Spider gears broke on my JK 2013 Sport

Bea

Hi,
I have a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited with 52k miles. I started hearing some grinding noise, had a mechanic replace brakes and rotors which were down to the metal. When he took off my tire, he noticed seal on axel of my rear wheel was leaking. He took off hatch on axel to get in and saw the gears missing chunks of metal. I bought the Jeep brand new and low mileage. I took it to the dealership and of course my warranty expired 2 weeks ago. . Mechanic gave me a quote for rebuilt rear differential parts and labor $2,200. Does that sound reasonable? I’ve only taken my Jeep camping, Tahoe for snowboarding and Yosemite in the snow. No crazy 4x4ing. Seems weird for all that to break.

Thank you,
Bea

Hi,
I have a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited with 52k miles. I started hearing some grinding noise, had a mechanic replace brakes and rotors which were down to the metal. When he took off my tire, he noticed seal on axel of my rear wheel was leaking. He took off hatch on axel to get in and saw the gears missing chunks of metal. I bought the Jeep brand new and low mileage. I took it to the dealership and of course my warranty expired 2 weeks ago. . Mechanic gave me a quote for rebuilt rear differential parts and labor $2,200. Does that sound reasonable? I’ve only taken my Jeep camping, Tahoe for snowboarding and Yosemite in the snow. No crazy 4x4ing. Seems weird for all that to break.

Thank you,
Bea

A69F5EF5-02AD-4188-B315-523B0E63ADBB.jpeg

This is why they are called stealerships and why I will never take my vehicles to them. They are ripping you off. A regear is more work and is $700 in my area.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
That's a really high price. Typically labor for installing new gears is around $1200-$1500, and a set of new gears themselves are about $700.

However, realize that's for both front and rear axles, not just the rear. You should be paying probably $1500 or so I would say.

Of course it depends on the extent of the damage. I'm not sure if the differential is damaged as well, in which case that would add more money to the cost.

Thanks for your replies. I am not taking it to the dealership to be repaired. The quote was from a local mechanic after the dealership told me my warranty had expired 3 weeks ago. As far as I know, the gears are damaged and the seal on the right back axel was leaking but they recommended a rebuilt rear differential instead of just replacing the pieces and that’s what the $2,200 quote was for. Is this normal for those gears to break like that with just 52k miles? Just curious.

-Bea