Speedometer Wiring

nuffsaid

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am ditching the ECM/PCM in my cummins coversion and I am using a replacement gauge package from intellitronix. I believe the factory VSS needs a 5 volt signal to work properly but I am not sure where to get the 5 volt signal. Maybe from the cummins ecm?

I have a voltmeter and know how to use it, I am just wondering where is a good place to find a 5v feed.

Why dont you use the orriginal jeep 5V VSS referance or have you completely gutted the factory harness and ECM?

Help us help you. We have no idea what's been removed electrically in your jeep.

Have you referred to the FSM for your jeeps wiring diagram?

The Cummins ecm has multiple 5v supplies. You can sign up for a free login on quick serve online and use your engine serial number to get a schematic. They will be designated as “sensor supplies”.

Reactions: pagrey
The Cummins ecm has multiple 5v supplies. You can sign up for a free login on quick serve online and use your engine serial number to get a schematic. They will be designated as “sensor supplies”.

I am signed up for quick serve on line, but I haven't accessed it yet. I will give it a try.

Why dont you use the orriginal jeep 5V VSS referance or have you completely gutted the factory harness and ECM?

Help us help you. We have no idea what's been removed electrically in your jeep.

Have you referred to the FSM for your jeeps wiring diagram?

I have gutted the oem pcm and related wiring. The PO removed air bags, so I will try and clean up all of the wiring. I am using an intellitronix digital gauge setup made for the TJ, but I need a 5volt feed for the VSS. At this point I am trying to figure out the route I will take as I am still missing the installation kit for my engine which includes the wiring harness that goes into the cab and the throttle pedal assembly and murphy gauge.

I logged into quickserve online and I found the wiring schematic. Would I need to splice into one of the 5v feeds to feed my vss? Will tapping into a feed cause any issues with the sensor that the feed was going to?

I called tech support at Intellitronix yesterday and we determined the best solution would be to install a GPS sending unit for the speedometer. Sending unit is on it's way.