Sport tub on Rubicon frame?

Mikeythemikster

TJ Enthusiast
I have a 2002 sport with 3.5 inch suspension lift and 1.5 body lift i also have a 2004 rubicon id like to swap the tub from the sport to the rubicon will the wiring harness from the rubicon plug into the sport tub with no issues? I realize i will have to rewire the lockers but thats fine i dont really like the idea of the single switch anyhow.

I have a 2002 sport with 3.5 inch suspension lift and 1.5 body lift i also have a 2004 rubicon id like to swap the tub from the sport to the rubicon will the wiring harness from the rubicon plug into the sport tub with no issues? I realize i will have to rewire the lockers but thats fine i dont really like the idea of the single switch anyhow.
No the harness is different in the dash. Different radio, different speedometer, etc. If you are doing all that work, changing the tub harness really won't be that much more.

So i couldnt take the whole tub off my sport and put it on the rubicon frame without swapping the dash harness? Idc if the lockers run off the switch i can wire them up separately.

Rubi has an electronic speedo, Sport has a mechanical speedo.
All TJs have electronic speedometers, whether it's a Rubicon or any other model TJ. Both models generate the speedometer's required electronic square-wave timing signal through hall-effect transducers mounted near or on the tailshaft cone. It has been many years since any cars or Jeeps came with mechanical speedometers.

The Rubicon just doesn't use a replaceable speedometer gear to calibrate the speedometer like standard TJs do, it requires an electronic calibrator or programmer to recalibrate it.

Last edited:
All TJs have electronic speedometers, whether it's a Rubicon or any other model TJ. Both models generate the speedometer's required electronic square-wave timing signal through hall-effect transducers mounted near or on the tailshaft cone. It has been many years since any cars or Jeeps came with mechanical speedometers.

The Rubicon just doesn't use a replaceable speedometer gear to calibrate the speedometer like standard TJs do, it requires an electronic calibrator or programmer to recalibrate it.
Any recommendations on an electronic calibrator/programmer to do this? Thank you! :)

Any recommendations on an electronic calibrator/programmer to do this? Thank you! :)
I've got one of these coming today or tomorrow. It looks pretty good, I'll let you know how it works. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=323468753684

I've tried several other products that were supposed to reprogram the CPU, but none of them worked for me. This one is supposed to be inline and change the pulses, so the CPU doesn't need to be reprogrammed.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Remember after you swap the tub. The jeep will be a 2002 tj sport. Because of the vin number. (Legally speaking)
Unless there is a legal way to swap the vin plate that i am unaware of.

This is the best option. Its plug and play for the most part. You will have to splice into wiring but its only 3. Has two programs so you can run different sized wheels.
I saw an installation video and there was no splicing necessary. The adaptor cable plugs in to the original socket on the transfer case, then the original plug goes in to a socket on the adaptor cable. If you don't get the adaptor cable, tworley is correct, you will need to splice into the wiring.

Reactions: tworley
Remember after you swap the tub. The jeep will be a 2002 tj sport. Because of the vin number. (Legally speaking)
Unless there is a legal way to swap the vin plate that i am unaware of.

I’m in Wyoming and if I did that here I would have to get a state assigned VIN and they would consider it basically a home built.
That’s what the state inspector told me when he came out to look at an old CJ I had. I decided it was too much work and sent it on down the line.

So does a sport body on a rubicon platform warrant a rubicon decal? :risas3:

Its all about the vin right?

Haha no rubicon decal going in it.
Only have a few things left to do on it now had 3 cab mounts break so i have to cut in through the top and pull em out and put nuts on, install the currie currectlync adjust the teraflex track bars and install the novak shifter cable then after all this install the revolution 5.38 gears

I wasn't going down that path. Just wanted to make sure the OP carried the right insurance and registration card for the jeep.
I couldn't help myself.
Haha no rubicon decal going in it.
Only have a few things left to do on it now had 3 cab mounts break so i have to cut in through the top and pull em out and put nuts on, install the currie currectlync adjust the teraflex track bars and install the novak shifter cable then after all this install the revolution 5.38 gears
I have no issue either way. Its a reference to a thread a while back.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw
Thanks, I was trying to find this post.

Yes, it came the next day. It took about 10 minutes to install and program, and now my speedo is 100% spot-on. Kind of pricy, but it worked so, highly recommended.
Awesome, thank you! Were you able to program anything other than the speedo? Odometer? anything in the PCM? :)