Spraying Windex on frame?

Phosphoric acid is amazing at removing rust and preparing metal for paint. Acetone is also a great cleaner, but the acid really hits the rust.

I love the aesthetic of a super clean frame but it's just not possible here where I live in New Jersey. We have salted roads and snowy landscapes. Once I move down south to Georgia, keeping the frame super pristine clean might be probable but at that point I'll be using my TJ as a daily driver again. Currently I keep it stored in the winter since I'm up in the Northeast.

Reactions: mattyice2
Before and after. This Eastwood stuff seems to work pretty good.
277960962_507444574184547_7847465363907517300_n.jpg
Frame 2.jpg

Windex is a ghetto choice. :) Do it exactly how the paint manufacturer says to do it.

If you can't find that info use water and a detergent of some kind followed by a solvent that doesn't leave a film and will cut grease, oil, and silicone. Your Eaestwood product is probably good and so would something like Prepsolv. In a pinch Ive used a lot of laquer thinner.
Prep-sol is basically Lacquer thinner

Reactions: steelhd
Judging by the outside job, he didn't tackle the inside. My frame was spotless outside and I still got some rust chips from the inside, before coating it.

View attachment 323102
With that much scale inside my frame I also have decided that there is no point in using a drill and chains, or attempting to paint or use fluid film. I have decided to just high pressure airblow and very limited washing on warm day. In my case cutting out sections of the frame sandblasting the inside and then patching the frame is the only permanent real solution

Reactions: TheBoogieman