Snow Wheeling

I was driving to Portland today up the Wilson River Hwy for a pre-employment drug test and to have some blood work done, when I get to the summit of the Coast Range and I see snow for the first time this season!

I throw a last minute hard right into Brown's Camp and do a quick run down University Firepower, lol. Could not pass up the opportunity to get some snow on the Jeep and see who else was out there. I did run into a sheriff and about 4 elk but that was it.

IMG_5032.jpg
IMG_5040.jpg
IMG_5036.jpg
IMG_5038.jpg

I’ve been getting out in the snow as often as possible. With the lunchbox up front it’s imperative I learn to drive in it. The understeer isn’t bad on snow. I’m sure on a sheet of ice it would be horrible, but any vehicle would be the same. So far I’m learning a lot. These three pics are from different days and locations. Last ones not me, obviously, but a local YJ I ran with.
F1E0F669-5619-49F5-A0BC-2D82FA0F744B.jpeg
F4F79CEC-C5C4-4378-9188-4218E4964C68.jpeg
0D59F0BC-F132-4447-8BC2-B39962152320.jpeg

I love snow wheelin, but dislike big wheelin groups. That’s why I have a few small groups of good experienced friends I run with. None of my groups have any problems taking newbs on runs but he won’t take many at the same time, usually only 1-3 tops at a time.

Reactions: matkal and reddvltj
So the club went snow wheeling yesterday and let's just say it didn't go well. 34 Jeeps attended and we had to recover about half of them on the way up the mountain. That took so long we had to abandon our planned route of up and over and try to get them all turned around and get off the mountain before dark, which we were successful doing. Let's just say there were some operators and some equipment that should not have been on that mountain yesterday. And when at the drivers meeting they tell you. " when we stop, air down" DO IT! We knew there were some noobs going, but Damn, they need to know that installing all the pricey new fangled gadgets on their Jeep works fine at the Mall, but in the mountains' you still need to know how to drive the damn thing a little bit. And dress accordingly, Nike's and Jeans were a real NO GO up there yesterday, but then they know that now. I'm going to suggest next years snow run be Invitation Only! Snow depth was about 24" in some spots but not really the show stopper it turned out to be. There will be a lot of Jeepin stories being told at work next Monday that's for sure!
We cancelled our snow run this yr after last yr. The places it snows here have ledge roads. We get a weird snow the first jeep drives on it is ok then it turns icy snow. What finally did it was a steep grade lots of jeeps some newbies mixed in. Suddenly one guy in our group stops at the top because he made it, the rest of us stopped on the ice covered hill. Another club coming the other way wouldn't wait till we got to the top. They just refused to wait so they crested the hill one after another came sliding down until they rear ended each other (15 jeeps ) it was amazing to see so much stupidity. I also learned some new cuss words as they went by. I see the pics of the really snow wheelers back East and I'm impressed with their snow skills.

Reactions: reddvltj
What happened to the uphill drivers having the right of way? What was the other clubs name? "Jackasses in Jeeps?"
We have some real winners out here. There is one group when ever we see them I expect them to be as rude as possible, they never fail to deliver. There was a fist fight between them and a group of Humvees a few yrs back the vid went viral. Fighting over a waterfall and someone not making it, then words were said and then it was on. Calif has a lot of people with bad attitudes seems some of the couch monkeys got jeeps from mommy and daddy, probably to get them out off the house. lol

Not quite snow wheeling but after 30 miles thru a snow storm,
expect your trailer to look like this when you forget to lock the doors..

and that Shepard has such an intense look.... love dogs... such transparent personalities

DSCN2149.jpg

There was a squirrel he wanted. It’s the only way to get a good picture of him.

to add a note about airing down in snow. I was trying to avoid airing down until I knew the gate was open. (Gate wasn’t visible from the main paved road). I got into pretty deep snow nearly up to the frame rails and got stuck. Like really stuck. Aired down to 7psi and crawled right out. Without airing down it would have been miserable to try and get out, I would’ve needed to get pulled out. All I could have done alone was pull myself forward into more snow with the winch.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: reddvltj