Steering Stabilizer Recommendations?

Sahara 00

TJ Enthusiast
Looking for some recommendations for a good replacement Stabilizer and possibly a front track bar

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Looking for some recommendations for a good replacement Stabilizer and possibly a front track bar

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I don't want to take credit for @Jerry Bransford's hard work so I'll just quote his is post from another thread about steering stabilizers:

A good basic steering stabilizer/damper is just a hydraulic shock that is valved 50:50 so it resists equally in both directions. They don't cost much and something from Monroe, Rancho, etc. that isn't expensive is absolutely fine. I run a very basic Rancho but have used other brands with no real difference. Higher-end stabilzers are normally gas-charged because they're sold by high-end shock manufacturers who usually make nothing but gas-charged shocks. There's no real benefit to a gas-charged (aka "nitro") steering damper because hydraulic shock problems like cavitation that make gas-charged shocks good for suspensions don't exist for a steering system.

Go with a less costly steering damper/stabilizer (which will be hydraulic) and you'll be fine. Make sure the steering stabilizer kit includes a tapered mounting stud as shown below. The OE tapered mounting stud is a permanent part of the OE steering stabilizer so you'll need a replacement after you have removed the OE steering damper.
View attachment 5588

Reactions: Sahara 00
Steering stabilizers are pretty much the same, there's really not much difference in most of them. I would only insure it is the normal hydraulic type, avoid those that are gas-charged as some of them can push on the steering and cause the Jeep to drift.

Also, your OE stabilizer has a stud in it that is a permanent part so you'll need a replacement mounting stud which looks like what is below. Some kits include that tapered bolt, just make sure it does.

This would work fine and it includes the required tapered mounting stud. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CB42O2/?tag=wranglerorg-20 The above recommendation for Montroe is a good one too.

For a front track bar, I'd go Currie if you can afford it. If not, just make sure its length is adjustable. I would avoid Skyjacker, Rough Country, or Rusty's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Jerry's advice is spot on!

I've never had a Rusty's product before - why is all of his stuff labeled as garbage?

It's hard to imagine a small, focused company making garbage.

Oh man, we could start an entirely new thread based off all the negative stuff I've heard about Rusty's.

Now, I will say this: I've never personally done business with them, but the reason for that is because before I ever bought anything from them, all I kept reading was negative review after negative review. Do a search for Rusty's on Google and nothing but bad stuff will come up.

So while I can't attest to any of this personally, I've heard horrible stories, some of them nightmarish! It's not just a few bad reviews either, it's more like hundreds or thousands.

Jerry's advice is spot on!

Oh man, we could start an entirely new thread based off all the negative stuff I've heard about Rusty's.

Now, I will say this: I've never personally done business with them, but the reason for that is because before I ever bought anything from them, all I kept reading was negative review after negative review. Do a search for Rusty's on Google and nothing but bad stuff will come up.

So while I can't attest to any of this personally, I've heard horrible stories, some of them nightmarish! It's not just a few bad reviews either, it's more like hundreds or thousands.

This is the truth, and same for me. I don't have he personal experience to knock on the guy myself, but before I ever bought anything from him, all I could read was negative review after negative review. The forums are COVERED in bad Rusty's reviews.

His website FAQ page says "I heard something bad about Rusty on the forum, is it true?"

To me, if you need to state this on your website, you have a serious reputation problem.

I've read many reports where he ships someone the wrong product. He gives absolutely no refunds, store credit only, so if he ships you the wrong stuff, you have to deal with him and are forced to accept the agreement of him keeping your money and shipping you something else of his. This even happens if he recommends you the wrong product and an unknowing customer buys it from his recommendation. Then, you're forced to do an exahngee for some other item of junk he sells. This is all coming from the guy who was dumb enough to ship the wrong product and then refuse to accept his mistake. Mistakes are okay, they happen, but the way he goes about rectifying them is unacceptable. This happened with something my brother bought for his CJ, so I guess I have kinda had experience with him but it wasn't my experience directly.

This is enough to keep me away forever. There are plenty of other places to buy my Jeep products.

Reactions: Kyle_W
And I'll add to that by saying that I'm always willing to give someone a chance in most cases. However, I wasn't even going to try with this guy. It wasn't like I read a few bad reviews, because that wouldn't bother me. But when I see hundreds of pages of bad reviews, that's a huge red flag.

It's like when you buy something from Amazon. You skim the reviews and you see it's got 2500 reviews, and 85% of them are 5 star, 5% are 4 star, and then the rest are 3, 2 and 1 stars.

Well, when you've got basically 85% of reviews that are 5 stars (out of 2500), that's a chance I'm more than willing to take.

But with Rusty's all I could find was negative reviews. That's simply not worth the effort, especially when I can buy the same product (or better) from someone with a good reputation.

Reactions: Kyle_W and Brantley
I forgot I had found and saved this old funny pic years ago that is appropriate to this thread...

Rusty's.jpg