Started painting my Jeep and it looks like a carnival ride or a bass boat (Keep going or buy another paint?)

At the risk of tempting @Vtx531 ... here's what my silver to grey change looks like. That bit of silver will be gone this week.

View attachment 354577

Hey - this pic from another post...Did you remove the glass yourself? If so - How did you do it? I got the outside rubber trim off and I'm assuming I can pull he inside trim just as easily. Then a razor knife around the edge inside and outside? Heat gun on the glue?

The glass is in good shape so I would like to reuse it and not destroy it in the removal process.

Hoping you did this yourself and reused glass so you can help me with that since you are doing it economically like me. I would hate to spend a few hundred $$$ to remove and replace a windshield that is perfectly fine. That would cost more than my paint.

View attachment 217973

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sensei
I'm cool with the bass boat glitter rocket look. The ladies love sparkly stuff. Makes the jeep look like a stripper.

200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Claytone and Vtx531
Hey - this pic from another post...Did you remove the glass yourself? If so - How did you do it? I got the outside rubber trim off and I'm assuming I can pull he inside trim just as easily. Then a razor knife around the edge inside and outside? Heat gun on the glue?

The glass is in good shape so I would like to reuse it and not destroy it in the removal process.

Hoping you did this yourself and reused glass so you can help me with that since you are doing it economically like me. I would hate to spend a few hundred $$$ to remove and replace a windshield that is perfectly fine. That would cost more than my paint.

View attachment 217973

I bought a new windshield frame as mine was rusted beyond repair. I was pretty sure the glass was the original windshield so I had a new one installed. The shop I had it done at asked for the rubber seal that was on the inside. They said they couldn't get one. I Just dropped off the old frame and glass and I'm not sure how they removed the inside seal.

I ended up tossing the rusty frame with the old glass still in it and I'm glad I didn't do it before I saved the seal. I have had a glass shop remove a windshield for me for reuse (not a Jeep). It worked out fine but they would not guaranty before doing the job that it would.

I remember that day. It was COLD!

A gray TJ is a head turner. I’m still surprised Chrysler never painted them gray. Your paint job looks amazing. Typical of all the work you do.

I will make a a WILD guess that it was to separate from the YJs visually (which had a few shades of grey/steel blue). But the real reason was to probably just save inventory cost or something inane like that,

1992-jeep-pg01-jpg.jpg

Reactions: JMT
I pressed on a little further...

Sandblasted the doors, tailgate, grill. Then I epoxy primered everything and topcoated the inside/jamb parts. (going to spray the outside parts all at one time when everything is assembled together)

I must say this paint is growing on me and I think it's going to look sick when it's done. o_O It laid out pretty nice and even again plus the metallic does a good job of blending.

81B438A5-E95F-40E1-AD45-B6B01A7F4013.jpeg

3D890840-FE4A-44FF-B855-352B5211365D.jpeg

68268EC6-C8CA-469E-9F16-716F77488F89.jpeg

6C785735-2B84-44EE-976D-56CA8727112A.jpeg

Dont mind the outside of the half doors here, it's just primer. I was trying to show the top of the grill.
C6265B8A-9DA8-4978-98C7-FDBD448483E0.jpeg

Could you put the full name or part number of that paint on here. That stuff just looks too easy going on. Seems like it refuses to run, and would be good for a small car clean up.

Could you put the full name or part number of that paint on here. That stuff just looks too easy going on. Seems like it refuses to run, and would be good for a small car clean up.

Summit Single Stage Paint. Color is Quicksilver. I'm using the medium 70-80 degree hardener. SUM-UP332G

Really hoping it goes on nice for the overall paintjob whenever the time comes but I am somewhat optimistic. I did have one slight run on the grill but it was my fault, trying to make the paint gun fit under the 2x4 that the grill is hanging from and getting too close to the surface. Can't believe I didn't get my lovely scrap 2x4s in the photo that I cobbled together with some C-clamps to make it long enough. :LOL:

TJ's are easy to paint. I did mine and it turned out nice, but if I had to do it again it would be perfect. No roof to deal with

I agree. There so many parts that you can paint off of the Jeep after you have painted the tub and put them on later. I didn't do it that way ... but it made sense after I did what I did. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: John Cooper
I agree. There so many parts that you can paint off of the Jeep after you have painted the tub and put them on later. I didn't do it that way ... but it made sense after I did what I did. :ROFLMAO:

Anything with exposed screws I want to paint while it's installed though. That's pretty much everything except the fenders and grille. The fenders have a butt joint with the tub...so I want to paint those together for matching purposes. That leaves only the grille being able to paint off the Jeep for me!

Which I should have done because the little radiator V support piece needs to be black and no overspray on any of the radiator would make it difficult to spray while it's installed as I originally planned. Guess I'll have to mix up another batch of silver and do the front of the grille and then mask off the whole grille when I paint the rest of the Jeep.

