Solar eclipse craziness

tempers flare here

I read that as templers.

history channel win GIF by HISTORY UK

Not worried about the end of the world on this one, but I have a hard enough time driving my truck and trailer about town on normal days that I don't need the added aggrevation of extra people. The extra food and gas is just in case, like @BlueC mentioned, the tourists pick us dry

Not worried about the end of the world on this one, but I have a hard enough time driving my truck and trailer about town on normal days that I don't need the added aggrevation of extra people. The extra food and gas is just in case, like @BlueC mentioned, the tourists pick us dry

I'm sure that you like everyone in New England have enough food to get by but every snow storm it's run to the store.

People need that survival bag of chips, and ice cream in case they can't get out of their house for two hours.

Let us know if you survive.

I have never seen general aviation (little guys not airliners) air traffic as busy as I did for the last eclipse. It was insane. And the worst part was nobody had any idea it was coming so we weren't prepared. We were barely treading water and couldn't figure out what was going on until one of the pilots mentioned the eclipse. We were passing information to pilots that if they didn't already have a parking reservation at certain airports they needed to find an alternate and that many airfields were out of fuel as well. We are calling in extra manning for this year's eclipse (of which I will not be one😆).

I wish I would have taken a pic of Google maps zoomed out to the entire country level because it was more dramatic, but you can clearly see the path in 2017 with the traffic overlay on due to the chaos 😅

Screenshot_20170821-153645.png

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20240322-visible-nova-explosion-is-coming

Move over, solar eclipse: Scientists predict a once-in-a-lifetime nova explosion in the coming months

While the world's attention has been focused on the total solar eclipse that will occur later this spring, the distant Corona Borealis binary system – which contains one dead white dwarf star and one ageing red giant star – has been busy gearing up for its own moment of glory: a spectacular nova explosion.

Located 3,000 light years from Earth, the Corona Borealis is home to a white dwarf star named T Coronae Borealis (or T CrB for short) that's on the verge of what Nasa says will be a once-in-a-lifetime nova eruption.

The rare cosmic event is expected to take place sometime before September 2024. When it occurs it will likely be visible to the naked eye. No expensive telescope will be needed to witness this cosmic performance, says Nasa.

T CrB oubursts only happen about once every 80 years, the last was was back in 1946.

"I'm very excited. This thing is kind of like Halley's Comet – it occurs once every 75 to 80 years – but novas don't get the press Halley's Comet gets," says Nasa’s meteoroid environment program manager William J Cooke. "Comets always get more press."

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20240322-visible-nova-explosion-is-coming

Move over, solar eclipse: Scientists predict a once-in-a-lifetime nova explosion in the coming months

While the world's attention has been focused on the total solar eclipse that will occur later this spring, the distant Corona Borealis binary system – which contains one dead white dwarf star and one ageing red giant star – has been busy gearing up for its own moment of glory: a spectacular nova explosion.

Located 3,000 light years from Earth, the Corona Borealis is home to a white dwarf star named T Coronae Borealis (or T CrB for short) that's on the verge of what Nasa says will be a once-in-a-lifetime nova eruption.

The rare cosmic event is expected to take place sometime before September 2024. When it occurs it will likely be visible to the naked eye. No expensive telescope will be needed to witness this cosmic performance, says Nasa.

T CrB oubursts only happen about once every 80 years, the last was was back in 1946.

"I'm very excited. This thing is kind of like Halley's Comet – it occurs once every 75 to 80 years – but novas don't get the press Halley's Comet gets," says Nasa’s meteoroid environment program manager William J Cooke. "Comets always get more press."

Beep Me Buffy The Vampire Slayer GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
In 2017, in the town I grew up in (225 population), saw a massive influx of people for that eclipse event. The next nearest populated town (5k) is 10 miles away. Chatting with old friends that still live there, the entire 10 mile stretch was a parking lot. Literally bumper to bumper.

that's not encouraging. I have no reservations anywhere but I was thinking of taking the LJ down to southwest Arkansas and finding a place to camp in Ouachita NF. But if even the rural places are overrun I don't know how much fun it's going to be. It's already a 5-ish hour drive.

DFW would be closer but obviously far more people and the traffic there sucks on a normal day.

that's not encouraging. I have no reservations anywhere but I was thinking of taking the LJ down to southwest Arkansas and finding a place to camp in Ouachita NF. But if even the rural places are overrun I don't know how much fun it's going to be. It's already a 5-ish hour drive.

DFW would be closer but obviously far more people and the traffic there sucks on a normal day.

I'm heading nearby there too...from Wisconsin. So there's probably a lot more people than just us who will be there... 🫤

View attachment 512434 :ROFLMAO:

I think he was referring to various statements that many teachers/schools today will not be taking this solar event as an opportunity to share with the kids, but he will have to clarify.

I took it to mean that it was mostly ONLY an opportunity to show kids science, and that it didn't shut down a swath across the entire country.

My wife has conspiracy theorist leanings and isn't thrilled about me being 5 hours away when something like China taking down our entire internet and cell network happens, or a false flag made to look like that in order for the Biden admin to do...something I'm not sure what.

Just more examples of how the internet ruins everything because it removes the most natural barrier to entry for every hobby and interest...which is being unknown.

Reactions: BlueC
My wife has conspiracy theorist leanings and isn't thrilled about me being 5 hours away when something like China taking down our entire internet and cell network happens, or a false flag made to look like that in order for the Biden admin to do...something I'm not sure what.

I too used to dismiss stuff like that, then I lived through the last 5-10 years. :sneaky: Maybe your wife is taking things to the extreme, maybe she's right on the money handing out spoiler alerts. I'm leaning more and more her way with every event. :LOL:

Reactions: DEValken and Zorba