Soon to be Newbie from NOVA

You can always get a new frame. That is the thing about wranglers...there are a TON of them out there, and a lot of them are in decent shape still, sitting around in junkyards. Rust is not the end of the world, you just have to create a plan of attack and be honest about what you want and where you want to put your resources (time AND money). Is it better to spend the coin on a rust free, 100% ready to tub, or get a wrecked one with the good panels you need (to cut out and repair another tub). Is it better to spend money on Safety Caps, or get a whole frame? Can you weld? Its all part of the fun. A lot of guys here will run from anything that has a speck of rust on it, saying its gonna fall apart in days.

Do I wish I would have gotten a totally rust free jeep? Sure...but realistically, there isn't ANY way I would have paid 15-20 K for a 2004 Jeep Wrangler. For not a lot more, I could have gotten a two year old JK with less than 20K miles (I know, because shortly after I got my TJ, My folks bought said JK) Unlike most here, I like JK's...but I also like TJ's. I had a set amount of money to spend, and I got what I could.

My advice...Go through it and make a list. Rank in order of priority. Safety things that need fixing (frame rot, brakes, steering, tires, etc), Maintenance Items that need done. Things like Diff and tranny fluid, coolant, etc. THEN get to the stuff you want to do. You want to make sure the vehicle is safe and reliable (it probably is if it was a daily driver) to your standards, before you go sinking a lot of money into the "Fun" stuff.

Thank you so much for that great piece of advice. I’m definitely going to get her running right first before installing mods. I did get a set of used alloy wheels/tires that I’ll throw on there. Then it’s on to frame evaluation, then maintenance items. I’m super excited and get wait to add another expensive hobby to the list. I’m sure my wife can’t wait [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to give you guys an update. I also plan on starting a build thread. I had taken her in to be evaluated by a local 4x4 shop. Biggest issue was the exhaust manifold gasket leak. They said the frame rust was minimal.

I got the exhaust gasket repaired and have since replaced the muffler and tailpipe. I had no issues removing the skid plate, but I had to cut the old muffler out since it was welded instead of bolted.

I have replaced the rear lower control arms and got lucky on rear upper shock bolts, those came right off without issue. I thought it was a good idea to replace the O2 sensors, but even with the skid and muffler out that baby wouldn’t budge. Pics to come on the build thread. Thanks again for all the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris