Soft doors or full doors?

From April until November I take the doors and top sides/rear off, leaving the "safari" look. When there is rain, I toss a cab cover over it to keep dry... I've been debating getting a set of aluminum trail doors for a tad bit more protection, when family is riding with me...

As much as I love the look of the 1/2 door, they suck in areas that are hot and wet. I have two sets and rarely use them anymore. If it rains, you have to stop and install the uppers and, when you do, the visibility and noise is terrible. Yes they are heavier and uglier, but the full door is the best option, if the Jeep is a daily driver, for areas that are hot and get lots of wet weather. From my perspective I wouldn't run a soft door at all. They offer no real protection or advantage. Given the stupid prices of factory 1/2 doors now, I run an aluminum 1/2 door on the trails. That way I don't care if it gets damaged.

As much as I love the look of the 1/2 door, they suck in areas that are hot and wet. I have two sets and rarely use them anymore. If it rains, you have to stop and install the uppers and, when you do, the visibility and noise is terrible. Yes they are heavier and uglier, but the full door is the best option, if the Jeep is a daily driver, for areas that are hot and get lots of wet weather. From my perspective I wouldn't run a soft door at all. They offer no real protection or advantage. Given the stupid prices of factory 1/2 doors now, I run an aluminum 1/2 door on the trails. That way I don't care if it gets damaged.

I will happily take a set of your 1/2 doors off your hands.

The right tool for the job. I have both full and half hard doors. When I wheel, I usually run the hard doors unless the weather is bad. I run the full doors all other times. For me, the full doors are much more comfortable for just tooling around - especially with the top off.

I also loose the bottom half of the door surrounds when I run the half doors.

Moab 2022 - 03760_Moment.jpg

EJS - White Knuckle 8x10.jpg

From my perspective I wouldn't run a soft door at all. They offer no real protection or advantage.

except if you live in the Commonwealth of Fetterman where up is down, side-show freaks get elected to the most powerful posts outside of the oval office itself, and the legislature/department of transportation deemed it somehow appropriate to outlaw driving doorless... under those limited circumstances the soft door indeed offers very real protection from unwanted intrusions/citations as issued by Johnny Law, if you happen to be driving in one of those areas of the otherwise great state where those sorts of infractions are in fact enforced...

. Must be a custom roll cage like the old YJs? The kind that smashes backseat rider heads in car accidents before they changed them to the family style.

First of all; maybe you're not old enough to know, but that roll bar has the signature and classic stylings of a CJ. ;)
Second; how did the family style cage change anything? They both still have an overhead bar.

First of all; maybe you're not old enough to know, but that roll bar has the signature and classic stylings of a CJ. ;)
Second; how did the family style cage change anything? They both still have an overhead bar.

My Dad bought a CJ5 new in 1969 and sold it to me in 1972. It had the classic "snow plow" option ❄️ . No roll bar but it came with a white metal half cab, doors with winding windows and a snow plow of course all from Meyers. Still can't believe I sold it.

Something to do with your head hitting it on a side impact? If I remember, passengers in the back seat with those type of roll bars are required to wear helmets at the sand dunes out here too.

The CJ died the year I was born so you are spot on for that

And found the sand dune rules- here's the difference
  • Passengers not protected by metal roof/roll bar above and behind head must wear American National Standards Institute (ANSI) certified helmet (or equal helmet).

Passengers not protected by metal roof/roll bar above and behind head must wear American National Standards Institute (ANSI) certified helmet (or equal helmet).

^^^ This I understand, but not for side impacts.
The CJ roll bar was nowhere near the rear passengers' heads.

p1030530.JPG

Reactions: Vtx531