Soft Top vs. Hardtop?

Which top do prefer?

• Total voters

LJRubiconGuy

TJ Enthusiast
Which one do you guys like more? For me it's the hardtop all the way. I say that because I'm really either a tops on or tops off kind of guy.

But if you had to choose one, which would it be?

Hardtop all the way. I owned a soft top but sold it. Much like yourself, I'm either tops on doors on, or tops off doors off.

I prefer the hardtop aswell but sometimes buring the summer I wanna go topless but the hard top is pretty heavy for me to lift by my self. I like that the hardtop is a little quieter on the road and it keeps heat in better during the winter. But the softtop in the summer is better because you could put it up in a seccond if it starts raining. I guess im split between the two. Hardtop in the winter softtop in the summer.

Reactions: Lucas M and Chris
I prefer the hardtop aswell but sometimes buring the summer I wanna go topless but the hard top is pretty heavy for me to lift by my self. I like that the hardtop is a little quieter on the road and it keeps heat in better during the winter. But the softtop in the summer is better because you could put it up in a seccond if it starts raining. I guess im split between the two. Hardtop in the winter softtop in the summer.

That's why you have to get a hardtop hoist. It makes removing the hardtop soooo easy!

Reactions: Kris11
I really like the idea of that and how easy it is but sadly I live in a condo so that's out of the question lol.

I really like the idea of that and how easy it is but sadly I live in a condo so that's out of the question lol.

Oh yeah, that does make taking the hardtop off and storing it a pain! But with the cold winters you get up there the hardtop must be nice!

Oh yeah, that does make taking the hardtop off and storing it a pain! But with the cold winters you get up there the hardtop must be nice!

Well storing it isn't really a problem. My grandmother has a house and in her backyard you can see where I put it during the summer because all the grass is dead under it lol.

Reactions: Chris
Well storing it isn't really a problem. My grandmother has a house and in her backyard you can see where I put it during the summer because all the grass is dead under it lol.

Haha! Okay well at least you have a place to store it. I know space can be tight in condos.

I sold my hard top 6-7 years ago and I don't miss it at all. 13 years of lifting it off & on, sometime out where I was wheeling, got to me. My TJ's Sailcloth soft top is quiet enough that I really didn't see much benefit to the hard top. Not to mention the time that hard top gave me my first ever black eye. As I used my hoist to lift it off, the hard top suddenly swung around hard and popped me on the eye just hard enough to give me a REALLY bad black eye. That was ok but I had a new job starting the next day and I had to give a 15 minute presentation that first day to a bunch of women whom I'm sure were all wondering just who had they had hired when I showed up with a huge black eye. :eek::p

I sold my hard top 6-7 years ago and I don't miss it at all. 13 years of lifting it off & on, sometime out where I was wheeling, got to me. My TJ's Sailcloth soft top is quiet enough that I really didn't see much benefit to the hard top. Not to mention the time that hard top gave me my first ever black eye. As I used my hoist to lift it off, the hard top suddenly swung around hard and popped me on the eye just hard enough to give me a REALLY bad black eye. That was ok but I had a new job starting the next day and I had to give a 15 minute presentation that first day to a bunch of women whom I'm sure were all wondering just who had they had hired when I showed up with a huge black eye. :eek::p

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447206037.149749.jpg

*Jerry on his first day of work giving his presentation!

Hehe, that's terrible!

Hardtop

Mine had DualTops, I sold the soft top the next summer. I hate direct sun on a 90 degree day, and I love the hard top in the winter. Taking the doors off is better and easier than dropping a soft top.

Hardtop

Mine had DualTops, I sold the soft top the next summer. I hate direct sun on a 90 degree day, and I love the hard top in the winter. Taking the doors off is better and easier than dropping a soft top.

You need a spiderweb shade for the summer days where you have the top off. Best money I've ever spent!

Reactions: Lucas M
Had all 3 on last LJ but found I hardly ever used the soft top. Hardtop in winter (like right now with about 3 inches of the white stuff and still falling) or a full length bikini with half doors in the summer.

You need a spiderweb shade for the summer days where you have the top off. Best money I've ever spent!
But that won't solve the security problem which is easy if all you have to do is drop on the doors when you need to lock it up. I probably lift the doors on and off 50 times a year. Could not imagine doing that with the roof.

But that won't solve the security problem which is easy if all you have to do is drop on the doors when you need to lock it up. I probably lift the doors on and off 50 times a year. Could not imagine doing that with the roof.

Ahhh, I am not worried about the security problem, but that make sense since I am sure a lot of people would be!

I love my soft top though it's rarely up. I have a bimini top over drivers seat as sun can be brutal in Florida but that's about all you need. Drove it to work this morning and it was an awesome 61 degrees. Just need a hat so your hair is presentable at work. Well at least somewhat presentable.

Reactions: Sasquatchewan
Soft top for sure, keeps all the pansies complaining about no air cond out of my jeep

It's funny because I've never once used by AC on my Jeep, EVER! In the Summer even on the blazing hot days it's more comfortable to have the top off, doors off and Spiderweb Shade on than it is to have the top on and AC on.

BOTH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have a soft top see how you do through the winter. The hardtop is great to quiet things down but, in OHIO with 6 inches of snow the soft top is fine. You can scrape the windows with a hardtop but, you can let the defroster blow for 15 minutes and all the snow melts off the windows with the soft top. Mine came with a soft top but, I bought a hardtop.