Soft top frame screw stripped

Cole

TJ Enthusiast
Took off the soft top for (hopefully) the rest of summer and naturally, the last screw I tried to take out was stripped. 2 questions -

Is it possible the screw is fine, but the frame itself is stripped?
What's the best way to get this screw out w/out damaging the frame?
and.
Ideas where another screw can be purchased?

I suppose I could just take the bracket off each time too.

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

I’d be tempted to mix a few drops of acetone with few drops atf and dab that on the threads, let it sit for thirty and give it a go with a brand new torx bit. Or brutally drive a square shank SAE driver in and use a wrench as leverage.

I had the same problem. I ended up cutting it off with my multitool and I ordered new quick release ones from Amazon. They are called quick release bow knuckles.

I had the same problem. I ended up cutting it off with my multitool and I ordered new quick release ones from Amazon. They are called quick release bow knuckles.

^ This

(I'm sure it's just the plastic that is stripped)

Reactions: Cole
Can you stick a small Phillips or maybe a punch on the back side of the screw and put some pressure on it when you are turning it? On my soft top those shoulder screw holes go all the way through.

And just get a longer screw so you can put a nut on the back side when you put it back together.

And just get a longer screw so you can put a nut on the back side when you put it back together.
These ones unfortunately don't go all the way through. And I tried getting something in between the bracket and the frame for leverage, but ended up slightly bending one of the two fingers of the soft top.

Drill a small hole where the screw would be, if it did go all of the way through, then push the screw with an awl or small punch.

Or...

If you are going to replace the ends anyways, just cut the plastic off.

Mine stripped too, and this is also what I did. The quick releases replace the plastic ends on the frame. So much easier.

For anyone that deals often with recessed-head fasteners I can't recommend enough having a tube of EZ-Grip on hand to deal with stripped hardware. It's a staple in the aerospace industry and works brilliantly. Buy it through Chris's link to Amazon, it will change your life and I mean real change. Golf scores will go down, bowling scores will go up, etc... Buy it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFEJY5W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
Reactions: Fonz54
Ok, mine has thru holes, and so do every one pictured here. I dont see why you can't put some pressure against the bottom of the screw to help back it out.🤯