Spacing of front UCA reinforcement bracket?

GASnBRASS

TJ Enthusiast
When welding in a front axle UCA renforcement bracket did you weld it flush with the front edge, or did you space it back so the lower edge contacts/welds to the axle tube? Would further back interfere with a JJ conversion later on?

20210706_152742.jpg

20210706_152753.jpg

• USA Proud
Reactions: CharlesHS
Space it back just enough to get a nice space to get a bead in the “corner” between the two pieces and enough that it allows you to get a bead to the tube as well. The entire bottom doesn’t need to be welded to the tube side to side. More is probably better though…
As long as you don’t push it back so far that you intrude into the opening of the holes for the bushing you will be ok…

Reactions: GASnBRASS
When welding in a front axle UCA renforcement bracket did you weld it flush with the front edge, or did you space it back so the lower edge contacts/welds to the axle tube? Would further back interfere with a JJ conversion later on?

View attachment 263715

View attachment 263716
I like your idea of installing the rear reinforcement of the factory stamped steel bracket. That reinforcement will not only strengthen the mount, but make the replacement of the bushing much easier; it wont collapse the bracket while pressing the new one in...
Years ago I sheared off that bracket on a trail in the Big Bear Mountains; didn't realize it until I heard a rattling sounds later down the trail. The additional welding points and strengthening of the bracket would have precluded that from happening.