Brian Gagliano

Ok I just purchased my very first Jeep (2001 Wrangler sport 4.0 automatic ) and I love it!!! It's completely stock so some mods will come later. I have an issue and I was hopeful that someone could help me. Here's the issue not all the time but most of the time when I try to start it nothing happens. All the lights radio come on but it doesn't try to start at all. I then turn the key back to the off position an bump the shifter towards the park position and trun the key, starts almost every time. I've done a little research and the only thing I can find is a neutral safety switch (NSS) that gives similar issues.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction please. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like a park position sensor, see if there is one under the shifter cover and make sure that it is making contact.
If that doesn't work, pm me and I will call the JeepWhisperer. Lol
Got a buddy that has enough to require fleet insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try this... with the ignition switch in the Start position, try moving the shift lever between Park and Neutral. If you find it reliably starts at some point between those two locations, your shift cable is simply stretched a tad so it's not putting the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) into the right position. The NSS switch is physically located on the transmission, near the rear. The cable's length can be adjusted so the NSS switch will let it start. It is adjusted where the cable passes through its forward-most mounting bracket on the driver's side of the transmission.

No guarantees but I have some experience with your particular 32RH transmission and its connections, cables, etc.

Where is NSS switch physically located ? I haven't found anything yet - but I'm sure I've been looking in the wrong place. Can someone please post a picture of the NSS in the installed state ? Thanks from Hungary, Edgar

J115851?wid=810&hei=608&op_usm=0.jpg