Soft top installation - I'm going crazy! Someone please help.

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
OK, the weather was too good this weekend and I decided to put the soft top on. I removed the hardtop yesterday (got the PO's storage cart with the Jeep) , and holy crap, that was too much fun. I've never thought driving could actually be this much fun.

MVIMG_20180623_202013.jpg

However, I need to put the soft top back on atleast until I clear out l space in my garage next weekend. I'm having a WHALE of a time with this thing. It feels like it's too short to fit. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but can't figure out what. I did let it sit in the warm sun for hours and that did not help.

If I attach the bottom back side then the top doesn't reach the windshield. And vice versa if I attach the windshield side, there is no way I can stretch that thing to attach to the bottom lip. I watched enough videos, tried every which way and cannot figure it out. In the photos below none of the plastic/ rubber bits are tucked underneath anywhere.

I've attached some close up shots of the back area. There is a black webbing strap attaching the back horizontal frame to thet middle one and I cannot figure what it's for. Didn't seem removable so I did not try.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Have I attached the frame to thet center rollcage bar wrongly? The YouTube videos made it seem very easy and yet I'm really struggling with this. Would really appreciate some help!

IMG_20180624_153135.jpg

IMG_20180624_153340.jpg

IMG_20180624_153147.jpg

IMG_20180624_153159.jpg

Where did you get the top?

Attach but don’t clamp the front down. It will be tough but if it is the correct top you will be able to put your hand on the carriage and push down until you get the plastic under the lip on the tub.

It is going to be tight. I assume tj top tj tub not tj top on lj tub?

Reactions: Starrs
Alright your going to attach the clips at the windshield header channel...attach them in but don’t close the clamp...then apply pressure to the frame at the top of the bar at the back by gently pulling down on the top until you habe both rear pieces hooked in. The key is getting the clamps hooked in but not secured down. That is your first step then go to the back and attach.

Reactions: Stockli
Hook both the front heather latches, do not clip tight, leave it there just hooked loose
*** Here is the trickiest step: Clip the back-velcro into the back tub tabs by forcing the metal tube bracket grab-down by putting your full weight (don't worry, the metal frame flexes like a spring, reason why it is bent like a J shape)
Go back in the front clamp latches and clip them snug tight
Install hook the window zipper just to start the zipper (let the window hang there for a while)
Clip the side velcro on the driver and passenger side surround
Zip install the rear side windows, velcro clips lined up and all
Zip install the back window assembly

Last edited:
Where did you get the top?

Attach but don’t clamp the front down. It will be tough but if it is the correct top you will be able to put your hand on the carriage and push down until you get the plastic under the lip on the tub.

It is going to be tight. I assume tj top tj tub not tj top on lj tub?

Top is the factory premium soft top. The PO got the dual top option when he bought the Jeep.

I've tried attaching the front header clips without closing the latch after seeing YouTube videos suggestions that. The photo I posted up top where you see thet frontf portion looking correct is secured that way.

I'll try putting more weight on the rear bracket while trying to attach to the bottom lip on the rear. I''m worried I might bend it. Let me try and I'll post back as to what happens.

It won’t bend they are a pita the first time getting them on.

Did you install the carriage? My dual top was installed at the factory then wrapped tight and sealed.

I’ll look at mine but maybe the carriage isn’t on right. I’ll look

Edit, looks good

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats
It won’t bend they are a pita the first time getting them on.

Did you install the carriage? My dual top was installed at the factory then wrapped tight and sealed.

I’ll look at mine but maybe the carriage isn’t on right. I’ll look

Edit, looks good

PITA is the right word.

The PO barely used the soft top. I tried putting my weight, it comes down a bit then I need two hands to hook it in the lip. Going to call a friend to help.

Eventually, you will be able to latch the two windshield clips all the way, then just pull down on the rear bow with one hand, and tuck the corners with the other. Once the top loosens up.

By the way, those nylon straps attaching the two bows keep tension on the bows, and help support the rear corner of the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats
Eventually, you will be able to latch the two windshield clips all the way, then just pull down on the rear bow with one hand, and tuck the corners with the other. Once the top loosens up.

By the way, those nylon straps attaching the two bows keep tension on the bows, and help support the rear corner of the top.

Thanks, I see what the nylong straps do now.

I kept seeing videos on youtube of people doing just what you described and thought it would be like that. NOT!

Ok, here is phase two of the soft top saga .. %@#$& zippers!!

I spent an hour installing the side windows. The back window got the better of me. The upper part of the back window just had too much of a gap against the rear portion of the soft top that has the teeth. There is no way that zipper is closing on without some sort of magic. I even had two other friends try and give up.

So dear wizards of the forum, I need your help once again. Should I have done the back window before the sides? I really don't want to touch the side windows if I can. I think the main problem is that the soft top still is not stretched out to it's proper length. Other than parking the vehicle in the sun for a week, is there anything else can I do to help it stretch faster?

I must say that as painful the side window installation was, I see the intent behind the design. They've really tried to keep water out. Luckily it doesn't rain much in the summer here but I would be too chicken to put this soft top through a Portland winter. I'm so glad I have the hard top.

Do not attempt to stretch it faster. It will compromise the stitches. Do not force zip the windows either.
Better off, when sunny and hot outside, leave the windows out on the sun, then assemble them in the afternoon.
Get a candle and wax all the zipper before you install them. It will help ease of installing them.

