Spartan vs TruTrac

MellowYellow

TJ Enthusiast
As I see it, the locker has the edge offroad, but for a daily driver wouldn't the occasional 'bang' be a bad thing on a wet road? I had a Chevy truck with a Lockright that would rattle my teeth when it 'jumped a tooth'..for lack of a better term. Short wb Wrangler with 12.50 tires might be a handful. Anybody had both?

As I see it, the locker has the edge offroad, but for a daily driver wouldn't the occasional 'bang' be a bad thing on a wet road? I had a Chevy truck with a Lockright that would rattle my teeth when it 'jumped a tooth'..for lack of a better term. Short wb Wrangler with 12.50 tires might be a handful. Anybody had both?
P.S. It will be in a soon-to-be Super 35, if it matters .

I had an Aussie automatic locker in my Dana 35 way back when and I hated it. It ratchet all the time specially in my work parking garage lol

Selectable lockers are the way to go IMHO if you can afford them.
ARB, OX, Eaton E-Locker etc..

I wouldn't lock a Dana 35 unless it was upgraded to a super 35

I had an Aussie automatic locker in my Dana 35 way back when and I hated it. It ratchet all the time specially in my work parking garage lol

Selectable lockers are the way to go IMHO if you can afford them.
ARB, OX, Eaton E-Locker etc..

I wouldn't lock a Dana 35 unless it was upgraded to a super 35
Selectable don't fit my checkbook just now, and I'll definitely get chromoly axles and sleeves for the 35.

Selectable don't fit my checkbook just now, and I'll definitely get chromoly axles and sleeves for the 35.

I hear ya man

What size tires are you running? I snapped 2 Dana 35 Axle shafts up in River Rock ORV in GA because of the Aussie locker after the second set I ripped out the Aussie and put back my spider gears. I was running 33's at the time.

A Super 35 is 1000+ depending on which locker you choose, which is what you need to a lock a 35. You could run a Truetrac but it is not a locker. It is a gear driven limited slip and works great but not like a locker especially when wheels are being lifted.

Every locker will bang, some more than others. A Detroit locker will pop and bang, more so with a manual trans. The select lockers of course will not unless locked, which you should not do a dry pavement.

So your options are a Super 35 with whatever locker you feel will work best; or a Truetrac and live with the trade offs of a LSD vs a true locker.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
I should have mentioned I'm running 33s and will be using 4.10 gears. 95% on paved roads but don't want to be 'unprepared' on an occasional offroad adventure.

Also, no Truetrac with 30 splines for the Dana 35... so if you're going Super 35 your options are a Detroit locker or a selectable.

A Detroit locker will pop and bang, more so with a manual trans.
Once you have learned how the Detroit Locker likes to be driven, it's not bad at all. I installed mine when my first TJ had a 5-speed manual transmission and within a few days, I barely noticed its presence. After I converted from the 5-speed to the automatic it was even better. It behaved well enough that there are few I wouldn't recommend one to. Those who have to drive on icy or snow covered roads, those who have others like wives or their kids driving it, or sissies/nervous drivers who aren't comfortable with anything that doesn't drive like a stock car. I miss the hell out of my Detroit Locker, it worked well and was butt-simple to wheel with. Point and shoot. :)

Reactions: Rob5589
This is the textbook defintion of a rear lunchbox locker is a poor choice :).

Also don’t sleeve the 35.

Why not put the lunchbox in the front?
Sleeves no help? My biggest concern is wet roads on curvy/hilly roads and the occasional snow and rarely some ice. Front locker might hurt steering? Offroad steering wouldn't matter as much. Maybe I could donate plasma and get enough money for an Ox!!

Sleeves no help? My biggest concern is wet roads on curvy/hilly roads and the occasional snow and rarely some ice. Front locker might hurt steering? Offroad steering wouldn't matter as much. Maybe I could donate plasma and get enough money for an Ox!!
Yeah sorry didn't catch the fact you drive in snow. Nix the front auto locker idea.

5 spd, 04. 4.0 if that matters.
It does to the making the correct axle ratio decision, which is why I asked. For 33" tires, 5-speed, and 4.0L engine you really want 4.56, not 4.10. 4.10 is what the factory installs into the Rubicon for 31" tires, that ratio is not also optimal for 33's. Go with 4.56, you'll be much happier with the results.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
if you decide to put a aussie locker in the front Dana 30 , IMO you will really like it . I did and its awsome. yes i hear a mild click on sharp turns but that just lets me know it working and I think its kinda cool. But when you put it in 4x4 off road , it is locked up and ready to work. Ive had a blast with it. When I get the funds id like to put a OX in the rear , love the manual shifting stuff. ha.

It does to the making the correct axle ratio decision, which is why I asked. For 33" tires, 5-speed, and 4.0L engine you really want 4.56, not 4.10. 4.10 is what the factory installs into the Rubicon for 31" tires, that ratio is not also optimal for 33's. Go with 4.56, you'll be much happier with the results.
I've thought about that.

I've thought about that.
I had 4.10 and 33's on my first TJ and I hated it.... just not quite enough gear. I had to downshift for even minor (minor!) grades. I wouldn't go with 4.10 for 33's again, that's personal experience with that combination talking.