Strahan's 06 Rubi

Strahan

Hi. Just figured I'd make a build thread. I'm not making any crazy kind of build, just thought it'd be a way for me to see a timeline of things I do to my Jeep :)

Bought it April 28, 2017 from a dealership in Virginia:
Original_Ad_Photo_01.jpg

First thing I did was get a mirror relocation kit so I could drive doors off legally and paint the headlight buckets black:
DSCN2258.jpg

DSCN2262.jpg

I was lax on photographing my new baby, so that's the current latest pics. D'oh. Oh, I know what would be cool to have, a chart of things I buy / costs / links / my thoughts on it. A bit pretentious maybe, as who am I for you to care what I think or buy but hey; it's 1:15 AM and I'm suffering from insomnia so I may as give myself something to make my time awake useful lol.

Item: Hurst T handle shift knob
Cost: $36.66
Bought: 04/19/17 (Yes, before I even had the Jeep heh)
Thoughts: When I learned to drive stick, it was on a CJ-7 with one of these shift knobs, so I knew when I get my Jeep it just had to have one. It may not be for everyone, but I find it to be more comfortable than a ball shifter.

Item: Mirror relocation kit
Cost: $29.99
Bought: 04/27/17
Thoughts: These are great. Moves the mirrors to the chassis below the windshield. My friend suggested getting trail mirrors that stick in the hinge, but I read those vibrate a lot and make it hard to see. These do not vibrate at all, they work well.

Item: iOttie cell phone holder
Cost: $21.15
Bought: 04/30/17
Thoughts: This is a decent holder. I use one in my Hyundai. It's pretty easy to get the phone in and out and holds it pretty strong. Once I upgraded my phone to an Anker 7500mAh battery though, it has fallen from the mount a few times as the phone became rather thick. Still like the mount overall though.

Item: Omix-Ada downpipe / catalytic converters
Cost: $347.26
Bought: 05/07/17
Thoughts: Does the job. Much cheaper than alternatives I saw when Googling. I was nervous about it since all the pics show it all rusty like they sell used, lol, but it came nice and shiny and new.

Item: Magnaflow 18135 muffler
Cost: $22.03
Thoughts: I can't give any thoughts on it; it doesn't fit. The Magnaflow site had it as an option when I put my Jeep in, but apparently it's too long. Ah well!

Item: Rugged Ridge glove box & dash net kit
Cost: $23.99
Thoughts: These are nice as they keep the crap on the center console top tray from flying out. The other net goes over the glovebox front. Always handy to find more places to stash stuff in these vehicles!

Item: Mountain Off-road dead pedal
Cost: $47.27
Thoughts: I have a dead pedal in my Hyundai, and I never realized how much I used it until I got my Jeep which had none heh. A little pricey, but it's thick and solid so I have no complaints.

Item: QuadraTop bimini top plus
Cost: $59.99
Thoughts: Ugh. I both love and hate this thing. I love how it keeps my noodle from baking but I hate its fitment. I didn't read carefully and wasn't aware I needed a Bestop windshield channel so I was confused when it got here lol. Bought the channel, yet this top's plastic tongue that fits into the channel groove is too wide! I can't figure it out. I had a few other people come over and try and when centered, the edges hang almost an inch longer than the channel provides. I ended up putting the majority of the tongue in the groove and then using black duct tape to keep it there. Ghetto as hell, lol, but it works. I double checked, the box has the right part number for a TJ so no idea why it's like this.

Item: Generic glasspack muffler
Cost: $80.00 installed
Bought: 05/12/17
Thoughts: When my Magnaflow was too long, I told the muffler shop guy to weld in whatever off the shelf glasspack they have. Sounds good, I'm happy with it.

Item: Smoked turn signals / corners
Cost: $160.18
Bought: 05/16/17
Thoughts: Much nicer than the stock orange. I like dark colors, so my dark blue Jeep with black stuff on the front doesn't mesh well with bright orange turn signal lenses lol.

