Sony MEX-XB100BT CD Receiver

MexiJeeper

TJ Enthusiast
Hey fellow TJers,

Yesterday I completed the install of said unit and a set of four Kicker speakers. Mexico radio sucks so I will be listening to Sirius Sat.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VupColAewNX/p_158XB100BT/Sony-MEX-XB100BT.html

I want to thank @Reign Mack for turning me on to this most excellent radio.

The sound of this system is fantastic. I wish it would crank louder as 50 as the volume doesn't quite blow my brain through my ears. Can't do max volume for too long but it sure did take me back to those rock concerts of the 60s. I know anything would have been a vast improvement of the stock radio in my 2006 X but I honestly didn't expect how pleased I would be with this Sony. The mids and highs are crisp and with no sub woofer I was surprised how good the bass was. I bought 4 X 6 speakers for the front and 5 1/4 for the rear. Overall I'm pleased with the speakers but if I had it to do all over again I would go to 6 1/2s for the rear or add a sub. Since the sound quality is almost infinitely adjustable I think I'll be happy as is...maybe.

Wiring was pretty straight forward. The TJ harness adapter was color coded to the radio wires so that even an electronic dunce such as myself made an easy time of it. If you can wire a light bar then you can install this radio. I would highly suggest you buy your toys from Crutchfield. They included all of the harness/speaker adapters, front speaker plates and dash bezel at no extra cost. I spoke with a rep that put the entire package together for me. Best customer service on the web. Make sure to buy a few packs of these wire connectors. Makes the install much easier.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_669PP500/Posi-Products-Car-Stereo-Connectors.html?cc=07&tp=61469

Before I mounted the rear speakers I filled the sound bar cavity around the speakers with poly-fill. Unfortunately this fill was shredded and not one big fluffy piece. Made it impossible to use in the front. Such is living in Mexico.

After the install was complete I was unhappy with the sound of the 4 X 6 front speakers. A bit too tinny and not enough bass. Since Crutchfield supplied me with a second set of round speaker front adapter plates as well I installed the OEM 5 1/4s from the rear to the front. Definitely created more bass but it lost the highs since there was no tweeter. If only I could enclose the 4 X 6s I was sure it would pump up the bass. Then the idea hit me to use the plastic OEM front speaker enclosures. Chrysler would never have added these front enclosure boxes if a free mounted speaker would have worked. Sooooo I cut an oval hole in the boxes with my Dremel and mounted the 4 X 6s again. WOW what a difference! Now the fronts have excellent bass, mids and highs. I be happy. Cruising is now a new level of fun.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg