Squeaky Clutch

YES.... after awhile...
Poked my head down by the pedal and this is what I found. Looks a little wet but then again idk what it should look like lol

20210428_155527.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, looks like it's time for a new master cylinder. I got the complete system already filled and bled from O'Reilly's Auto Parts.
Power Torque Clutch Master And Slave Cylinder
Line: PTQ | Part # PFHK9085
As far as that noise, I have that same noise even after replacing the whole system. It doesn't sound like a noise the hydraulic system itself would make since it is filled with fluid that provides lubrication between the moving parts.
My last attempt to quiet it with some lubricating spray on the pivot point of the pedal failed. This is truly a mystery noise and my 50 year old body has a hard time contorting enough to actually fit under there to work on it, so I'm living with it for now...

Recently when I replaced the clutch MC and slave assembly; even though the Mopar was a lot more expensive that was the part I installed in my ‘01.
For those that are curious; part was made in Mexico....

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBClark
Yeah, looks like it's time for a new master cylinder. I got the complete system already filled and bled from O'Reilly's Auto Parts.
Power Torque Clutch Master And Slave Cylinder
Line: PTQ | Part # PFHK9085
As far as that noise, I have that same noise even after replacing the whole system. It doesn't sound like a noise the hydraulic system itself would make since it is filled with fluid that provides lubrication between the moving parts.
My last attempt to quiet it with some lubricating spray on the pivot point of the pedal failed. This is truly a mystery noise and my 50 year old body has a hard time contorting enough to actually fit under there to work on it, so I'm living with it for now...
That one looks like a nice part. Just wish I had an O'Reillys near me. Strange that the noise didn't go away. Mine only does it when driven a while. Is yours the same?

No, my noise is always there. It's got to be a pivot bushing or mounting bracket flex or something like that in my case. It's not as loud as yours though.
Yours definitely sounds like it is coming from the pedal assembly. It sounds like the pitch is changing as the pedal travel changes. Or, perhaps your for clutch fork or spring plate are making the noise. It is just hard to think that something full of fluid would make a friction noise like that. But, IDK, just my guess. Have you lubed the entire pivot and pedal bracket assembly with WD40 or something similar? Remove the slave cylinder and grease the cup that the slave piston sits in? No way to lube the clutch fork without separating the tranny I think?

Reactions: MrBClark
No, my noise is always there. It's got to be a pivot bushing or mounting bracket flex or something like that in my case. It's not as loud as yours though.
Yours definitely sounds like it is coming from the pedal assembly. It sounds like the pitch is changing as the pedal travel changes. Or, perhaps your for clutch fork or spring plate are making the noise. It is just hard to think that something full of fluid would make a friction noise like that. But, IDK, just my guess. Have you lubed the entire pivot and pedal bracket assembly with WD40 or something similar? Remove the slave cylinder and grease the cup that the slave piston sits in? No way to lube the clutch fork without separating the tranny I think?
There is a nylon button that is attached to the slave cylinder piston shaft which presses against the clutch release arm cup; the nylon button does not require lubrication.

Reactions: Blanquito
I currently have this same issue. Did you ever find out what it was?

I have since sold the jeep but I never did find this issue. It worsened when I drove it for a while. It almost sounded for me like it was coming from the trans area. There also was a squeak coming from the mechanism I posted above but I never did replace that.

For what it's worth, my clutch has been making this same noise for a few years now (maybe even 5 yrs.) The noise hasn't changed and everything is still working well. All of the clutch system components are original from 1998 and the Jeep has almost 217k on the clock.

I have since sold the jeep but I never did find this issue. It worsened when I drove it for a while. It almost sounded for me like it was coming from the trans area. There also was a squeak coming from the mechanism I posted above but I never did replace that.

Thanks for the response!

For what it's worth, my clutch has been making this same noise for a few years now (maybe even 5 yrs.) The noise hasn't changed and everything is still working well. All of the clutch system components are original from 1998 and the Jeep has almost 217k on the clock.

That’s good to know. My clutch seems to work fine and feels good. The sound has gotten a bit worse over the last year since I’ve owned it but I guess I’ll just keep going until there’s an issue. Thanks.

Reactions: SvtLdr