winch here locally and have put it through the ringer. None of them have ever had an issue in the years they've owned them.

Seldom would I recommend a Smittybilt product, but this is one of them that I feel confident recommending, especially for the price.

Reactions: Ricky M
Not a naysayer just offered another option. I've never had a Smittybilt winch so I can't say anything one way or the other about their winch. I did have to deal with Smittybilt customer service on another issue and I was more than pleased with the way they addressed the issue.

56757323_10162031930560352_4830830432578699264_n.jpg

Aside from the obvious (9.5 vs 10k, rope vs cable), how does this compare to the XRC-9.5 Gen2 that is currently on sale for $299?

The XRC is cheaper on amazon...

They've been down in the $240 range recently too.

I've used it a couple times for random things, nothing stressful yet.

Reactions: 04 LJ
Say what you want about Smittybilt winches, I'm running one and its been good for me. Just wanted to throw this out there...Great price from Northridge 4x4 right now on the X20 Comp. Its a 10,000 lb synthetic rope winch with a wireless controller (can be run wired as well)...419.99 and I believe free shipping.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...lt-x2o-10k-winch-waterproof-gen2-and-fairlead

Total crap, couldn't even unspool TWO of their winches. Say what you will about RC but it blew the Shittybilt away and has yet to let us down on the MRs. JL, I have an Engo on my LJ but haven't used it yet.

At least in my personal opinion, a Smittybilt is the very last brand of winch I would(n't) own.

Which reminds me of a post... a buyer was stoked because Smittybilt replaced his winch under warranty because they couldn't provide the part needed to repair it. Which begs the question... once the winch is out of warranty, what do you do when you need a replacement part and Smittybilt can't provide it?

Which is why I recommend Warn or at least a company whose entire winch line is 100% imported from China. At least with Warn you can always get replacement parts for their winches. I even got a replacement hub from them even though they sold their hub line off years ago. It pays to not buy the cheapest possible of whatever... especially when it can be considered as essential or perhaps even a survival tool that might be key to not getting stranded.

This is definitely one of those topics that brings out the polar opposites. I've owned multiple Warn winches, a Superwinch, and even a Smittybilt. If budget was a problem, which it is for most of us, and I had to have a winch, I'd buy a Smittybilt again. However, I would do so knowing that it's a throw away, should it need a major repair. If I didn't need a winch immediately, I'd save the money and buy a Warn.

If I was looking at Shittybilt, I'd close my eyes, turn slightly right and buy a Rough Country instead, a that price point. At least RC stands behind their stuff even after warranty I believe. Needless to say I am NOT a fan of Shittybilt.

That is what I have on the TJ. We have used it many times with zero issues, would buy again.
Is there better/worse brands? Sure, but to date i have no complaints.

You can buy a brand new superwinch lp8500 for about $400. I've had mine now just over four years. Its used on a regular basis and have experienced 0 issues. Linespeed has been my only complaint so far.