Steering box issues

Kerry

Hi folks,
I understand that the steering box on 97-02 is different to the 03-06, but can anyone confirm if the shaft out of the steering box is different too?
I am having trouble trying to find a std pitman arm for mine, I have had 2 arrive now claiming to fit 97-06 that are not tapered, but the shaft out of the steering box on my 05 is tapered. I wonder if the 97-02 is not?

Hi folks,
I understand that the steering box on 97-02 is different to the 03-06, but can anyone confirm if the shaft out of the steering box is different too?
I am having trouble trying to find a std pitman arm for mine, I have had 2 arrive now claiming to fit 97-06 that are not tapered, but the shaft out of the steering box on my 05 is tapered. I wonder if the 97-02 is not?

they are both tapered and are both identical. You want Mopar part number 52038337.

I know the pitman gear splines are tapered, not sure how obvious the taper is on the pitman arm itself. As you torque the nut to spec it gets pulled up quite a ways.

Measured them with digital calipers, there is no taper on those 2 pitmans above. When I put them on the shaft I could see the gap around the bottom of the hole. You can get them on there and do up the nut ok, but only the top of the splines are mated. I certainly would not drive it like that.
I suspect some people might be though...