Soft tops: frameless vs frame

I've had the Rampage top for almost 5 years now. I think I paid around $350 at the time. It fits great, and is much quieter than my factory soft top. No problems with the zippers and the material is still in great shape. The only thing that broke is the strap going from the sound bar to the windshield. I replaced it with a bungee cord and it works well.
I can get the back and side windows off in about 10 minutes and run it as a bikini top for 8 months out of the year.
I feel I have got my moneys worth out of it.

20190106_100936_resized.jpg

20190106_100832_resized.jpg

20180927_120306_resized_1.jpg

Reactions: B252 and Airjunky
I've had the Rampage top for almost 5 years now. I think I paid around $350 at the time. It fits great, and is much quieter than my factory soft top. No problems with the zippers and the material is still in great shape. The only thing that broke is the strap going from the sound bar to the windshield. I replaced it with a bungee cord and it works well.
I can get the back and side windows off in about 10 minutes and run it as a bikini top for 8 months out of the year.
I feel I have got my moneys worth out of it.

View attachment 70993
View attachment 70994
View attachment 70997
Looks great did it come with all that is needed to fit it? Or did you have to purchase extra stuff

Looks great did it come with all that is needed to fit it? Or did you have to purchase extra stuff
When I bought a Rampage Frameless top for my TJ, I had to buy an extra bar for the windshield, which is around $50.

*Edit:* The website says that you need this if installing on a Jeep that has a hard top, but I was running the factory soft top before and had to add this before I could install the Rampage top.

https://www.rampageproducts.com/rampage-901004-windshield-channel
1546874763494.png

Reactions: DuncLJ
Bringing up an old thread but I’m considering switching from my framed top to a frameless. Couple of questions I have for those who have frameless:
1. Can rear window be rolled up like it can on a framed top? For the days when it’s nice but still on the cold side in the morning but warmer in the afternoon.
2. Does it use door surrounds? In other words when it’s safari style, can I run my soft uppers on my half doors on the days it’s raining or when I throw them in to drive on the highway?
3. Can the sunrider feature be used in safari too mode still? Or does it only work when all the windows are in?

And finally, does anyone know if the trektop nx tops have the obnoxious Bestop logo on the rear that all of their framed soft tops have nowadays?

Had both. Prefer frameless. The sunrider feature is awesome. My factory top always looked messy when throwing it back. Could have been that it was old. But thats gone and no looking back. When I need a new one I'll likely go frameless again.

Edit: end of day its preference. Note that if you buy a Quadratec top the zippers do not work on Bestop and vice versa. Least they didn't when I was in the market for a new top.

Bringing up an old thread but I’m considering switching from my framed top to a frameless. Couple of questions I have for those who have frameless:
1. Can rear window be rolled up like it can on a framed top? For the days when it’s nice but still on the cold side in the morning but warmer in the afternoon.
2. Does it use door surrounds? In other words when it’s safari style, can I run my soft uppers on my half doors on the days it’s raining or when I throw them in to drive on the highway?
3. Can the sunrider feature be used in safari too mode still? Or does it only work when all the windows are in?

And finally, does anyone know if the trektop nx tops have the obnoxious Bestop logo on the rear that all of their framed soft tops have nowadays?
I have a pavement ends…aka budget best top.

1. rear window can’t be rolled up but is very easy to pop off roll up and stow
2. I leave my door surround on in safari mode and throw my hard doors on when I feel the need.
3. Sun rider mode is easy to use in safari mode.

overall I’m very pleased with my pavement ends frameless. I haven’t put my hardtop on since I purchased it. You do have to scavenge the factory windshield frame, rear window bar and door surrounds.

one thing that is annoying is the support straps that go around the roll bar can’t be put on without loosening the speaker bar. I put them on once and I just leave them off now so I can pull the top off/on easily. This is not my daily driver so it’s not a big deal but it may annoy someone who wants those straps on for support….it doesn’t affect the sunrider feature.
1D1119E1-492E-4A06-AE95-400001F53C89.jpeg

Tried to find a pic with it on but this is the best I have

Last edited:
Reactions: jazngab
I haven't read through every reply but I dont like the frameless soft tops that have a "fastback" look to them..I much prefer an oem style soft top for looks and function. I can take my oem soft top off quicker than my wife's bra

I have the Rampage frameless top and really like it. I prefer it over the factory framed top. The unique thing about the Rampage tops is they have an on-board storage system for the sides and rear panel. There are soft sleeve dividers built in so you can stack everything together and keep them from rubbing. I like it because everything is always right there, no need to take anything apart.
20210821_124140.jpg

16295644103624674020711514454895.jpg

No, the rear window doesn't roll up. It folds up and stores flat inside the top.

Yes, it utilizes the factory door surrounds.

Unfortunately, it does not have a sunrider feature.

Does the rampage frameless need a tailgate bar too? Does it need door surrounds for full doors and half door soft uppers? I just got mine not sure what else I need to get it on

Does the rampage frameless need a tailgate bar too? Does it need door surrounds for full doors and half door soft uppers? I just got mine not sure what else I need to get it on
The Rampage top requires a special header bar over the windshield. Yes, it requires a tailgate bar but you can reuse the factory bar if you had a soft top. It does require door surrounds, factory ones work there too for either style door. It does not come with soft upper doors if you're running half doors.

The Rampage top requires a special header bar over the windshield. Yes, it requires a tailgate bar but you can reuse the factory bar if you had a soft top. It does require door surrounds, factory ones work there too for either style door. It does not come with soft upper doors if you're running half doors.
I've already got soft uppers that i use with my hardtop, I don't think there's ever been a softtop on my jeep. So sounds like I need to buy all 3

Reactions: SvtLdr
I've never had a hard top so I really can't compare. My Jeep doesn't see winter weather any longer either, but I really enjoy my soft top.
20210624_174446.jpg

Reactions: lBasket
I have a best top frameless. I love everything about it, except where the bar in the back goes across the tailgate there is a small gap. It isn't ever a problem except for when it rains. It leaks, but here in AZ when it rains it doesn't mess around so I can accumulate some water back there, but usually 10 minutes later it dries back up because it is blistering hot here. Other that that, I love everything about it. I love being able to flip the top back like a sun roof even when there aren't any windows. It is super easy to put on and remove. And best of all no frame to mess with or rattle. Mine is also extremely quiet, I mean for a soft top.

I just for the life of me cannot figure out why there is a slight gap in between the window and the tailgate. I sent pictures to Bestop and they sent me a new rear window and a new bar, but it was the exact same issue, it didn't resolve anything. You can probably MacGiver something, but it rarely rains here that it isn't really an issue for me.

I've run the Rampage for years on my rig, and love it. I mainly like the convenience of swapping between full top and safari top - which is pretty easy and fast. As has been stated, because of its design it is more difficult than the stock top to go full topless and back.

It does require the door surrounds, and when I run if with the half doors - as in the first picture - I've always hated that look. So over on my build thread, starting on post #812, I made a modification to the surround so that I can remove the lower section, and still leave the upper section in place which is required by the top.

IMG_5116.JPG

On the LJ, I definitely prefer the look of the fastback to the stock top - which in my opinion is crazy long on the LJ.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 45 (20).JPG

I have had a hard top, framed top and a framless trek top nx. I prefer the Trek Top above all. I like the sunrider feature, I have full and half doors and door surrounds.
20210808_155455_copy_800x600.jpg
20210731_143341_copy_800x600.jpg

Reactions: jazngab
Does the trek top comes with all the parts needed for install?

Reactions: ac_