Sticking front caliper(s)

WestCoastDan

TJ Addict
Wife has mentioned a steering issue multiple times over the past few months and I couldn't duplicate the problem until today while returning from a week out of town in heavy, slow, SoCal freeway traffic.
I experienced significant brake drag (multiple times, on BOTH sides), and that awesome burning smell.

It pulled hard enough that it would have easily thrown me into the adjacent lane if I wasn't paying attention.
I was able to limp it home, but the right front corner smells like there's a burning cat under there, so it has got to be addressed ASAP (or parked).

I replaced the pads and rotors a few years ago (maybe 4-5 years ago come to think of it), so it doesn't surprise me that I may need to show them some attention.

My plan is new calipers, pads, & hoses; rotors are also a distinct possibility, but I want to get the wheels off and measure them first.

That said, I found remanufactured calipers, along w/ 4" extended hoses, & pads "in stock" at my local Autozone, if you can believe it.
New rotors (Duralast Gold) are an additional $94/ea, which would bring the total for parts to about $360 plus fluid.

I don't think this price is that bad (using today's dollars), but I'm not sold on using Duralast brakes.

Any reason NOT to use these Duralast replacement parts?

As always, I appreciate the feedback.

new brake hoses are a good idea, I remember my first time I dealt with a all original faulty hydraulic hose on a 60's vehicle clutch. pushed in the clutch pedal and there was a delay and slipping then letting off alot of slipping from the clutch then finally grabbing.

also, you can rebuild your calipers super cheap, quick and extremely easily. theres tons of videos on the tube about rebuilding calipers. its really a no brainer task. id suggest a block of wood behind the caliper piston and keep your fingers out of the way when you use compressed air through the bleeder screw hole to blow the piston out

upside to rebuilding them is that they really dont go "bad" and you have genuine calipers and dont end up with someone else's abused problems you might have to take back in and warranty out a replacement for the replacement. I had dirt or rust in one of mine and it would randomly drag and never release on its own. I pulled that caliper a few times on the side of the road and pushed the caliper piston in manually. since taking it off, disassembling, cleaning and adding new parts it hasn't locked up since.

Reactions: Painfultruth
Stuck on the trail when I melted my clutch line in half...only store anywhere close was AutoZone. That Duralast clutch master slave got me home...but it was pure garbage.

Check out Black Magic Brakes!

IMG_20231208_213407.jpg

-Mac

Thought I had intermittent stuck brake rotors on both my 98 TJ and and my 2000 Dodge pickup withing a short period of time. Both times were cured with new brake lines. The lines deteriorate inside and act like a check valve and hold the pressure on slightly. Good luck to you.

Rebuilt calipers are mostly garbage these days. There are only 3 major rebuilder at this point and I'm not a fan of any of them. All the tribal knowledge/expertise was lost when the plants were moved to Mexico.

Get some new (not rebuilt) calipers from BMB.

Reactions: GPK03X and Mike_H
Power Stop; thanks for the reminder.
They have great products, I have used them before on my Charger. As long as I pick a kit that doesn't include drilled/slotted rotors, they seem like a great alternative to the higher priced BMB setup.(y)

Reactions: CreepinDeth
I had very similar issues with my tj, ordered power stop rotors and calipers with pads haven’t had any issues since

Have had excellent results with Power Stop brake parts on multiple vehicles. I really like their coated rotors and drums. Pretty much all I use any more.

• USA Proud
Power stop stuff is no better than rebuilt stuff from Autozone, Advance Auto, Oreilly's, etc. They only have their fancy red coating on them and a bigger marketing budget. I have them on my Jeep with BMB pads, so I am talking with some experience.

Reactions: rasband
I just wish they had a complete front/rear kit w/ calipers and non-drilled/slotted rotors.
Seems like they only offer the calipers w/ the fancy rotors.

I also have all new Power Stops on mine front and rear and Im beyond happy at the improvements its made to my braking performance.

Fronts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AN5UKYS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
The Power Stop drums esp blew my mind once added
I got mine from Rock Auto, these might be them
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RDH9ZN/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I also bought the HD front pads to test but the regular fronts were great. Need to do controlled tests to see the differences next Spring

I have 2 classic hot rod cars with vastly improved perf brakes also, and know what good brakes feel like Vs half assed basic. Jeep is a terrible comparison but it shocked me how great it was
Have had excellent results with Power Stop brake parts on multiple vehicles. I really like their coated rotors and drums. Pretty much all I use any more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Link
I also have all new Power Stops on mine front and rear and Im beyond happy at the improvements its made to my braking performance.

Fronts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AN5UKYS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
The Power Stop drums esp blew my mind once added
I got mine from Rock Auto, these might be them
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RDH9ZN/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I also bought the HD front pads to test but the regular fronts were great. Need to do controlled tests to see the differences next Spring

I have 2 classic hot rod cars with vastly improved perf brakes also, and know what good brakes feel like Vs half assed basic. Jeep is a terrible comparison but it shocked me how great it was

Yeah I'm really happy with mine. When I got my Jeep I had to replace the entire rear drum brakes. Lots of people like to complain about how much drum brakes suck and yes, I prefer rear disk brakes whenever possible but my Jeep rear drum brakes, with Power Stop parts, work really well. I didn't have to redo the fronts but will be doing them in the near future. I'll use Power Stop rotors and pads. I'm not a fan of their red coated calipers (I don't like the color red) so I usually purchase a different brand.

I just helped a friend redo his Acura brakes (all new rotors, calipers, and pads all around) and we used Power Stop parts. Will probably be helping another friend redo his Chevy pickup brakes in the near future and we'll use Power Stop parts. Used them many other times on other vehicles too.

I don't necessarily think Power Stop parts are the "best". But, for the money they are good and I have no complaints from any of their parts I've used on a wide range of vehicles.

I really like the coated rotors and drums because I don't like rust.

I've been using Duralast since high school with no issues. I have only recently started using Oriellys brand more only because they opened one in my town. Good luck.