So I want to put a better sounding exhaust on my 4.0 LJ but I've heard that it won't last as long if I do so is this true?

Yeah that sounds really good especially the supercharger wining up. Also I like the hood vent I want to get some like that because if I ever get stuck in traffic my Jeep runs really hot in the summer and I feel like vents would help but I’m scared to cut my hood.
Getting a bit off topic here but if your Jeep is running hot in the summer, even in traffic, you probably have a cooling issue. The vent help with under hood temps, but if your gauge is running hot it's probably a dirty radiator, old coolant, etc

Yeah that sounds really good especially the supercharger wining up. Also I like the hood vent I want to get some like that because if I ever get stuck in traffic my Jeep runs really hot in the summer and I feel like vents would help but I’m scared to cut my hood.

Have you refreshed your cooling system?

Reactions: Ephry73
Have you refreshed your cooling system?
No I have not i probably should because during the summer when I turn my engine off and come back a few minutes later and start it up again it has like a misfire for just a few seconds until the fan cools it off and it’s not the spark plugs because it still did that after I replaced them and it doesn’t do this in the winter.

04 unlimited with the 42RLE auto sadly
If you have a good exhaust shop around you can have them add another exhaust pipe from the last cat afterwards with an electronically controlled valve like in the video below. You can leave the valve closed and you get the stock sound or open it and have a dual exhaust thing going. The best of both worlds imho.

• Love
Reactions: q8ieng
The only damage you could possibly cause is by restricting the inlet (air intake) or outlet (exhaust) to the engine. This is because that resistance translates into more heat. If more heat goes unchecked (ie. your cooling system isn't able to handle it) then you can cause damage due to overheating.

Unless you're doing something that would be obviously restrictive (such as using tiny 1" exhaust pipe) that's really not something you need to worry about on a stock 4.0.

Reactions: skrelnik
The only damage you could possibly cause is by restricting the inlet (air intake) or outlet (exhaust) to the engine. This is because that resistance translates into more heat. If more heat goes unchecked (ie. your cooling system isn't able to handle it) then you can cause damage due to overheating.

Unless you're doing something that would be obviously restrictive (such as using tiny 1" exhaust pipe) that's really not something you need to worry about on a stock 4.0.
Do you think a flow master 40 series would be too loud? Because I daily my Jeep so I don’t want something that is going to get annoying but I also want it to sound good and decently loud.

Do you think a flow master 40 series would be too loud? Because I daily my Jeep so I don’t want something that is going to get annoying but I also want it to sound good and decently loud.

I like my exhaust to be as quiet as I can (and I still haven't found a combo I'm happy with) so I'm not the guy to answer that for you.

• Haha
Reactions: EzPeezy and astjp2
Also should I cut off the resignator right before the muffler or leave it? Will it affect it if I cut it off?

I must be the oldest 40 yr old in the world. Loud Jeeps are terrible! I want to hear nothing but the sounds of nature when I'm an hour or more from the nearest human.

Reactions: LONGJP2 and astjp2
I must be the oldest 40 yr old in the world. Loud Jeeps are terrible! I want to hear nothing but the sounds of nature when I'm an hour or more from the nearest human.
Lol true some people like different things but I don’t want it to be too loud because then it will sound like a riced out Honda Civic on a jeep

Did you keep the resonator right before the muffler or did you cut it off?

I kept the resonator as I didn't see a reason to remove it. My muffler was falling apart and I wanted a replacement muffler as close to stock as possible. Many months later I am still happy with my choice. Not too loud, and a little more grumble than stock, especially between 2.5k and 3k RPMs. Around 2k RPMs and the muffler is basically stock sounding.

Reactions: Tzerambo
Banks sells a nice sounding all stainless cat back muffler. The damaging the engine myth is nonsense.
I'll agree with 1RAD I had to replace the entire exhaust after buying my 06 LJ and went with the Banks cat back system and it sounds great and looks well built. Only 7 months and 3k miles on it so far so I cannot speak to longevity.

Did you keep the resonator right before the muffler or did you cut it off?

Just to clarify, unless the LJ exhaust has extra components, I don't recall there being a resonator on these jeeps. There are two pre cats just off the manifold, one for the forward three and one for the back three cylinders, then after they merge there is a 3rd cat beside the transfer case, then the muffler.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, unless the LJ exhaust has extra components, I don't recall there being a resonator on these jeeps. There are two pre cats just off the manifold, one for the forward three and one for the back three cylinders, then after they merge there is a 3rd cat besides the transfercase, then the muffler.
Yeah the third cat Is it not a resonator?

Reactions: skrelnik
Yeah the third cat Is it not a resonator?
I don't know, maybe technically? I always considered a resonator to be a tuned chamber for enhancing or dampening exhaust sound. It's just a cat on the Jeep. Could be my definitions are just wrong