Sometimes I'm amazed at my own idiocy

4 banger TJ

TJ Enthusiast
I’m just gonna cut right to the chase. I locked myself out of the Jeep yesterday. I went into target and I didn’t find what I was looking for. When I came back out I tried to open the doors without my key. It was locked, so I reached into my pocket to grab my keys and to my surprise, they were gone.

Not to worry though, I can just unzip the rear window and climb in. Oh yeah, I just put the hardtop on a few weeks ago. Maybe the rear door is open? Nope, that’s locked too. It looks like I might be screwed here.

Suddenly a wave of panic washes over me, I’m locked out of my own car. I must’ve left my keys sitting in an isle somewhere inside target, I’ll go in and check. The keys, once again, were nowhere to be found. Someone must’ve pickpocketed me! I’m going to go back outside and catch that sum’ bitch before he can drive away!

I go back to the Jeep to find that my keys actually aren’t missing at all, far from it really. The keys are sitting right on top of the dash! I sit there, staring at the keys. They are so close, yet so far away! I call roadside assistance and explain my situation, and they say that they are an hour away.

One hour and twenty minutes. That is the amount of time it took for roadside assistance to finally arrive. Coincidentally, that’s also the same amount of time it took me to contemplate my life choices up to this moment. How could I be so stupid as to do something like this. I’ve done some stupid stuff, but this is a new kind of stupidity, at least for me.

I concluded that the reason my keys are locked in the car is because I pressed the lock buttons on the inside of the door. That way I wouldn’t have to run around and lock the doors from the outside. This shortcut is faster, but as I have just learned, you have to take your keys with you when you leave, or you will not be able to get back in.

When the assistance guy arrived he immediately complained about the fact that this is a TJ, because TJs are harder to unlock for some reason. He had to grab the keys and pull them through the door using a bendy metal rod, which destroyed my key ring but got the key out somehow. He then proceeded to unlock the door, get back into his truck, and leave.

Well, that’s the story! This is actually a lot longer than I initially intended it to be, but I guess got a little carried away. Everybody locks their keys in their car at some point, and I guess it was my time. This was definitely a learning experience that I will not forget.

Last time I did that trick I was only a block from the Ford dealership so I walked there and had them drive me back to my explorer and use their master key. Cost me like 20.00 I think, long time ago. Had I been in my new explorer they would have done it for free. Always hang the keys on my first left beltloop. If I’ve got my pants-I’ve got my keys.

Last edited:
Something I did a long time ago when I was prone to similar moments of brain flatulence. I had a spare key made to put in my wallet. I ended up cutting off most of the handle part of the key just to make it smaller. It only serves as a means to open the door if you have a SKIM key but I always hid an extra key somewhere in the vehicle in case I ever lost the original.

Don't worry, I have more "idiot" moments than I'd care to admit.

It happens to the best of us, and I blame a lot of it on the fact that I have three kids, I'm sleep deprived, and I'm busy as hell!

I also believe the over saturation of information in the digital age accounts for concentration lapses and mistakes.

Reactions: JMT and reddvltj
I jumped in the Jeep to go somewhere for lunch and forgot I now drive a stick.

I couldn't figure out why it was beeping at me non stop. Then I suddenly realized I needed to shift. Then realized the beeping was for the park brake still on as the Jeep almost stalled out. I didn't have the brake pulled up as far as it could go so 1st got it out of the stall a car length when pulling straight ahead before I needed to shift.

I guess after driving one for a month I'm getting more comfortable with it, but my brain crossed the new manual with my old automatic and combined my normal routine.

I haven't locked the keys in my Jeep (yet). But the first thing I did was make a spare and leave it at home for my wife. I should make another and put it in the engine compartment somewhere just in case.

Sorry for your trouble. I never have to worry about locking myself out of any of my 3 vehicles. Two of them are keyless and the doors will not lock with the remote in the car. And even if they did there is an app for both which will unlock the door. Cars are taking over for any worries humans have not to be an idiot.

as for the TJ I never ever lock the doors. Granted I have a soft top which is why I don’t lock the doors.

But I have left the doors unlocked and the keys dangling in the ignition more than once. First time was at work. I park in a parking garage and did not realize I did not have my Jeep keys on me for 3.5 hours. Thank goodness they, and the Jeep were just where I’d left them when I went back. The second time was at the grocery store in the middle of the day.

I attribute stuff like this and what you did to always being in a hurry and always multi tasking.

Reactions: JMT and reddvltj
1573177234300.png

I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why the TJ wasn't getting up to operating temp after overhauling the cooling system when the thermostat was sitting on my workbench right next to my cell phone. I'm an ASE Master Tech. It happens.

I was selling a car and had gotten it ready. It started running like crap and I researched everything. I ended up with thinking it was a bad coil so I took it to a mechanic since I was traveling for work.

I had snapped a spark plug reinstalling it after checking the gaps and it was shorting to the block. I had to unbolt a motor support and rotate the engine forward to even get a wrench on the back plugs.

And people wonder why I own an older Jeep. I'm tired of FWD packed in engines with wires running everywhere.

Could you imagine if the first step in checking your plugs was unbolt the motor mounts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70
I'm not ashamed to admit that one of the reasons I run a soft top is to prevent getting locked out when the top is up. 😜

Reactions: 06TJ35's
Happened to me too. I locked myself out my jeep. I got mad started cussing up a storm then I realized I had a soft top. My mood immediately changed.Climbed into the back window and the rest is history.
Thank god I had a jeep. I also left my girlfriend keys inside her car. That was a different much longer situation.

Reactions: Blondie70

When the assistance guy arrived he immediately complained about the fact that this is a TJ, because TJs are harder to unlock for some reason.

When I locked my keys inside at the grocery store, the locksmith said the same thing about TJs. It took him a long time to open the door.

After the ordeal, my next stop was the hardware store to get a copy made to hide in a place I can get to it. And I have used that spare key at least once. :)

Last edited:
I did this once... no actually twice in my TJ. I was able to get in both times somehow and snatch the key, I think someone lended me some wire or something and I was able to get to the key by running through the top of the window sill. Anyways from now on I hide a spare under the engine compartment. It's always good to have a Plan B.

One time in high school I locked my keys in my '90 Miata. No problem, I thought, since I always kept a spare in my wallet. Little did I know that I also left my wallet, with spare key, in my now locked car. That was fun. After that I stopped locking that car.

Could you imagine if the first step in checking your plugs was unbolt the motor mounts.

Just imagine owning a boxer motor... I'm not looking forward to changing the plugs on my BRZ. 65k on the stock ones and they're still running fine. I'll change them when it starts running like crap.