Steering wheel and alignment off after steering box replacement

Psyrim

Hello guys,

A buddy of mine and I replaced the steering gearbox on my 2000 Jeep TJ Sahara, figured we could save a few hundred dollars our mechanics were going quoting us.
It went pretty smoothly, but when all was said and done we noticed that one of the wheels seems to be pointed outwards. My steering wheel is also off center. We tried to do a toe-in on level ground but we didn't see much of an improvement.

Now the only thing I can think of that would have screwed something up was turning the wheel to get the input shaft to slide in, as well as the pitman arm back on. Thinking about taking it to a mechanic but I was wondering if any of you might know what's going on, maybe I can try fixing something myself if possible. Hopefully its just a matter of getting a proper alignment!

Hopefully my pictures help out, I will add more for some clarity if needed.
Thanks!

8.jpg
3.jpg
13.jpg
10.jpg
12.jpg

Now to remember what I wrote in my responses.

Since you turned the steering shaft and the steering box shaft; I would not just turn the drag link coupling to center the steering wheel. You risk the chance of damaging the clock spring in the steering wheel.
You need to center the steering box, the steering shaft and then straighten the tires using the coupling on the drag link.

I believe Mr.Blaine posted about you missing a couple bolts for the steering box. Make sure to install those before doing anything.

Last edited:
Now to remember what I wrote in my responses.

Since you turned the steering shaft and the steering box shaft; I would not just turn the drag link coupling to center the steering wheel. You risk the chance of damaging the clock spring in the steering wheel.
You need to center the steering box, the steering shaft and then straighten the tires using the coupling on the drag link.

I believe Mr.Blaine posted about you missing a couple bolts for the steering box. Make sure to install those before doing anything.
Sounds good - Since its my first time doing this, when you say center the steering box, would it be a good idea to take it out and turn the input shaft until its even both ways? Or is there an easier way to do it?

If thats the only way I'll give it a shot and report back - Thanks!

Your wheel isn't off far enough for me to say you spun the clock spring a full turn. I think you just need a proper toe-in set and then center the steering wheel with the drag link.

Reactions: John Scoggins
Your wheel isn't off far enough for me to say you spun the clock spring a full turn. I think you just need a proper toe-in set and then center the steering wheel with the drag link.
See what's wierd is that I think my driver side wheel is off, I think it looks like its turned outwards, but when we do a measurement the back of the front wheel is still bigger than the front, which means they're already pointed somewhat in the right direction. Maybe we're just tripping lol.

The toe-in definitely needs to be done just to be sure though