Social media, friend or foe?

I definitely see that part but you only hear about those from the media. Do you actually follow Streep, Trump, or McCain? I'm betting not. I cultivate the people I follow & interact with based on common interests. For example, I have one Twitter group based on golfers I follow (who fortunately don't seem to be political) and another one with people I interact with across the world based on work. I don't care what Alec Baldwin has to Tweet so therefore I don't add him to my "follow" list.

True... I guess my issue with Twitter is that it has to be 160 characters (or something like that) or less... Why would I want to limit myself? I'm no social media fan, but I'd take Facebook over Twitter any day, purely based off the fact that Facebook isn't limiting my characters :D

Forums-fan
FB, etc -FOE.

I love forums. Specifically the archives. I have had numerous old cars. Mustangs, T-Birds, Impalas etc. I can always find the answer to a question I have about whatever current build I am doing. Anything you want to know about an old car can be found, usually on a forum dedicated to a particular car, in a post that's 10 years old.

Like previously mentioned, the down side of many forums is the cranky old men that seem to inhabit many of them. Most are long time members that grump and whine about noobs, insult newcomers, brag about their bottomless "knowledge" and eventually destroy the very forum that they love so much.
Since the late 90s, I've seen at least 3 or 4 classic car forums rise to huge numbers and then die off to the point that the only posters are the very guys ya'll are talking about...18000 posts, "Lifetime Gold Members" etc etc. Generally retired old farts that do nothing all day but drink coffee and browse forums.

Noob: "Is it possible to swap an LS engine into my ________?"
Old Timer: "Do a search you dimwit! That question has been asked a thousand times!! Back in my day you had to go out and read a book, you lazy *****. You people !! "

Old Timer 2 years later: "How come nobody posts here anymore?" "what happened to everybody?"

I do have a FB account under an alias. Only because many businesses skip the web page now in favor of a FB page. I will never understand the fascination folks have with snap chat, Twitter et al.

They only seem to be inhabited by narcissists who think everyone else is VERY interested in them.

Last edited:
And, IMHO, that's the nice thing about Twitter. You have to get to the point that much quicker!

Seriously though, what I like about Twitter is that it give me a very quick reach to others in the industry I might not have a connection to and I'm able to quickly able to open a dialog with them. Granted, they might ignore my comment/question but I didn't have to go and establish a "Friend" request with them ahead of time before being able to initiate that dialog. It's a much better platform for people interested in common topics to quickly find and interact with each other than Facebook is or ever will be. Kind of like a forum . . . :)

And that makes post 251!!! Whew! Puts me back in the top 10. :)
Oh, wait, I'm assuming you wanted quality posts with those counts? :-(

"How come nobody posts here anymore?" "what happened to everybody?"

Yep, I know quite a few forums like that.

It grinds my gears so much when you go on a forum, post a topic, and someone responds with "do a search!".

If everyone did a damn search, I'd be willing to bet that there would be almost no discussions at all on the forum. That what those dimwits don't understand. The entire point of a forum is to discuss things, even if it's been discussed before.

Yep, I know quite a few forums like that.

It grinds my gears so much when you go on a forum, post a topic, and someone responds with "do a search!".

If everyone did a damn search, I'd be willing to bet that there would be almost no discussions at all on the forum. That what those dimwits don't understand. The entire point of a forum is to discuss things, even if it's been discussed before.

Bingo!
It takes about 2 minutes to find and post a link to a previous thread that addresses the question. Sometimes the search is useless because it only pulls up previous threads telling noobs to do a search.

Facebook is fun for trolling, I'll admit that. I can troll the whiners who comment on the news articles all day long. It's so funny to watch them get so worked up.

I think it's pretty stupid how you have to have a personal Facebook account in order to have a Facebook business page. That's annoyed me for a long, long time.

I have a Facebook page for my business, but in order to manage it, you have to have a personal Facebook profile. It's just stupid how they expect you to do that.

I confess Im bad about trolling. Especially the Liberal pages. It's a wonder they haven't hired a hit man to do me

Reactions: VirtualRussel
I will never understand the fascination folks have with snap chat, Twitter et al.

They only seem to be inhabited by narcissists that seem to think everyone else is VERY interested in them.

While I agree with Snapchat & Instagram, Twitter is meant to be an interactive platform. That's it's biggest issue is it (as a company) doesn't do enough to push that side of the solution. They let the press/media just re-post in news articles what so and so said about such and such. Take a topic and use Twitter's search engine (or Google for that matter) and you can quickly find people to interact with much like on a forum.

For example, https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=Jeep LJ Rubicon&src=typd

I bet anything that if you reached out to Dan Ferrell (aka @rockin05jeep) and asked a question about his LJ he'd respond. Heck, for that matter, invite him to the forum and see if he has anything to contribute. He has a hell of a good looking LJ I might add.

Reactions: Chris
Honestly the only reason why I have facebook is to keep up with my veterans group page. If they made their own website. I would delete my facebook account.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
I confess Im bad about trolling. Especially the Liberal pages. It's a wonder they haven't hired a hit man to do me

HAHA! You and me both, I love trolling those pages just to get people worked up. It's bad!

While I agree with Snapchat & Instagram, Twitter is meant to be an interactive platform. That's it's biggest issue is it (as a company) doesn't do enough to push that side of the solution. They let the press/media just re-post in news articles what so and so said about such and such. Take a topic and use Twitter's search engine (or Google for that matter) and you can quickly find people to interact with much like on a forum.

For example, https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=Jeep LJ Rubicon&src=typd

I bet anything that if you reached out to Dan Ferrell (aka @rockin05jeep) and asked a question about his LJ he'd respond. Heck, for that matter, invite him to the forum and see if he has anything to contribute. He has a hell of a good looking LJ I might add.

And just like that it appears that @DanFerrell is now a WranglerTJForum member. Welcome to the forum @DanFerrell!!!

And just like that it appears that @DanFerrell is now a WranglerTJForum member. Welcome to the forum @DanFerrell!!!

I only use it for business (the forum)! :D

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 5.56.05 PM.png

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Oh don't get me wrong... I TOTALLY understand the need for Twitter, Facebook, etc., when it comes to business marketing. I just choose to keep my personal life away from social media as much as possible.

I do web design, SEO and internet marketing for a living. No way I could get by in this industry without embracing social media.

I definitely get people's frustrations with social media and this past election has all but forced me off of Facebook due to my "friends" monologs and lack of civil dialog both those on both sides. Twitter just saddens me because they never learned how to properly position their own platform. It's a searchable, non-threaded discussion forum. Nothing more nothing less. You, as the end user, get to build your own "forums" based on the groups you cultivate from fellow users. For all intents and purposes I've been a technology evangelist for almost 20 years now and for almost the last 10 years Twitter has been vital for me keeping up with industry technology and trends while building lasting industry relationships.

I definitely get people's frustrations with social media and this past election has all but forced me off of Facebook due to my "friends" monologs and lack of civil dialog both those on both sides. Twitter just saddens me because they never learned how to properly position their own platform. It's a searchable, non-threaded discussion forum. Nothing more nothing less. You, as the end user, get to build your own "forums" based on the groups you cultivate from fellow users. For all intents and purposes I've been a technology evangelist for almost 20 years now and for almost the last 10 years Twitter has been vital for me keeping up with industry technology and trends while building lasting industry relationships.

Kind of reminds me of Reddit in a way.