Speedometer randomly dying

D M

CEL free! (again)
Supporting Member
I've been having this problem that just started about 4 days ago. My speedometer is suddenly dying and not responding with my correlating speed, but then it will randomly come back on to the correct speed I'm at. All my other gauges work, and I pulled apart the dash to clean the connections to make sure they were clean/tight with electronic cleaner, didn't seem to help. I have a blue monkey speedo healer and a JB conversions SS SYE, I don't think it is my speedo healer since I checked all my connections and they are tight, the speedohealer also lights up when I turn on the jeep so it cant be that. Could it be my tone ring sensor is failing? Is there any way to check if it is? Thanks

I have the exact same setup (Speedo Healer/JB SS SYE) and a few years back had the same issue as you are experiencing. It ended up being the tone ring sensor. I contacted JB about it and they sent me a replacement free of charge. Has been solid ever since.

Reactions: D M
Similar issue back in the day--the nut on the output yoke was not torqued enough. IIRC JB Conversions states that it needs to be torqued to 200-225 ft/lbs.

Similar issue back in the day--the nut on the output yoke was not torqued enough. IIRC JB Conversions states that it needs to be torqued to 200-225 ft/lbs.
I remember hearing that, I tourqed mine to 220 when I installed it

I have the exact same setup (Speedo Healer/JB SS SYE) and a few years back had the same issue as you are experiencing. It ended up being the tone ring sensor. I contacted JB about it and they sent me a replacement free of charge. Has been solid ever since.
Sent them an email, im geting a new one free of charge. Just curious, do you know why they randomly fail?

I have this issue as well. Speedometer drops out usually when running down the freeway. I have a speedohealer as well.

Speedometer always comes back. I checked connections ect. but seeing that it is intermittent its not easy to tell whats wrong.

Haven't thought of checking torque.

I have 241 tcase, anyone else have issues with stock tone ring?

I have this issue as well. Speedometer drops out usually when running down the freeway. I have a speedohealer as well.

Speedometer always comes back. I checked connections ect. but seeing that it is intermittent its not easy to tell whats wrong.

Haven't thought of checking torque.

I have 241 tcase, anyone else have issues with stock tone ring?
Replaced vss speed sensor and this resolved my issue.

I've been having this problem that just started about 4 days ago. My speedometer is suddenly dying and not responding with my correlating speed, but then it will randomly come back on to the correct speed I'm at. All my other gauges work, and I pulled apart the dash to clean the connections to make sure they were clean/tight with electronic cleaner, didn't seem to help. I have a blue monkey speedo healer and a JB conversions SS SYE, I don't think it is my speedo healer since I checked all my connections and they are tight, the speedohealer also lights up when I turn on the jeep so it cant be that. Could it be my tone ring sensor is failing? Is there any way to check if it is? Thanks
If you have speedo cable it's bad you didn't say what year jeep you have. Failing Capacitor in ECU

If you have speedo cable it's bad you didn't say what year jeep you have. Failing Capacitor in ECU
Found out the issue was my speedohealer cable got pinched in the tcase linkage causing it to ground out. I removed it and re routed it and havent had any problems since

Reactions: Paul Land