Stock Chrysler CD Players

TJRick

TJ Enthusiast
First:
I am not interested in an aftermarket CD player. Not now, not ever. That is not an option for me. I hate the way they look and I am running a stock sound system.

Now that I got that out of the way, I would like to discuss stock Chrysler CD players. My 1998 Jeep originally came with a cassette player. I would like to replace it with a CD player. In looking at stock offerings from Chrysler for the Jeeps, I found that this one was an option for Wrangler from 2000 - 2002:

1641576992773.png

Then I found another that is very similar to the one above that was an option for the 1992 - 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, except it has a 5-band equalizer as apposed to the model with the 3-band equalizer shown above:

1641576944424.png

I do not not know much about sound systems, so am I correct to assume that the model with the 5-band equalizer is the better unit between the two? Both of these units were built by Alpine for Chrysler, but the one with with the 5-band equalizer is also called an "Infinity." Does that mean something else? They both look the same otherwise and they both have the same connectors on the back, so either should plug right into my Jeep.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: SSTJ
The Infinity headunit was probably associated with an external amplifier (from my reading and I found amplifiers for the Grand Cherokee from that era in web searches), so you'd probably be better off with the first one.

If I remember correctly the 5 band eq was used with the infinity gold system. I believe that system utilized a 6 or 8 speaker setup and an external amplifier. I am not sure if the GC infinity head unit will put out enough power without the factory amp. so it may not drive the speakers properly, resulting in poor sound.

If they both work like new there's probably no real difference in sound quality for whatever speakers you're using. My guess is that the "Infinity" has the extra bands and that name so the ZJ buyers will feel better about paying more.

I'd get which ever still sounds the newest. You may get lucky and that one is cheaper too.

If I remember correctly the 5 band eq was used with the infinity gold system. I believe that system utilized a 6 or 8 speaker setup and an external amplifier. I am not sure if the GC infinity head unit will put out enough power without the factory amp. so it may not drive the speakers properly, resulting in poor sound.

I didn't think about that, you may be right. I'd still try to listen to both, if I could, to help decide which one.

The Infinity headunit was probably associated with an external amplifier (from my reading and I found amplifiers for the Grand Cherokee from that era in web searches), so you'd probably be better off with the first one.

I have seen some head units that look just like the picture I posted of the 5-band equalizer I posted, except it has "Infinity Gold" written on the display. Wouldn't *those* be the ones that used an external amplifier?

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that the faceplate is wrong on both of those... at least for '05-06, as the corners should be rounded, not square.

Indeed. I was also in th market of a stock replacement radio for my 03 only to find that the have been discontinued. The edges are rounded after the facelift of 2003 (2003-2006) TJs.

In addition to the above, if you call the folks at 1FactoryRadio.com, they can tell you all about the pros and cons of each original unit.

Reactions: Head Lice
I am pretty sure that the faceplate is wrong on both of those... at least for '05-06, as the corners should be rounded, not square.

Earlier models, like my 97, have the square plates. The two he took photos of are from the right era, as far as I can tell.

Edit: Oh, I see your point. If @TJRick has a later-model TJ. His profile doesn't say, so I dunno. But yes, @Kon pointed us to the transition year.

First:
I am not interested in an aftermarket CD player. Not now, not ever. That is not an option for me. I hate the way they look and I am running a stock sound system.

Now that I got that out of the way, I would like to discuss stock Chrysler CD players. My 1998 Jeep originally came with a cassette player. I would like to replace it with a CD player. In looking at stock offerings from Chrysler for the Jeeps, I found that this one was an option for Wrangler from 2000 - 2002:

View attachment 301076

Then I found another that is very similar to the one above that was an option for the 1992 - 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, except it has a 5-band equalizer as apposed to the model with the 3-band equalizer shown above:

View attachment 301075

I do not not know much about sound systems, so am I correct to assume that the model with the 5-band equalizer is the better unit between the two? Both of these units were built by Alpine for Chrysler, but the one with with the 5-band equalizer is also called an "Infinity." Does that mean something else? They both look the same otherwise and they both have the same connectors on the back, so either should plug right into my Jeep.

Thoughts?
These guys usually have the OEM but like most, things are screwed up for now. Have used them several times and they also add the "AUX" outlet for your phone.

https://www.1factoryradio.com/1996-...-am-fm-equalizer-aux-on-a-pigtail-p4704373ab/

Interesting points. It's true that a stock unit is going to need an amp to sound good. I didn't think about how stock units that came with/designed for stock amps might need the amp even more.

1. Go to junkyard
2. Buy Infinity ZJ CD player
3. Update us how it sounds compared to the cassette player

My 2002 came with AM/FM cassette. Being a teenager, I changed it out for an aftermarket unit shortly after puchase in 2002. I always thought it looked stupid and my OCD didn't like how it didn't match the rest of the green dash lighting.

Later on down the road, I replaced with another OEM AM/FM cassette radio (two band equalizer) Then changed that out for OEM CD player (three band equalizer). I like having the extra mid adjustment but I'm not sure if two extra adjustments, like the one you are considering, would make a big difference. I never play a CD and I like the look of the cassette player better but I keep the CD player for the extra adjustability.

Reactions: Head Lice
1. Go to junkyard
2. Buy Infinity ZJ CD player
3. Update us how it sounds compared to the cassette player

My 2002 came with AM/FM cassette. Being a teenager, I changed it out for an aftermarket unit shortly after puchase in 2002. I always thought it looked stupid and my OCD didn't like how it didn't match the rest of the green dash lighting.

Later on down the road, I replaced with another OEM AM/FM cassette radio (two band equalizer) Then changed that out for OEM CD player (three band equalizer). I like having the extra mid adjustment but I'm not sure if two extra adjustments, like the one you are considering, would make a big difference. I never play a CD and I like the look of the cassette player better but I keep the CD player for the extra adjustability.

Well Golly Gee Willikers.

Nothing in your post answered anything I asked for, now did it.