Steering won’t return to center with 6.2 degrees of caster?

Joethrottle81

Hi everyone. I’ve got a question. I’ve been dialing in my Jeep and I’ve got it driving very good. It tracks straight down the road and rides very well. No vibrations at any speed and I can let my hands off the wheel and it stays straight and true. My only problem is that the steering wheel doesn’t return to center at all? When I’m driving I can turn the slightest bit and the wheel will stay in any direction I put it at any speed. In refits causing me to constantly correct at higher speeds . I still have to correct at lower speeds but it’s not as pronounced. I checked my lower steering shaft and the bearing in the middle is deteriorating and has up and down play.. any suggestions to help me out? If it would steer easily I think this Jeep would be perfect., thanks guys

Here’s the spec sheet. Thanks you

image.jpg

I'm no expert, but I had a similar problem which turned out to be ball joints. They weren't loose, they were too tight and binding. I'd think binding at any link in the steering might cause the rig to have trouble self centering. disconnecting things and moving them by hand one by one might help with diagnosis?

It doesn't sound like your caster angle is your issue. Though caster angle doesn't depend on your suspension height, it's more about the tire size. With a tire size appropriate to a 6" suspension lift that 6.2 degree caster angle is more than is needed, though I again I don't think it is the cause of your lack of return to center after a turn. Your toe-in is fine. Not sure what the issue is but the above thought about the ball joints seems like a good suggestion. If you replace them stick with Spicer and make sure to avoid Synergy's ball joints.

Ok I’ll try lookin at the ball joints. I replaced all four with mevo tech off road ball joints. They were expensive but maybe they are the culprit all along. I’ll check and replace with spicer if need be. How do I tell if they are defective?

I just took it for a ride and noticed a small front brake line leak. Above the left front rail next to the steering box… could my brakes have been causing a sticky caliper from a leaky line. ? I’m gonna replace the section tonight but it must have had a small leak the whole time.