Steering groan

AussieNick

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I bought a steering gear box from a local u-pick for $80 and installed it in my project yesterday to replace the leaky steering gear. I had to destroy the rubber boot on the ball joint that connects the pitman arm to the drag link. Apart from that everything is installed satisfactory and the power steering works great and doesn’t leak.

Except that I get a groan out of the steering wheel when I turn it. It sounds like something is too tight but it feels really good.

Any advice if it is the ball joint mentioned above which I’ll replace soon or something with the new/used steering gear box that is adjustable?

Burping all of the air out takes turning the steering fully back & forth 20-25 times without the engine running before starting the engine. Starting the engine/spinning the PS pump without having first bled all the air out can damage the pump.

Well, for sure I did NOT do that step correctly but it is fully burped. However I don’t think the groan is coming from the pump. It’s only when I turn the wheel and the noise really sounds like it’s coming from the steering wheel.

... and the noise really sounds like it’s coming from the steering wheel.
Well that update sure made a difference in what we're looking for. Spray the rubber grommet on the firewall the steering shaft passes through with an aerosol white lithium grease or similar long-lasting lube. Nope, not WD-40 which won't last long.

Reactions: AussieNick
Well that update sure made a difference in what we're looking for. Spray the rubber grommet on the firewall the steering shaft passes through with an aerosol white lithium grease or similar long-lasting lube. Nope, not WD-40 which won't last long.

I added a bit of grease since I don’t have the aerosol and it made a good difference although it’s still not perfect. Thanks @Tangerined and @Jerry Bransford

👊

I’ll be in my JK on and about the 395 for the next 4 days. The TJ will have to wait in the garage until I get back.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I added a bit of grease since I don’t have the aerosol and it made a good difference although it’s still not perfect. Thanks @Tangerined and @Jerry Bransford

👊

I’ll be in my JK on and about the 395 for the next 4 days. The TJ will have to wait in the garage until I get back.

I had the dash out this last week and really had good access with the lithium grease. This completely solved the steering groan problem.

Reactions: Squatch
Heh...I tolerated that noise for way too long. I finally got out a can of WD-40 and went on the hunt. Got it where the steering shaft goes through the grommet.

Next time I'm poking around under there I'll hit it with some of that white lithium spray grease.