Soft tops: frameless vs frame

Racefan

I currently have a hard top on my 97 wrangler and was wanting some suggestions on if it would be better to go with a frame or frameless soft top.

Better is subjective. I run a frame less top primarily because I needed one in a hurry and to save some coin at the time. It is a great top, easy to install, no leaks with heavy rain or snow. The benefit to a factory style is the ability to fold it back and better rear passenger head room. I actually think they look better too.

A factory framed soft top works well for my needs, and is easy to put up/take down. you can usually find one cheap on CL for the framework, and just buy a new skin for a fresh look. I bought mine on CL for $100, and spent another $200 for a new skin. You'll need door surrounds and a tailgate bar, along with the tail gate bar brackets that screw on to the tub.

I strongly considered the Rampage NX, but ultimately chose the Bestop Trektop NX. It came with everything I needed to go from a factory hard top to a soft top and the quality and fit was superb. It was super tight and I thought for a minute I was never going to get it on. It was below 80 degrees outside and had it not been for moving the Jeep out into the sun I would have never got it on. Just make sure you park it in the sun on a hot day and it should go pretty good.

Here's a pic this last weekend at Dead Lake near Wewahitchka...

42014504042_82927f9530_k.jpg

I like the "Sunrider" feature where you can flip the top back. I also like that I can take the rear windows and the back window off and run it like a safari/bikini top. We just got back from a 4 day trip to the beach and it worked great.

I ordered one of these in which to roll up the rear window and the side windows:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastertop/soft-top-window-protection-roll-76-06-jeep-cj-wrangler

Personal preference. I just like the looks of the factory soft tops better. I found mine years ago for $200 on Craigslist complete with door surrounds and frame. I had to buy the brackets because mine was a hardtop only Jeep from the factory. I run a Safari top and tonneau cover all summer, soft top spring and fall, and hard top for the winter months. It's like having 3 completely different Jeeps. All tops are still in great shape because they don't get used year round.

Two things:

1) I've heard many say that the frameless tops are actually more of a pain in the butt to put up and take down than a framed top. I don't know if this is true or not, just something I've heard more than a few people say. I used to have a framed soft top and must confess, it was easy as hell to put up!

2) I strongly dislike the look of frameless tops. I think they look ugly as sin. That's just an unsolicited, strong opinion of mine though. Everyone has different taste.

This thread might be of some help come decision time:
What is the best replacement soft top for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

I would not say it is more difficult just different. The frame less does not fold down like a framed top. It is basically on or off. Mine does have the flip back front "sunrider" or whatever they call it. It can also be run as a bikini top. But if you are looking to fold it rearward then back up easily, you want a framed top.

Reactions: Infernicus
Better is subjective. I run a frame less top primarily because I needed one in a hurry and to save some coin at the time. It is a great top, easy to install, no leaks with heavy rain or snow. The benefit to a factory style is the ability to fold it back and better rear passenger head room. I actually think they look better too.
+1

Here is my frameless top with the Sunrider open. I happen to like the looks of it. It is kind of a fastback look. I would say it is a lot easier than a frame top to install and remove. @Rob5589 is correct that you can't fold it all of the way back like a frame top, but you have the rattly bows in a frame top. The Sunrider flips back super easily.

The second picture is with the windows unzipped and just the top on is like having a safari top. From there there are 4 straps two pins and the clamps on the windshield to remove it. Super easy for one person and takes less space to store. I really like mine.

IMG-0120 (1).JPG
IMG-0217 (1).JPG

I know I need some new pictures!

I'm with you. I like the fastback look of the frameless top. With the Sunrider feature, I don't ever see me taking the top completely off. As a matter of fact in the summer around here I see us mostly riding around with the windows and doors off and the Safari top on. It's just too damn hot to have the sun beating down on you on Alabama. Plus if you want to get some quick sun and you have the full top on it just takes a minute to flip the top back and roll the windows down.

We were on the way back from the beach yesterday. It's a 5.5 hour trip and we got tired of the sun, the noise, and the heat, so when we stopped for gas, it only took a few minutes to unroll the windows and zip them in and then it was A/C the rest of the way home.

i understand that folks have different opinions on what looks good, which is why it's great to have many options when it comes to tops and such for Jeeps.

Another vote for frameless. I like the fastback look with the windows on, and I like top with windows off. Can’t take it off and go topless real fast. A real pain as a matter of fact, but except for a short time in the spring and fall it gets too hot to go topless where I live. I have a Rampage top (5yrs now) that allows you to store the windows in a compartment on top out of the way which for me is a great feature. This helps prevent scratching the windows up also. I have a factory framed top and used it for about 13 yrs before it just wore out. Always hated the bundled up frame and top laying on the tailgate. So I have had both and I like the frameless better.

Reactions: FJQue and lindsey97
Another vote for frameless. I like the fastback look with the windows on, and I like top with windows off. Can’t take it off and go topless real fast. A real pain as a matter of fact, but except for a short time in the spring and fall it gets too hot to go topless where I live. I have a Rampage top (5yrs now) that allows you to store the windows in a compartment on top out of the way which for me is a great feature. This helps prevent scratching the windows up also. I have a factory framed top and used it for about 13 yrs before it just wore out. Always hated the bundled up frame and top laying on the tailgate. So I have had both and I like the frameless better.

I also prefer the frameless look, much smoother look. I also like the features of the Rampage. Good lower cost soft top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FJQue and DougTJ
I like the traditional top look myself. I don’t hate the trektop look, but going topless I have heard is a bit of a pain compared to the framed top. Now I will say the safari top look you get with the frameless is veru cool, but a safari top can be purchased for very cheap.

Reactions: Nicholas
Two things:

1) I've heard many say that the frameless tops are actually more of a pain in the butt to put up and take down than a framed top. I don't know if this is true or not, just something I've heard more than a few people say. I used to have a framed soft top and must confess, it was easy as hell to put up!

2) I strongly dislike the look of frameless tops. I think they look ugly as sin. That's just an unsolicited, strong opinion of mine though. Everyone has different taste.

This thread might be of some help come decision time:
What is the best replacement soft top for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Chris is this why you don't like the frameless...Wife saw this and said is that a jeep with the bowless soft top? faceplant.... no dear that's not even a jeep...

VW thing.JPG

I recently bought and installed a trektop NX in Black Denim, was in the same situation as you, jeep came with a hard top. For the value it has worked great for me, the sunrider is unexpectedly my favorite feature, super easy to get that open air feel, the rear windows are also really easy on/off. It came with everything needed too, that was a plus. Other jeep related purchases took priority over buying a new framed soft top set, I'm happy with my decision.
119464abfecf37ae99963b10c2c67be0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chris is this why you don't like the frameless...Wife saw this and said is that a jeep with the bowless soft top? faceplant.... no dear that's not even a jeep...

Haha, no kidding!

I particularly don't like slant back look on the TJs. But aside from that, the frameless tops just look weird to me. The rear windows look too big for my taste.

One thing I would warn about the Trektop NX is the fit and quality. Mine has never fit quite right (the velcro on the window zippers is always showing a noticeable amount) and the seams and zippers are already showing wear after slightly over a year. I beat the hell out of my soft-top because I run it through the winter and take it on and off in colder weather, but I'm still not happy with how my Trektop NX has held up over the time I've had it. If I had to do it again, I'd probably going with the factory style, but I also seem to be the only one on the internet who has had these problems with the trektop.

One thing I do like is the safari style:

Nts6EvS.jpg