Starter issue and transfer case bracket

dockdoc

Yesterday we connected everything back up and fired up my TJ for the first time since early March when we started the frame swap. It cranked up and ran on the first try with no difficulties.

Got it on the road and the alignment is clearly off, so will be taking care of that. Overall runs great.

Two outstanding issues that I would appreciate advice on:

1. Starter - the original starter (70k miles) was on the Jeep and worked fine, but the solenoid positive wire connection post broke as I was tightening it. So I replaced the entire assembly (Starter and solenoid). I believe it's a reman. The starter fires right up and runs, but sounds BAD when doing so. It's only when engaging the ignition, and then it doesn't make noise after that. Again, works fine, just sounds bad - kind of like a grindy, ugly loud screechy sound, rather than a typical starter.

Think this could be a reman issue? There's no adjustment or shimming of the starter that I can see. Should I try and switch the solenoid onto my OEM starter?

2. Transfer Case Bracket. This is a bonehead issue... This is the shifter bracket that mounts on the underside of the tub... We had to remove it because the little torque shaft wouldn't fit back in... Anyway, all the little rubber bushings broke off and the hardware, etc... It's a mess. On top of that I somehow lost the torque shaft (which has a spring and a boot to hold it in place) and can't find it anywhere (might be in the middle of the road as we took a test drive).

I can't find these parts anywhere online... any suggestions? Going to start calling salvage yards.

Can you find a photo online of your missing T-case pieces and share? I may have what you need as I just installed a cable shifter last week.

As for the rubber bushings - are you referring to the ones that the linkage rides on or the ones that hold the bolts through the tub for the bracket? I may have those as well - as long as it's not the ones to between the bracket and the tub - those are shot.

As for the starter, if it's just the solenoid -maybe trying pulling the solenoid off the new starter to put on the old and see if it helps? sounds like it's maybe not fully engaging the internal fork or something.

Yeah think I'll see if I can try that with the solenoid.

Here's the linkage I'm talking about. Arrows point to the trouble areas... (Disregard the "Adjustment?" - photo I found online)

There's a salvage yard an hour away that has a couple matching wranglers, but I'm not sure I'll be able to pull them off without damaging them.

1591707819901.png

Get a cable shifter and never worry about it again.

Starter does not engage ignition. Pull the starter and bench test it. You should have the store bench test it before you give them your money. Almost guaranteed to be a reman unit. Sounds to be a bad bearing. Take the whole thing back (after confirmed 💩 from bench test).

Reactions: Flivver250
Get a cable shifter and never worry about it again.

Starter does not engage ignition. Pull the starter and bench test it. You should have the store bench test it before you give them your money. Almost guaranteed to be a reman unit. Sounds to be a bad bearing. Take the whole thing back (after confirmed 💩 from bench test).

I bought it online (Rockauto) and normally have a good experience with them. Spent a fortune on parts for this car.

I could bench test it... but I think it might be easier just to swap the old starter back in with the new solenoid.

@dockdoc - I don't have all 4 rubber bushings, but I do have two of them and the parts pictured below (and the rest of the linkage if required). My experience with the rubber bushings was hit or miss. Half of mine (2 out of 4) came out undamaged - but I wasn't trying to save them either. Maybe if you had someone under to hold it while you loosen the bolt from the top?

Honestly, a cable shifter is a great upgrade and future-proofs your system. I needed one after body lift, but I knew I would need one for eventual tummy tuck, so it was all good.

IMG_20200612_164553.jpg

@dockdoc - I don't have all 4 rubber bushings, but I do have two of them and the parts pictured below (and the rest of the linkage if required). My experience with the rubber bushings was hit or miss. Half of mine (2 out of 4) came out undamaged - but I wasn't trying to save them either. Maybe if you had someone under to hold it while you loosen the bolt from the top?

Honestly, a cable shifter is a great upgrade and future-proofs your system. I needed one after body lift, but I knew I would need one for eventual tummy tuck, so it was all good.

View attachment 169398
Hey thanks appreciate it. Unfortunately I’ve already shredded all 4 bushings to get the thing out. They don’t seem replaceable. The parts you have pictured I’m actually set on.
I will look into the shift cable setup. Any specific recommendations? Price is an important factor. This is a pavement princess so the transfer case function isn’t totally critical right now.

The shift linkage is not the place to save pennies on. Savey (from what I read) is the best one. Saving money means cheaper parts. Cheaper parts means having to f@ck with it or go out and get new, better parts. This is one of the places that makes sense to get the good stuff or why bother. Even a mall queen needs to reliably control the shifter position.

For cable shifters - Savvy, Novak - those are the better ones.

Steinjager makes a knock-off for cheaper, not sure the quality - they seem to have lackluster reviews on the normal sites (~3.5 stars)

If you want the two rubber bushings that hold the bracket to the tub that I didn't shred..I'll send them you way if you like. Otherwise, maybe a dealer could get them for you, but from what I can find, they are only available as part of the assembly - part # 52059692AA.

Bit of an update here... my buddy fabricated some new bushings to fit the bracket which work perfectly. We then spent a frustrating two hours trying to get the transfer case handle reconnected. Kept getting stuck in 4WD with only a partial ability to move the lever. Ended up manhandling it into 2WD to get it driveable, we’ll try again next week. Thinking we might have hooked it up backwards (180 degrees off). Not much room to work down there!

Bit of an update here... my buddy fabricated some new bushings to fit the bracket which work perfectly. We then spent a frustrating two hours trying to get the transfer case handle reconnected. Kept getting stuck in 4WD with only a partial ability to move the lever. Ended up manhandling it into 2WD to get it driveable, we’ll try again next week. Thinking we might have hooked it up backwards (180 degrees off). Not much room to work down there!

Get the cable shifter. Its 100% better than the factory linkage once you get it adjusted. If you plan to do future mods you'll need it anyway.