Looking to get better audio out of my TJ

Amancuso

Looking for a solution to get better sound overall in my 2002 Jeep TJ. I’ve replaced all 4 speakers with high end 5 1/4 Polk audio, in the front I’m using speaker pods in the dash. I’ve jammed some poly fill in the sound bar, and installed a brand new Sony XAV AX7000 which puts out 45 watts to each speaker. I thought that doing this I would be blown away by the sound, but instead, it just sounds disappointing, loads of highs, some mids, no bass whatsoever. I do not have a subwoofer, but I figured with this set up and the power it produces, I’d get more! Any ideas on how to improve?

08751A03-BD92-4E62-8E82-674A9AB83206.jpeg

6.5" will fit in the soundbar. An amp certainly helps. Biggest difference I noticed was adding a sub

There's so much ambient noise in a TJ that excellent sound is an illusion. 6.5" speakers in the pods, a small amp, and a subwoofer is the answer.

The more you spend, the bigger target you are for thieves. Get close and call it done!
Do you think the thieves know how nice my speakers are being covered by grilles? Or how nice my amp is being hidden up in my dash? I mean they could tear it apart and find out, but at that point it would be a hit or miss for them as they could do the same to any TJ.

Reactions: Irun
Do you think the thieves know how nice my speakers are being covered by grilles? Or how nice my amp is being hidden up in my dash? I mean they could tear it apart and find out, but at that point it would be a hit or miss for them as they could do the same to any TJ.
They know. TJs are a magnet for DA thieves. Sometimes they get lucky!

I just tried a 6.5 Polk (dB series, maybe you have MM series?) and the stock 5.25 speaker had more bass.

Then I tried three more different models of speakers. None could match the stock speakers. I was using the stock HU if that matters.

So I left the stock speakers. I think you would need a sub if running aftermarket speakers.

Any recommendations on 6.5s that will fit in the sound bar?
My personal take is it's a matter of preference. I just installed a set of 6.5" Orion speakers. Normally, I go Polk or Rockford Fosgate. These surprised me and they can handle an amplifier. I had to notch the stock speaker pods, but once I did, and filled the pods with poly, they sounded better than expected.

YfZRg0W.jpg

PlIomOb.jpg

Reactions: Caledonian
Best scenario. Trail rig...and hidden in the garage. That's what mine does! ;)
Yep, I mean I guess if someone managed to break into my garage, but that would be pretty bold considering someone is almost always home.

Reactions: Irun
My personal take is it's a matter of preference. I just installed a set of 6.5" Orion speakers. Normally, I go Polk or Rockford Fosgate. These surprised me and they can handle an amplifier. I had to notch the stock speaker pods, but once I did, and filled the pods with poly, they sounded better than expected.

View attachment 225075

View attachment 225076
Which Orion’s are you running?

If you can't do it yourself, spend a few bucks and get a stereo shop to install a 2 channel amp (kenwood is great) that puts out 60+ watts RMS per channel and run some Kenwood 6x9's in carpeted MDF boxes in the back. That power is far more than what your deck puts out, and it will sound amazing. Worth the money if you like your audio. I've done many car amp setups, and personally I would just get a shop to do mine next time as its fairly cheap. Run front speakers off head unit.