Steering / suspension replacements

Folsom07

With not knowing anything about the previous owner and what parts have been replaced, I am slowly replacing suspension and steering parts. I have no real problems with “death wobble” or anything like that but I’m sure it can’t hurt to replace parts. I have a 2003 TJ sport 4.0 4x4 with a 4” lift (not sure of brand). Is there any reason a local OEM parts store wouldn’t be able to order parts such as ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, and other suspension/ steering parts? Would it be easier for me to order online? Being sure I have the exact part is my main concern. Also what parts should I focus on replacing first?

Before focusing on suspension, I would replace all fluids (diffs, transmisison, tcase, brakes, steering, coolant), a nice good tune up (plugs, coil, filters, etc...) get it running 100%.

Reactions: astjp2 and Chris
I’m a new TJ owner and started what @tworley stated, some by choice other by necessity. Regarding the suspension I knew the way it drove wasn’t “a Jeep thing” so I investigated with the great help of this forum, and found that a ball joint was popping out of the driver’s side knuckle. I went with the suggestion of these ball joints...
Spicer 706944X Socket Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007N6OHI0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here’s where I caution you...once the ball joints came off I saw that they were Moog Splined ball joints, they were probably in there for a reason. Not knowing any better and not checking back on this forum I went ahead and installed them. With the way the upper ball joint was sitting it’s quite possible that the hole was wallowed out which may be a reason why the ball joints were splined. My steering was tight for about a week and now it’s loose again but not as bad as it was. For now the uppper ball joint is holding in the hole with no noticeable movement but I’m most likely going to replace at least the upper again with a splined ball joint. Hope this helps you on deciding which way to go!

I would replace the ball joints with the Spicer 706944X ball joints, which are IMHO the best ball joints you can get. In addition, you could update the steering components and tie-rod ends with the ZJ tie-rod conversion.

The ZJ tie rod conversion parts can be purchased for a very reasonable price on Amazon. You'll need the following parts:
You can read more about that here:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/zj-tie-rod-conversion.2373/
All of those products have links to them on Amazon, and most of them have free Prime 2-day shipping.

I’m a new TJ owner and started what @tworley stated, some by choice other by necessity. Regarding the suspension I knew the way it drove wasn’t “a Jeep thing” so I investigated with the great help of this forum, and found that a ball joint was popping out of the driver’s side knuckle. I went with the suggestion of these ball joints...
Spicer 706944X Socket Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007N6OHI0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here’s where I caution you...once the ball joints came off I saw that they were Moog Splined ball joints, they were probably in there for a reason. Not knowing any better and not checking back on this forum I went ahead and installed them. With the way the upper ball joint was sitting it’s quite possible that the hole was wallowed out which may be a reason why the ball joints were splined. My steering was tight for about a week and now it’s loose again but not as bad as it was. For now the uppper ball joint is holding in the hole with no noticeable movement but I’m most likely going to replace at least the upper again with a splined ball joint. Hope this helps you on deciding which way to go!

I wanted to clarify and say I really like the Spicer Ball Joints; I’m hoping they hold up in my situation..I don’t want to dissuade any one from them because they look to be rock solid and so far are staying put.

I always prefer to get the parts I want. Not the crap Napa parts every shop around me uses. I do pretty much all my own wrenching as I've been at it for decades. All you need for most jobs is some decent hand tools and a bit of confidence. Especially now a days with the Utube able to show you step by step. You will learn that the job you do yourself is likely done better than the job you paid someone else $100/hour or more to do. Most guys and gals find out they really enjoy working on their TJ.

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_