Item: Bestop windshield channel
Cost: $51.95
Bought: 05/21/17
Thoughts: A must have for the QuadraTop. Ordered a week or two after the top as I first tried some ghetto ideas to make the top work after I realized I need another ~$50 part, lol.

Item: Rugged Ridge grab handles
Cost: $12.99
Bought: 05/21/17
Thoughts: They are cheap for a reason. The foam ripped after a month. That said, after I tore the foam off, I actually prefer the feel of the handles that way. The nylon type material the handle is made of feels a lot more sure and easier to grip as it isn't so thick with the padding. If I were to buy these again, I'd tear the cheap foam off immediately lol.

Item: Silver corner bulbs and silver turn signal bulbs that glows amber when on
Cost: $9.98 / $12.50
Bought: 05/24/17
Thoughts: When you install smoked lenses, if you use the orange bulbs that comes with it you will get an "egg yolk" effect. These prevent that as they blend in when off. Problem is, these are fairly dim. I think I'm gonna switch to orange LED in the future.

Item: Pioneer head unit and wiring harness/dash mount
Cost: $25 / $31.78
Bought: 06/02/17
Thoughts: The stock Jeep radio sucks, because it only plays CDs. I like to have selection, so I wanted something that can do MP3. I wanted a USB reading stereo, but I was at a yard sale and saw a Pioneer that read burned CDs with MP3 files, and it was $25 so I figured heck, can't go wrong at that price lol. It's a decent unit. I still want to grab a USB one at some point, but this will tide me over. Wheels/tires/suspension was greater importance to me than audio at this point :)

Item: Factory style LED bar switch
Cost: $17.95
Bought: 06/09/17
Thoughts: I didn't want to use a stick on switch or drill the dash for an obviously aftermarket toggle, and I was directed to these. They're great! Fit in the four slot switch panel in the center console and look factory. Works great, and the vendor has many other application labels you can get.

Item: Yitamotor 52" LED bar
Cost: $92.99
Bought: 06/20/17
Thoughts: I wanted a light bar, but when I priced them I was shocked when I saw them like $~800. I talked to someone I saw with one, she said she got hers on Amazon for $100. I found it and bought it. You get what you pay for, lol. No replacement bolts to mount the A pillar arms, no instructions, and the A pillar arms don't stay flush at the top, they flare out. I can live with that though for $700 in savings, lol. Nice and bright!

Item: Rugged Ridge brush guard
Cost: $155.99
Bought: 07/16/17
Thoughts: The "classic" brush guard. Doesn't really cover a whole lot of area, but I've always liked these. Scratches easily though, which is annoying.

Item: Smittybilt 7/8" d-ring in zinc
Cost: $19.99/ea
Thoughts: My rear bumper had 7/8" d-ring mount holes but the previous owner was either cheap and didn't buy any or didn't leave them on when he sold the Jeep. It bothered me having empty holes, lol, so I bought these.

Item: Bestop high back vinyl seat covers
Cost: $159.95
Thoughts: I wanted to make my Jeep as waterproof as possible, as I like to drive with the roof and doors off. My Jeep must have been an indian in its past life, because taking the doors or roof off is akin to performing a rain dance :) I removed the carpeting and the rear seat, so with this my only worry now with rain in the dash.

Item: Rusty's Offroad 3" basic lift kit
Cost: $460.00
Thoughts: I wanted to run 33" tires, and after a bit of reading it seems 3" is the way to go. High enough to clear it, but not high enough to require a lot of driveline angle correction work. Had them installed yesterday and picked it up today, drives nice! No vibration at all, rides great.

Item: Rusty's Offroad adjustable track bar
Cost: $110.00
Thoughts: The Rusty's salesman said I should replace the track bar too when I install my lift, as it's probably worn. Given it was cheap, I figured why not!

Item: Tactik Circle 8 class black matte steel wheel, 15x8
Cost: $39.99/ea
Bought: 07/25/17
Thoughts: I currently have 18" JK wheels. That's backwards of what I think a Jeep should be; in my opinion, Jeeps need small wheels and big tires. Big wheels and small tires are for my BMW lol. So I got these to replace them.