Reactions: Matt131
Sprayed the front of the grill today. I used 400 grit to sand out some primer imperfections and I made a mistake and sanded through the primer in one small spot. Makes it hard to want to mix up a batch of primer for only one tiny little spot so I just painted over it. Hopefully it will be okay. :whistle: Not like it's the most important front face of my car or anything.... oh wait

Pics are in a shaded spot.

E4B87513-54DF-4857-B667-FC0E8B81306C.jpeg

D5EA8566-19AF-4598-97DA-3D4050182C83.jpeg

I also ordered some matte black for the V bracket, bumpers, handles, flares, undercarriage, etc. I got the idea that maybe I could mix the black and silver to get a gunmetal gray that might look good on the wheels. No idea what mix ratio though. 50/50?

Your doing it the hard way, but the quality way. No unpainted corners to start peeling back on you. I can't believe how nice that paint is working out for you. That last grill pic shows the finish's metallic. Your doing great considering it's a single stage. What do you think the life expectancy is on the TJ without clear, and if you clear it would it last much longer.

Reactions: John Cooper
Your doing it the hard way, but the quality way. No unpainted corners to start peeling back on you. I can't believe how nice that paint is working out for you. That last grill pic shows the finish's metallic. Your doing great considering it's a single stage. What do you think the life expectancy is on the TJ without clear, and if you clear it would it last much longer.

Thanks, glad you can appreciate it!

I have no idea the life expectancy. This Jeep lived it's first 20 years outside and I'm going to try and keep it garaged for the next 20. I've went mud bogging, sand duning, winter salt DDing...it was all rusted to the point of almost ending up in the scrapyard. At this point I've invested way too much time to let the Jeep get beat on again so it will be babied.

I was originally going to do a clear coat but I'm happy enough with the surface gloss. I didn't really consider the longevity part. Oreillys auto sells a panel clear for about $100/gal including the hardener. If I do a clear, I may do that one but a little concerned it might flash off to quick if it is panel clear and no overall clear. And maybe a cheap clear isn't that good for longevity? Not sure.

I've read a lot of people saying you can do a light buff and polish on ss metallic if you are careful...hmmm.

Can you tell me all about your paint job? It looks great. Amazing the 1,000,000 different products/tools/methods/ways to do a paint job.

Thanks, glad you can appreciate it!

I have no idea the life expectancy. This Jeep lived it's first 20 years outside and I'm going to try and keep it garaged for the next 20. I've went mud bogging, sand duning, winter salt DDing...it was all rusted to the point of almost ending up in the scrapyard. At this point I've invested way too much time to let the Jeep get beat on again so it will be babied.

I was originally going to do a clear coat but I'm happy enough with the surface gloss. I didn't really consider the longevity part. Oreillys auto sells a panel clear for about $100/gal including the hardener. If I do a clear, I may do that one but a little concerned it might flash off to quick if it is panel clear and no overall clear. And maybe a cheap clear isn't that good for longevity? Not sure.

I've read a lot of people saying you can do a light buff and polish on ss metallic if you are careful...hmmm.

Can you tell me all about your paint job? It looks great. Amazing the 1,000,000 different products/tools/methods/ways to do a paint job.

Of course now the true work begins if you decide to clear coat it. Color sanding metallic's is not for the faint hearted .
It is not easy to sand enough for good adhesion without making some of the metallic look weird.
Don't cheap out on product if you decide to clear coat , you don't want to have a Jeep that looks like it has pealing sunburn skin!

Of course now the true work begins if you decide to clear coat it. Color sanding metallic's is not for the faint hearted .
It is not easy to sand enough for good adhesion without making some of the metallic look weird.
Don't cheap out on product if you decide to clear coat , you don't want to have a Jeep that looks like it has pealing sunburn skin!

Thanks, at this point I'm leaning to just leave it in the single stage since it seems to be working okay. Less chances for me to screw it up!

I left the grille outside on my deck and a popup storm got it wet. Now there is some flash rust on the inside of the grill under the top. Outside still looks great though. I guess maybe sandblasting the entire thing is not a good idea. I'm pretty sure the body gets dipped in an anticorrosion bath before assembly and I pretty much removed all that by sandblasting. Spray gun is tough to get a GOOD coat in the tight/inside areas. Nothing like being dipped. :confused: So I may alter my plan going forward and blast only the rusty spots in an effort to leave any remaining corrosion protection.

The grill and fenders are not quite ready to go on yet (need motor mount bolt, front brake line, frame painted, firewall painted) but I set it in place to get some motivation after a few setbacks.

0058E425-5302-4B53-9376-0F5120A79B2A.jpeg

Last edited:
The part that was holding me up is painted - grill support.

I painted a couple other items too since I had to mix up the paint anyways. I'm very glad I went with matte black and not the satin or gloss. Should look really nice for the door handles, bumpers, possibly fender flares. Maybe the shine will come down a little bit the more it dries. This photo is just after it dried enough not to leave fingerprints - 20 mins or so.

87D6CD10-451C-47AA-93F4-35A5996330F1.jpeg

Wow, my rear bumper looks horrible with new paint next to it side by side!

A2907B28-CE53-4581-B625-E114378BAED5.jpeg