Spare Tire License Plate Mount For Bestop Highrock Carrier

S

Smitty61416

Has anyone with a bestop highrock spare tire carrier added a license plate mount to the carrier? I’m trying to figure out if the JKS spare tire license plate mount will work or if there is a better one out there with a license plate light included?
image.jpg

I was just looking at that one myself. It was just the bracket for the lp and nothing to mount it all to the tire carrier. That’s where I’m stuck. What did you do to attach it to the carrier?

The 3 little LED lights you see on the License plate bracket can be wired into you third brake light wire and come on red for your third brake light. The white license plate lights are on the underside of the bracket.

Reactions: Alaska-HWY JK
I went through my order history on Quadratec to find the Warrior Products plate holder I bought when I had the same set-up. For whatever reason, it's $105 as opposed to the $75 I paid for it.

I wired my holder a little differently. In Illinois, a third brake light isn't required by law. I rewired the tub-side contact points at the hinge of the tailgate to the tail lights (instead of the brake light). The license plate lit up whenever the headlights were on.

I went through my order history on Quadratec to find the Warrior Products plate holder I bought when I had the same set-up. For whatever reason, it's $105 as opposed to the $75 I paid for it.

I wired my holder a little differently. In Illinois, a third brake light isn't required by law. I rewired the tub-side contact points at the hinge of the tailgate to the tail lights (instead of the brake light). The license plate lit up whenever the headlights were on.
Thanks for that info. I was planning on doing the same thing with the tailgate contacts since I got rid of my third brake light a few years ago anyway. It’s nice to know it will actually work!

Thanks for that info. I was planning on doing the same thing with the tailgate contacts since I got rid of my third brake light a few years ago anyway. It’s nice to know it will actually work!

It was kind of an "ah-hah!" moment.

A friend of mine who knows a lot more about cars in general was helping me do the wiring. We were going to run covered wires from the tail light up into the carrier when we realized we'd totally overlooked the contacts in the tailgate! I was so used to seeing them that I forgot they were even there. From what I remember, rewiring them wasn't very hard at all.

Good luck!

I was just looking at that one myself. It was just the bracket for the lp and nothing to mount it all to the tire carrier. That’s where I’m stuck. What did you do to attach it to the carrier?

Get a 1/2" coupling nut. First put a 1/2NF regular nut on the long stud in the pic, that's your jam nut. Mount the lite plate to the coupling nut with a short 1/2NF bolt, screw it on to the stud, hold it in place with your jam nut. Easy peasy...

Reactions: Smitty61416
Has anyone with a bestop highrock spare tire carrier added a license plate mount to the carrier? I’m trying to figure out if the JKS spare tire license plate mount will work or if there is a better one out there with a license plate light included?

Is that the way that you bought the jeep? That kit comes with a riser/mount for the third brake light assy.

I'm just thinking, if you wanted to, you could modify they to hold your plate and light.