So I want to put a better sounding exhaust on my 4.0 LJ but I've heard that it won't last as long if I do so is this true?

Tzerambo

TJ Enthusiast
I have heard that putting an aftermarket exhaust like a flow master will cause problems and the engine won’t last as long. Is this true and if not what is the best sounding exhaust that isn’t ear rape loud but still sounds good and loud.

• Haha
Reactions: Airjunky
We put a Magnaflow on the JK - it sounds great and is small/out of the way so it doesnt get bashed on the rocks.. We're planning to do the same on our new (to us) LJ but have never heard of any issues with aftermarket exhaust causing problems so I am going to watch this thread.

We put a Magnaflow on the JK - it sounds great and is small/out of the way so it doesnt get bashed on the rocks.. We're planning to do the same on our new (to us) LJ but have never heard of any issues with aftermarket exhaust causing problems so I am going to watch this thread.
Yeah I’ve heard before that the 4.0s will last forever if you keep the stock exhaust.

Flowmaster on my pickup lasted 7 year before literally rusting in half. Loved the sound, quality is junk. Stock will out last any economy priced aftermarket by far.

Reactions: Tzerambo
Sounds like complete bs.
Most people will recommend you keep the 2 piece exhaust manifold for durability reasons, but after that do whatever you want to make it sound how you want. It's not going to effect the engine longevity.

I'll post pics up in a few hours to show you the "complete bs".

I'll post pics up in a few hours to show you the "complete bs".
I'm not arguing an aftermarket exhaust might be junk. I'm saying it's not going to hurt your engine, as the OP was asking. I'd love some photos of how the exhaust modification damaged your engine and any way that you can possibly associate the two.

Also something to keep in mind is that a pre 2002 will sound different to later TJs because of the redesigned exhaust manifold. Personally I think that later ones sound better with an aftermarket exhaust whereas earlier ones sound better stock. Just my two cents

I'm not arguing an aftermarket exhaust might be junk. I'm saying it's not going to hurt your engine, as the OP was asking. I'd love some photos of how the exhaust modification damaged your engine and any way that you can possibly associate the two.
Sounds like complete bs.
Most people will recommend you keep the 2 piece exhaust manifold for durability reasons, but after that do whatever you want to make it sound how you want. It's not going to effect the engine longevity.
So if I added a magna flow or flow master exhaust and keep the cats and exhaust manifold stock is should be fine.

Reactions: Ephry73 and B252
Also something to keep in mind is that a pre 2002 will sound different to later TJs because of the redesigned exhaust manifold. Personally I think that later ones sound better with an aftermarket exhaust whereas earlier ones sound better stock. Just my two cents

Also something to keep in mind is that a pre 2002 will sound different to later TJs because of the redesigned exhaust manifold. Personally I think that later ones sounds better with an aftermarket exhaust whereas earlier ones sounds better stock. Just my two cents
What do you think would be a good sounding exhaust that I should get because I have an 04 later model 4.0 but I want something that’s gonna have a good rumble to it even tho it’s Not a v8

I'm no exhaust expert, but I have had Magnaflow mufflers on several of my vehicles and they all sounded really good without the obnoxious drone at highway speeds. There was one on my 05 TJ when I bought it and i like the sound. I spend hours at a time at freeway speeds and have no complaints. Just drove to Houston and back (10 hrs total) on Monday.

If you remove the rear cat, I have heard that some think it sounds like a UPS truck. I have no personal experience with that though

What do you think would be a good sounding exhaust that I should get because I have an 04 later model 4.0 but I want something that’s gonna have a good rumble to it even tho it’s Not a v8
I'm reluctant to recommend anything because a good exhaust sound is really subjective. I've had a friend who cut everything past the last cat and dumped it down (a 06 TJ) and it sounded gnarly but definitely not something you want when you are daily driving it. Don't make a jump to straight pipes, or resonators cherry bombs before you hear them yourself on another TJ, and one that is the same year as yours.

I'm reluctant to recommend anything because a good exhaust sound is really subjective. I've had a friend who cut everything past the last cat and dumped it down (a 06 TJ) and it sounded gnarly but definitely not something you want when you are daily driving it. Don't make a jump to straight pipes, or resonators cherry bombs before you hear them yourself on another TJ, and one that is the same year as yours.

If you unbolt the muffler/tailpipe from behind the cat you can get an idea of how it sounds. Imho it's not bad at idle but is obnoxious cruising. It's even more annoying to be the guy behind you on the trail.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I've had several exhaust configs on a couple of late model TJs. I would never recommend a glass pack, I thought it sounded terrible. I'm a fan of just a cheapo brand muffler and gutting the cats, but keep in mind that's federally illegal and for off road use only.

I've had Borla exhausts on a lot of my other vehicles as well and the quality is great and sound is awesome but I've never tried one on the 4.0.

There's a brief clip early in this video of how mine sounds with all cats gutted and a no-name muffler. The popping is exaggerated through timing however. It gurgles but it's not loud.

Yeah I daily it so I wouldn’t want something as loud as A straight pipe but I don’t like stock because it doesn’t sound good when you get on it.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I've had several exhaust configs on a couple of late model TJs. I would never recommend a glass pack, I thought it sounded terrible. I'm a fan of just a cheapo brand muffler and gutting the cats, but keep in mind that's federally illegal and for off road use only.

I've had Borla exhausts on a lot of my other vehicles as well and the quality is great and sound is awesome but I've never tried one on the 4.0.

There's a brief clip early in this video of how mine sounds with all cats gutted and a no-name muffler. The popping is exaggerated through timing however. It gurgles but it's not loud.

Yeah that sounds really good especially the supercharger wining up. Also I like the hood vent I want to get some like that because if I ever get stuck in traffic my Jeep runs really hot in the summer and I feel like vents would help but I’m scared to cut my hood.