Spare key

I locked my key in my Jeep at a campsite once. My Dad had to drive an hour out there to give me my spare.

After that, never again...

So I bought a magnetic key box and put it on the inside of my chassis (not on the fender well or anything silly like that where it's most obvious). I wrapped my spare with a piece of cloth so that it won't bounce around in the box, works great for me!

I found a brand new spare key in a magnetic key box under the hood stuck on the firewall on mine. The magnetic box was rusty, probably stuck there when my 97 was new.

Reactions: Kyle_W
Same here. Magnetic box. But I painted mine with matching touch up paint so it wouldn't scream "spare key". Not sure what it's called but sometimes there's an obvious empty place on TJs under the hood in front of the steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's a good idea. Get a magnetic box and stick it somewhere up under the frame rail (or tuck it on top of the skid plate is what I would do). No one would ever look there, and it would save you from locking yourself out.

I will say however... The Wrangler TJ is extremely easy to open with a hanger. It's almost a joke how easy I can open mine with a metal hanger.

I'm always afraid I'm going to lose my keys when camping, kayaking, biking, etc. I keep a spare door key under my hood. It's hidden (not saying where!) and attached by mechanics wire. That allows me to get back into the vehicle where I have a spare ignition key in a metal safe that is under the seat. The safe has a combination lock. I also lock my vehicle ownership and insurance papers along with my wheel lock nut in the safe. I'm not comfortable leaving them in the glove box or console with the top down.

Reactions: Chris
So I'm starting make locking my keys in the jeep a habit. What are your thoughts on a spare key storage area?

I have a flat spare key I keep in my wallet. Granted, my keys aren't the chip type, so they can be just simple metal ones...
Other than that, I usually use some bailing wire and attach one to a fairly hidden/protected part of the undercarriage just in case something goes way wrong and I don't even have my wallet.

Reactions: Kyle_W
Have you looked at how much space is in the fuze box under your hood?

So this is a little tangential. I only have one key to my 2kTJ, and it's looking a little worn. Before I get a dupe made, maybe it's time to replace the key cylinder with a new one and then get new keys. What do folks think? Is this a hard job?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

So this is a little tangential. I only have one key to my 2kTJ, and it's looking a little worn. Before I get a dupe made, maybe it's time to replace the key cylinder with a new one and then get new keys. What do folks think? Is this a hard job?

Why would you do that? Just go to Home Depot and get a coue of keys made.

The problem is when you copy a very worn key you end up with a very worn copy. If the cylinder wears a little more all the keys will stop working.

This is not a hard problem! Get new key made. If it balks put it to a wire wheel for a bit. There us no way I would change cylinders for this issue.

I just got a non chip Honda key done at the dealership for $8.(yes I'm the guy that lost all three keys I had) Went in with registration they need vin # and drivers license was in and out in 10 min

This is so true. I've never locked my doors (or my center consul) since I bought my jeep. It's pointless. Especially when the top is off. The only thing I lock is my tailgate.

X2. Never locked my door since I've owned it!

Reactions: UpperMI