Stereo upgrade

Get one of these to secure it, freakin awesome

View attachment 40744

Instead of paying $60 for a cover, you could save that money and buy a head unit with a detachable face plate. Crutchfield has a filter so you can search for a specific head unit with detachable face. Kenwood, Pioneer and Alpine have plenty of options in the $80-$150 price range.

my bluetooth works awesome with iphone and i upgraded the speakers at the same time as the headunit. so i can hear it all crystal clear wit the top down and going 60+ on the highway

So when you are driving 40mph with no top, people can hear you talking via the bluetooth mic? Where did you place it? Mine is in the a-pillar, upper driver-side corner, and people tell me to call them back later if I don't put my face right up to the mic.

Instead of paying $60 for a cover, you could save that money and buy a head unit with a detachable face plate. Crutchfield has a filter so you can search for a specific head unit with detachable face. Kenwood, Pioneer and Alpine have plenty of options in the $80-$150 price range.

So when you are driving 40mph with no top, people can hear you talking via the bluetooth mic? Where did you place it? Mine is in the a-pillar, upper driver-side corner, and people tell me to call them back later if I don't put my face right up to the mic.
Except thieves steal stereos without faceplates all the time. It's happened to me twice over the years.

Except thieves steal stereos without faceplates all the time. It's happened to me twice over the years.

Morons as a $80 head unit with no face is worthless...knocking on wood, I have never experienced that, and I religiously remove my faceplate.

Ya indeed. My car cover is worth more than the head unit [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yea that sucks so i don’t use it to much. To windy with the top down. Sorry i thought you just meant Bluetooth in general

Oh yea that sucks so i don’t use it to much. To windy with the top down. Sorry i thought you just meant Bluetooth in general

I hear ya...mine works perfectly with the top on, but top off and its not very effective.

I went with a rebuilt radio from, 1factoryradio.com. But the only upgrade that I chose was a 3.5 mm socket so I could plug my phone into it. They have others to choose from.

Last edited:
I got this Sony from Crutchfield for $400, it has apple carplay, android, Bluetooth and back up camera capabilities.
16EF9B4F-F8D7-4DD8-A854-F4246264169B.jpeg

In also did a simple digital tuner. JVC, was on sale at the time. And they had buy one set get another speaker sale. Was blown away when I took it out of the box and the was half the depth of the typical tuners we were used to.

I second using crutch field, I have used them in the past and no problems. You can pay an extra $10 I think to have the connectors pre crimped and plug and play, makes it a lot easier. I put in a JVC head Unit on sale and love it, just be careful I melted the stock wires going to my speakers and had to run new wire back to them because I turned it up past the cheap wires limits.

I second using crutch field, I have used them in the past and no problems. You can pay an extra $10 I think to have the connectors pre crimped and plug and play, makes it a lot easier. I put in a JVC head Unit on sale and love it, just be careful I melted the stock wires going to my speakers and had to run new wire back to them because I turned it up past the cheap wires limits.

Probably melted stock power wires, stock speaker wires can handle all the power a deck can put out if wired correctly.

My Sony has all of the features mentioned in this thread including a phone app that allows you to take control of the deck functions with the phone. It’s a MEX XB100BT, 50 watts per channel. Enough to allow decent listening at freeway speeds with the top down. We also use them in boats for the same challenges. You will need to upgrade the factory main battery wire or it will overload the factory harness. Not too hard. Crutchfield makes everything but the power wire plug and play.

Everyone knows Jeeps don't produce the best sound quality, but I went with all Pioneer, set me back about $500 installed and the best thing I added was this slim 10" subwoofer. Best bang for your buck and everyone is thoroughly impressed with the bass including me! It sits under the rear seat of my TJ. With top down at highway speeds you can still hear the music and bass thumpin'.

Screenshot_20180513-053625_eBay.jpg

Reactions: JMT
Thank you for the link. I ordered this last week, and installed yesterday. Install was easy, and it works great.

I really like it! Also make sure you take a few min to go through the settings. Apparently I clicked through the initial set up and it had disabled the rear speakers! oops

Reactions: Daveh370
Another happy Crutchfield customer here. Dust ruined my stock CD player. Went with a Pioneer digital media receiver. USB, Bluetooth, microphone for hands free phone, aux, and AM/FM. The depth is only about 3" without a CD player. It also has a remote control which comes in very handy.
Came with everything I needed: Harness that plugs into stock stereo plug, 1.5 to 1.0 din dash adapter, and works with my factory subwoofer.
Took about 30 minutes to swap out. Very easy.

Hey Dave, is this the one you ordered?
Pioneer MVH-S501BS

I'm thinking of picking this one up myself but wanted to hear how yours is working out.

Jeff

My experience with the Pioneer units is very good, the single din and double din have good FM and really work well. Spend a little time with the manual and do the setup. It's a little deep in some places but you can get through it. Great products. Crutchfield is also the best source, you get adapters and all the help you need.

I remember replacing my speakers when I bought the Jeep..... took out the front dash speakers to find they were actually worn so bad they ripped.... no wonder they sounded bad

Vehicle speakers dry out after ten years or so, and generally stock speakers are the cheapest the manufacturer get away with....

once you upgrade your head unit you may find it worth wanting to improve the sound with some new speakers...

Reactions: skrelnik