Starting Issue

Colin

Hi guys,
I have a intermittent starting issue with my 2000 4.0 Auto Wrangler. When I turn it over on the starter it makes a different noise to normal and refuses to start. I have replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor and it made no difference so I started checking the fuses and after swapping a couple around I tried starting it again and it sounded like normal and fired up straight away. This made me think I had a faulty fuse so checked them all but not one was faulty. The vehicle went fine then the tacho gauge started jumping all over the place and we lost power with a strange noise coming from the motor, it did this for about 500 metres up a hill. Then it came right and went well all that day with no issues with starting or with engine power loss. However, now it wont start again today! I feel that it can't be the Crank Position Sensor (new one installed) and I have tried swapping around the fuses to no avail. I have checked that we have fuel getting to the fuel rail and feel that there is no issue with fuel pressure? This has now got me beat!
I would really appreciate it if anyone can point me in any direction that might track down where the fault possibly is. Can any of you more experienced TJ owners help out this old Kiwi with this issue please?
Thanks

I would really really check the ground wires ...and they can be broken inside the cable housings also ..so don't go by appearances.

Reactions: Colin
Hi ya'all,
I have checked all the earth cables (removed and cleaned with sand paper) but no improvement. However I have tried starting the Jeep with the accelerator pressed firmly on the floor and away it went? This is very like some of my old cars when they were flooded (fuel) but I can't see how the Jeep got flooded, I didn't think you could flood an engine with fuel injection? So I feel I am missing something here? Does anyone have any ideas on what is happening here and what I can do to prevent it reoccurring?
I feel something is not right?
Thanks

Bad injectors leaking fuel after shutdown? Check the pressure at the fuel rail while running, and then at shutdown. Pressure should hold. If it slowly drops the pump or injector are leaking.

Thank you Goatman, I have tried starting the Jeep a few times since the last post and have had no further issues so suspect it is just an intermittent issue. I have always worked on the basis of don't try and fix something that isn't broken so have decided to leave as is for now. If it is a injector leaking then it must be very intermittent? If it becomes an issue I would probably replace all six injectors, do the 4 hole ones improve performance?
Thanks again for the help.