Steering gear box issue, and questions

Jmac00

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
So back in July I installed a rebuilt ( Rock Auto ) gear box. Last week it started making a LOUD clunk when I turn the wheel to the left, and sometime when I turn the wheel the the right, It doesn't do it all the time. It took me a week to figure out where the loud clunk was coming from.
Anyone have this kind of issue.

Also this is the steering column, I think that white piece is not in the right place?

1695418809792.png

bump,

so this morning I jacked the jeep up and turned the steering wheel L & R and its as smooth as could be.

I have no idea what to do with it now?

Maybe I'll just order a new steering shaft and see if that helps??

bump,

so this morning I jacked the jeep up and turned the steering wheel L & R and its as smooth as could be.

I have no idea what to do with it now?

Maybe I'll just order a new steering shaft and see if that helps??

Sounds like the issue depends on resistance. Is the rebuilt gearbox OEM? Hopefully someone else will chime in.

If the clunk is happening everytime you turn left, then have someone turn the steering side to side with the engine running while you reach in and feel every connection steering and suspension related, including the track bar. You are listening and feeling for the clunk.

Reactions: Rickyd and Jmac00
If the clunk is happening everytime you turn left, then have someone turn the steering side to side with the engine running while you reach in and feel every connection steering and suspension related, including the track bar. You are listening and feeling for the clunk.

I'll give that a shot and let you know what I find. Thanx for the advice