Stock tire iron doesn't fit new wheels

Chitoddy

Supporting Member
I got new wheels for my TJ about a month ago. Today I was going to remove the spare in order to install a bike rack, however when I went to remove the lug nuts, I found that the tire iron that came with my jeep would not fit down over the lug nut because the diameter of the wheel caps opening around the lug nut was a bit smaller than the thickness of the outer diameter of my tire iron. I've read where some have bought a cross style lug wrench as a solution but rather than having that roaming around inside my jeep, I'd prefer to keep the stock iron that fits oh so nicely under my seat. What I'm looking for is something like a deep drive extension that I could fit over the lug nut and then use the stock tire iron over that. Basically a spline key but instead of a spline just a regular standard hex shape. But I've been googling and searching for about 30 minutes and can't seem to find anything like this that is independently sold - I'm only seeing deep drive extenders that come with a set of lug nuts. Does anyone have any experience with this that can point me in the right direction. Or do I in fact have to buy an entirely new tire iron that has a smaller outside width?

Appropriate 1/2" drive socket, extension, and breaker bar. These can be stored with the extension bars in the passenger rocker panel. You will still need the stock lug wrench to work the jack.

Thx, I would have thought a breaker bar that swivels like that wouldn't have had enough torque vs a solid tire iron - especially considering when I've changed my tires in the past, sometimes I've really had to step down on the tire iron to get it loose. But honestly i'm not that tool savvy...

I got new wheels for my TJ about a month ago. Today I was going to remove the spare in order to install a bike rack, however when I went to remove the lug nuts, I found that the tire iron that came with my jeep would not fit down over the lug nut because the diameter of the wheel caps opening around the lug nut was a bit smaller than the thickness of the outer diameter of my tire iron. I've read where some have bought a cross style lug wrench as a solution but rather than having that roaming around inside my jeep, I'd prefer to keep the stock iron that fits oh so nicely under my seat. What I'm looking for is something like a deep drive extension that I could fit over the lug nut and then use the stock tire iron over that. Basically a spline key but instead of a spline just a regular standard hex shape. But I've been googling and searching for about 30 minutes and can't seem to find anything like this that is independently sold - I'm only seeing deep drive extenders that come with a set of lug nuts. Does anyone have any experience with this that can point me in the right direction. Or do I in fact have to buy an entirely new tire iron that has a smaller outside width?
Hey, not an answer to your question but just wanted to give a word of warning about the spare tire mounted bike racks if that's what you're installing.

I'm not sure a TJ's tailgate is strong enough for it. I had a Yakima Spareride rack on mine at the beginning of summer with a 31" tire on alloy wheels. I think it handled my 30lb bike okay but when I put 2 bikes on there, it bowed outward the top of the tailgate to the point that the top edge creased and eventually cracked. I've since switched to hitch mounted rack.

20210119_143402.jpg

20210119_143412.jpg

Hey, not an answer to your question but just wanted to give a word of warning about the spare tire mounted bike racks if that's what you're installing.

I'm not sure a TJ's tailgate is strong enough for it. I had a Yakima Spareride rack on mine at the beginning of summer with a 31" tire on alloy wheels. I think it handled my 30lb bike okay but when I put 2 bikes on there, it bowed outward the top of the tailgate to the point that the top edge creased and eventually cracked. I've since switched to hitch mounted rack.

View attachment 219350

View attachment 219351
Thx for the warning! I had a Thule "Spare Me" on my old wheels/tires for 15 years with no issue with 2 bikes. The bike rack was rusting after 15 years so while I was upgrading a number of other items I just bought a new rack too - same "Spare Me" just a little bit of a newer model than what they sold 15 years ago (very minor variations). I would think unless my new wheels and 31s are significantly heavier that it should be fine again, but I will keep an eye the first time I load up 2 bikes. I don't plan on loading any bikes until it warms up a bit here - but in the meantime I'll do a little research on the weight of wheels/tires before and after so I can see what the difference is.

Thx for the warning! I had a Thule "Spare Me" on my old wheels/tires for 15 years with no issue with 2 bikes. The bike rack was rusting after 15 years so while I was upgrading a number of other items I just bought a new rack too - same "Spare Me" just a little bit of a newer model than what they sold 15 years ago (very minor variations). I would think unless my new wheels and 31s are significantly heavier that it should be fine again, but I will keep an eye the first time I load up 2 bikes. I don't plan on loading any bikes until it warms up a bit here - but in the meantime I'll do a little research on the weight of wheels/tires before and after so I can see what the difference is.
Ah okay, in that case I suspect that my tailgate is a cheap aftermarket version that the previous owner replaced. Carry on

Ah okay, in that case I suspect that my tailgate is a cheap aftermarket version that the previous owner replaced. Carry on

My old steel wheels were 33lbs and the tires were 29 lbs (62lbs total) and my new wheels are 22lbs and tires are 42 lbs (66lbs total). I don't think the 4lbs should make a difference, but I do appreciate the heads up!

Reactions: Tangerined

Can you take a grinder to the stock lug wrench until it fits?

Any 1/2" breaker bar (of decent quality) will hold up just fine. A 6" extension and a deep well socket works great; and as mentioned will fit in the factory bag.
If you have to stand on it, then someone over torqued it. Plus, the breaker bar will probably be longer than the factory tool, so it will provide more torque and be easier to remove lug nuts.

Any 1/2" breaker bar (of decent quality) will hold up just fine. A 6" extension and a deep well socket works great; and as mentioned will fit in the factory bag.
If you have to stand on it, then someone over torqued it. Plus, the breaker bar will probably be longer than the factory tool, so it will provide more torque and be easier to remove lug nuts.
If the breaker bar has a swivel head you don't need an extension.

Reactions: Chitoddy
Reactions: Chitoddy
I use a breaker bar with a swivel that I found on the side of the road. Never thought twice about whether or not a breaker bar was strong enough to remove a lug nut. It's a breaker bar.