Stock Rubicon axle dash switch with a new Locker

Jack_Stefan

TJ Enthusiast
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Hmm.. Good question. At first I was thinking it would be no problem. There's probably some wires you won't need, but surely it will have a way to make the connection. But now I wonder because the movement of the switch is more like a momentary switch. It doesn't have positive on/off. You push it down to engage, but it returns to the neutral position. And you lift up to disengage. I think there are other switches available that fit the holes and look similar but have a more traditional on/off action. Others will know better than I do though.

Reactions: williambmac
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Hmm.. Good question. At first I was thinking it would be no problem. There's probably some wires you won't need, but surely it will have a way to make the connection. But now I wonder because the movement of the switch is more like a momentary switch. It doesn't have positive on/off. You push it down to engage, but it returns to the neutral position. And you lift up to disengage. I think there are other switches available that fit the holes and look similar but have a more traditional on/off action. Others will know better than I do though.
Ah I see what youre Saying. Am i better off with some after market switches then?

Ah I see what youre Saying. Am i better off with some after market switches then?
I certainly prefer the simple on-off type aftermarket switches I installed to the factory locker switch.

Locker Switches 2.JPG

If you're open to other options, like @Jerry Bransford, I've now installed safety switches in the last two Jeeps. This helps make sure a switch doesn't accidentally get bumped. Easy to remember too. Left front, right rear.

20210613_112131-jpg.jpg

So I’m really trying to keep my Jeep as stock looking as possible.

Can I take a stock rubicon panel switch and put that into my 2002 sport dash and wire it up to my new Detroit E Locker?

Here is the switch I’m looking at
[URL]https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-...pid=5337789113&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1[/URL]
I know this is an old thread but I have managed to make this work with a fried factory switch. I posted some pics and will be making a write up on it but I cannot copy and paste it on here unfortunately and when I try to type it out on my phone it bugs out and I have to restart writing it. Pm if you have any questions until the write up is out.

IMG_4341.jpeg

IMG_4342.jpeg

IMG_4353.png

IMG_4354.png

IMG_4355.png

IMG_4356.png

IMG_4358.png

IMG_4359.png

IMG_4360.png

IMG_4361.png

IMG_4362.png