Soft top install

dodj

Just putting the soft top back on after the winter. Seems REALLY tight! Do they shrink after being off the Jeep for 6 months?

If they didn't fit tight, they would flap around a lot. I installed mine when it was 45-50 degrees outside and windy. I latch the front of mine and then pull down hard on the rear of it to get it into the corner channel rails.

Last edited:
OK, i was working at 55*.. really pulling hard on the back corners to the point I was wondering if I had something wrong or jammed up somehow.
Thanks!

Reactions: TheBoogieman
OK, i was working at 55*.. really pulling hard on the back corners to the point I was wondering if I had something wrong or jammed up somehow.
Thanks!
One key to getting those back corners installed is to not have the header fully clamped down. Place the header's hooks into their slots in the windshield frame but don't pull the latches down yet. Get the rear corners installed then pull the latches fully down into place so they're latched.

With my arthritic hands ,I use a short ratchet strap to pull down on top rear corners.
Good idea. Are you also leaving the front header latches unlatched, so only the hooks are holding it partially latched? That makes the job a LOT easier even when it's not a new tight top.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Good idea. Are you also leaving the front header latches unlatched, so only the hooks are holding it partially latched? That makes the job a LOT easier even when it's not a new tight top.

I leave the latches hooked but not closed until the rear corners are in place.If I dont its like fighting from both ends.

I was in AZ Feb-Mar..everyone was saying it was the coldest it's been in 30-40 years. Took it home with me I guess.