Steering upgrades

The debate around steering setups is over what works best at what lift height! I think if you can answer that question for us, we can steer you in the right direction (no pun intended).

Reactions: Serbonze
You'll want to read this thread in that case:
What is the best steering for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

The sum that up though, there is no better steering setup (for stock axles at least) for your TJ than the Currie Currectlync steering.
I see you are a Currie man nothing wrong with that. I've been looking at the Currie currectlync. It seemed I have lots to learn on Lifts steering bumpstops and such. When reading the info on the Currie it states a 2 inch min bump stop (over stock) can you roughly explain that

I see you are a Currie man nothing wrong with that. I've been looking at the Currie currectlync. It seemed I have lots to learn on Lifts steering bumpstops and such. When reading the info on the Currie it states a 2 inch min bump stop (over stock) can you roughly explain that

The 2" minimum bump stop only applies to lifts under 4". This is due to the fact that at under 2" of lift, the Currie steering is beefy enough that under full compression / flex of the axles (without any bump stop), it will contact your front differential cover and potentially do damage. At 4" of lift this isn't as much of a concern (if any at all). However, bump stop should always be adjusted and added to any lifted TJ, regardless of whether or not it has aftermarket steering.

Currie is the only one out there (aside from doing the ZJ Tie Rod Conversion) that uses the factory style Haltenberger steering setup. Most people think they know better and decide to cheap out and go with a crossover type steering setup (which requires reaming the knuckles). Those steering setups end up almost always causing issues, and IMHO should always be avoided unless you have a very specific use case such as full width axles, massive amounts of suspension lift (i.e. 8"), or something very out of the ordinary.

Those crossover steering setups are absolutely pointless. They require way more work to install (as oppose to the Currie which just bolts-on), aren'y any stronger than a Currie setup, and often times problems arise such as death wobble, alignment issues, etc.

The 2" minimum bump stop only applies to lifts under 4". This is due to the fact that at under 2" of lift, the Currie steering is beefy enough that under full compression / flex of the axles (without any bump stop), it will contact your front differential cover and potentially do damage. At 4" of lift this isn't as much of a concern (if any at all). However, bump stop should always be adjusted and added to any lifted TJ, regardless of whether or not it has aftermarket steering.

Currie is the only one out there (aside from doing the ZJ Tie Rod Conversion) that uses the factory style Haltenberger steering setup. Most people think they know better and decide to cheap out and go with a crossover type steering setup (which requires reaming the knuckles). Those steering setups end up almost always causing issues, and IMHO should always be avoided unless you have a very specific use case such as full width axles, massive amounts of suspension lift (i.e. 8"), or something very out of the ordinary.

Those crossover steering setups are absolutely pointless. They require way more work to install (as oppose to the Currie which just bolts-on), aren'y any stronger than a Currie setup, and often times problems arise such as death wobble, alignment issues, etc.
Thank you for explaining that. I opted for a cheap lift and thil I'm paying for that in the long run. Lots to learn

Thank you for explaining that. I opted for a cheap lift and thil I'm paying for that in the long run. Lots to learn

A lot of us have been there before, myself included. Now I'm on to the the high end stuff though (Currie, Savvy, and some GenRight stuff soon), and it's something I wish I had just done in the first place.

Oh well, live and learn, right?

Either way, I can tell you that with Currie / Savvy components, you can never go wrong. Those guys don't just build stuff to build it (like some manufactures do), it's all very well thought out and built with the best quality. I guess the old saying is true, "You get what you pay for".

I like to show this picture when discussing currie. This is the ZJ tie rod (which is an upgrade to the stock system), vs the currie.

IMG-0929-1.JPG

Reactions: Chris
What upgrades can I make to tighten up steering?
I would recommend starting a new thread with some pictures of your front end and maybe some rough mileage estimates on those components, as well. From there, we could probably recommend a few things to try out.

Reactions: Scott D
I would recommend starting a new thread with some pictures of your front end and maybe some rough mileage estimates on those components, as well. From there, we could probably recommend a few things to try out.
Thank you
made a new thread