Soundbar Speaker Removal Issues

Breto31

TJ Enthusiast
I had a blown front dash speaker, so I decided to just upgrade all of my speakers at the same time. The 2 in the dash were super easy, and had no issues…. moved onto the soundbar, and I’m stuck. I cannot figure out how to get my old speakers OUT of the soundbar.

All of the videos I’ve found just say “remove the screws holding it in,” but mine doesn’t have any screws that I can access. It’s like the speaker has a cover on it, blocking the screws. I can see them, but I can’t get to them…… I thought I might be able to just pop/pry it off (like it was a cover), but it appears to be part of the actual speaker.

I can’t get these things out for the life of me!

EDIT: I’ve also tried twisting them as if maybe they’d unscrew or come loose, and they won’t budge.

8EFF7C5A-80DF-4933-94FE-7562E3A7BB95.jpeg

B4A02068-8D45-4F6B-8071-0734262E53E7.jpeg

I had a blown front dash speaker, so I decided to just upgrade all of my speakers at the same time. The 2 in the dash were super easy, and had no issues…. moved onto the soundbar, and I’m stuck. I cannot figure out how to get my old speakers OUT of the soundbar.

All of the videos I’ve found just say “remove the screws holding it in,” but mine doesn’t have any screws that I can access. It’s like the speaker has a cover on it, blocking the screws. I can see them, but I can’t get to them…… I thought I might be able to just pop/pry it off (like it was a cover), but it appears to be part of the actual speaker.

EDIT: I’ve also tried twisting them as if maybe they’d unscrew or come loose, and they won’t budge.

View attachment 395415

View attachment 395416

I know this sounds extreme, but if you’re replacing them, you could always just cut into that mesh cover, so that you can access the screws.

Subscribing because I was thinking of doing the same.

Is the wiring easy to do? Just disconnect the old and connect the new ones?

Stab a screwdriver in the grill and pry. Done.
Diamond Audio makes some expensive speakers. Pry them on opposite sides at the same time (where the ridges are).

b4a02068-8d45-4f6b-8071-0734262e53e7-jpeg.395416

Ya, maybe just leave them. They are probably already upgraded more than the upgrade you are planning to put in. What speakers were in the dash?

Or you could just stab a screwdriver into the grill and be done in 30 seconds.

Subscribing because I was thinking of doing the same.

Is the wiring easy to do? Just disconnect the old and connect the new ones?

The fronts were simple. I had OEM speakers in there, which have these simple male/female clips (male on the speaker end, female on the dash side) that plug the speaker straight into the wiring under the dash with no splicing involved…. since I was putting in aftermarket speakers, I had to buy the little plastic adapter plates to make a 4x6 speaker fit correctly. The adapter plates came with 2 male plugs for the back of the speakers that I THOUGHT would plug right into the OEM female end under the dash, but they didn’t. Maybe they fit the wiring on JK/JL’s but the didn’t fit my TJ.

Anyway, I just cut the female end of the plugs off under the dash, the spliced the wires that came with my new speakers. Took about 10 mins to do both. I spent more time assembling the new speakers to the plastic adapters than I did actually wiring them up.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Stab a screwdriver in the grill and pry. Done.

Ya, maybe just leave them. They are probably already upgraded more than the upgrade you are planning to put in. What speakers were in the dash?

Or you could just stab a screwdriver into the grill and be done in 30 seconds.

I would keep them, but they’re junk. I’ll go into the mesh…. I hadn’t thought of this until I was eating dinner tonight.

Reactions: Vtx531

View attachment 395415

View attachment 395416
I am having the exact same problem. How did you eventually get the mesh grills off?

I am having the exact same problem. How did you eventually get the mesh grills off?

I didn’t. Those speakers weren’t bad, so I just left them in, and kept the replacements for when/if they do go bad. It’s a future me problem, I guess.