Do not attempt to stretch it faster. It will compromise the stitches. Do not force zip the windows either.
Better off, when sunny and hot outside, leave the windows out on the sun, then assemble them in the afternoon.
Get a candle and wax all the zipper before you install them. It will help ease of installing them.
Sage advice this. I bought a new Bestop NX twill a couple months ago. Just the top costs over $900. If you need the hardware too it’s over $1400. Anyway when I put the top on that rear window was not going to get the best of me. Well I got it on there. But now I have stretched/deformed the zipper teeth on both the window and the top itself where the window attaches. So it’s a real bugger to zip and unzip regardless now. But I’m going to have to live with it.
Had I followed this advice I would have put the top in less the rear window and ran it that way for a few days or even a couple weeks. Then put the rear window in on a hot sunny day...

Reactions: Hotrodbud
Did you try putting in the rear window first, or after the side windows? From reading your post, it appears you finally got the side windows in (after a lot of time and effort), and don't feel like going through that again by taking them off. I would suggest that you do so. Given the trouble you are encountering with the rear window, I might even try undoing the bottom flaps of the soft top, then trying to zip in the rear window. I've not seen too many describe the issues you've been having, but it happens.

My window process once the top is up: Rear window first. Unclip the part of the rear soft top corner flap that is closest to the tailgate opening. Lay the rear window over the back of the back seat, then start the zipper on the driver side. Hold up the top of the window and finish zipping the window all the way; slide in the tailgate retainer bar and clip it into the side brackets, then tuck in the bottom window flaps into the body channel. Reinsert the soft top corner flaps. Done with the rear.

Side windows: attach the bottom third of the window rear velcro about halfway up on the soft top velcro. That holds up the rear of the window while you start the zipper in the front. Only zip that about 4" closed once started. Then tuck in the plastic flaps into the door surround. Next, undo the velcro rear, finish zipping the window all the way. Next I fold down the top flap over the top velcro on the window, then tuck in the bottom flap into the body channel. I also have tucked in the bottom flap first, then folded the top velcro flap last...

If you still cannot get the rear window in after taking off the side windows, and untucking the bottom flaps of the rear corners, you may have just gotten a lemon of a top, and might need to see about an exchange. I wish I could be there to see what you're seeing, but can only imagine. It should not be that difficult this time of year...

I was looking back at how tight your back frame rib is (where #2 is pointing). This is not going to acomodate your back window. I suggest you remove everything and modify your J-frame. Bend it "inward" a little at the "J" area. I used an electrical conduit bender. The concept is that the top edge @ #2 rim will go down 1/2" inward. I tried this to one for my TJ sport and my son can install his easier thereafter.
9f805c4196af42c4a40bafc9dbb21587.png

Last edited:
Did you try putting in the rear window first, or after the side windows? From reading your post, it appears you finally got the side windows in (after a lot of time and effort), and don't feel like going through that again by taking them off. I would suggest that you do so. Given the trouble you are encountering with the rear window, I might even try undoing the bottom flaps of the soft top, then trying to zip in the rear window. I've not seen too many describe the issues you've been having, but it happens.

My window process once the top is up: Rear window first. Unclip the part of the rear soft top corner flap that is closest to the tailgate opening. Lay the rear window over the back of the back seat, then start the zipper on the driver side. Hold up the top of the window and finish zipping the window all the way; slide in the tailgate retainer bar and clip it into the side brackets, then tuck in the bottom window flaps into the body channel. Reinsert the soft top corner flaps. Done with the rear.

Side windows: attach the bottom third of the window rear velcro about halfway up on the soft top velcro. That holds up the rear of the window while you start the zipper in the front. Only zip that about 4" closed once started. Then tuck in the plastic flaps into the door surround. Next, undo the velcro rear, finish zipping the window all the way. Next I fold down the top flap over the top velcro on the window, then tuck in the bottom flap into the body channel. I also have tucked in the bottom flap first, then folded the top velcro flap last...

If you still cannot get the rear window in after taking off the side windows, and untucking the bottom flaps of the rear corners, you may have just gotten a lemon of a top, and might need to see about an exchange. I wish I could be there to see what you're seeing, but can only imagine. It should not be that difficult this time of year...

Thanks for the pointers,

The rear window won't go in without the side zippers. I tried that yesterday and then went to install the side windows. I have not tried undoing the top (without the side windows) from the bottom lip in the rear with the front still attached and then attaching the rear window. That may work but I am guessing that is going to take a LOT of effort to get the rear bottom of the top tucked in. I can try that later when I can get my friend to help me.

On the youtube videos I have seen, what really stands out is how much closer the rear bottom flaps are when the top is just loosely sitting on top of the vehicle. You can see my photos above how much farther they are. I really thought I messed up as to how I attached the frame, but after seeing several videos, I don't think I did anything wrong.

The prev owner told me that he used the soft fop very infrequently since he got the jeep, and even that was in the early years after he got it. It's been sitting rolled up for years I suppose and can explain why I am having such a difficult time with it this time. What I would like to know is whther if it would get better. If not, I'll just go topless entire summer and store my jeep inside after clearing my garage this weekend and put the hard top on for the winter. I do have a bikini top as well, so I am very tempted to just use that and forget the soft top altogether.