Item: JKS front swaybar quick disconnects
Cost: $167.17
Bought: 07/25/17
Thoughts: My mechanic called when installing my lift and said the swaybar links were not right. He was going to grab fixed ones from a local place, but I told him if we have to buy a part may as well get something with added functionality. I read reviews, these sounded good so that's what I got. They are quite nice - they disconnect very quick and easy and the pin up to a mount on the frame, keeping them out of the way but not making me store them somewhere.

Item: Cooper Discoverer STT Pro 33" tires
Cost: $1,125 for 5
Bought: End of next week
Thoughts: My pizza place boss said I should talk to his friend who has a tire hookup. His price was actually more pricey than Amazon, but he included mount and balance so I went with him anyway. I wasn't sure which tires to get, these came recommended by the guy and I read a few reviews and they sounded pretty decent. My first impulse was to get Interco SSRs as "Super Swamper" is a well loved brand in "manly" tires, lol, but then I realized that there isn't many places to do any real offroading around here so aside from the occasional trip up to Rausch Creek my Jeep will spend a lot of time on pavement so the extra cost of SSRs isn't really justified. I am still waiting for the guy to get them in, so no thoughts yet on their performance.

My TJ is at the shop to get my lift kit installed, I can't wait to get it back! The lift was missing the sway bar links, missing them or they were wrong the mechanic wasn't clear. I dropped off the JKS quick disconnects tonight so he'll be installing them tomorrow and returning my Jeep then I'm off to get the new 15x8" steelies I bought fitted with Cooper 33" tires, finally replacing the (IMO) somewhat goofy 18" JK wheels I currently have. Gonna have the tire guy give me the JK wheels back sans tires, then I'll donate the tires to the local used tire shop and sometime before winter order Blizzaks to fit those wheels so I have "winter shoes".

Can't wait! So looking forward to it :)

Future goals: ARB bumper /w winch, air horn, steering wheel refinishing, Saavy LED tails, Max-bilt center console, Smittybilt rear storage box, air compressor, inverter, better headlights, foglights, dashcam, and Corbeau seats.

Last edited:
Reactions: LTTJ and Chris
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Yep, glad to hear you're ditching the JK wheels. I think that minus those wheels, she is a beauty!

The nice thing about these TJ Rubicon models is that you don't really need to do much to them in order for them to look good and perform well!

My TJ is at the shop to get my lift kit installed. I dropped off the JKS quick disconnects tonight so he'll be installing them tomorrow and returning my Jeep then I'm off to get the new 15x8" steelies I bought fitted with Cooper 33" tires, finally replacing the (IMO) somewhat goofy 18" JK wheels I currently have. Gonna have the tire guy give me the JK wheels back sans tires, then I'll donate the tires to the local used tire shop and sometime before winter order Blizzaks to fit those wheels so I have "winter shoes".

So the question is, since the JK wheels required wheel adapters due to the different bolt pattern spacing, will you then still need to put the adapters back on when you put on winter tires? Or did you buy 15x8 steelies with the JK bolt spacing? Just curious.

Also, every 'bikini' type top that uses that stupid header type is the same. They are all too long, and you have to fight with all of them. I read where someone actually glued the plastic tongue into the channel, now they don't have to fight with it any more.

Last edited:
Build is going in a nice direction. Make sure to post up the results.
Also, every 'bikini' type top that uses that stupid header type is the same. They are all too long, and you have to fight with all of them. I read where someone actually glued the plastic tongue into the channel, now they don't have to fight with it any more.

Mine is a Smitty (yes, I know) and other than the first time, it goes on pretty quickly and easily.

Thanks all! I'm bummed, I got a message from the tire guy and when I saw a msg from him I was hoping it was "bring your wheels, lets get these tires mounted" but instead I got "I ordered them, should be here end of next week". *sigh*

Picked up the Jeep today. Apparently it already had a ~2" lift via some sort of spacers in the springs. Even though the effective lift from the Rusty's kit is only an inch, I could see the difference. Rides better too, now that I have proper lift springs rather than spacers. My mechanic got the wiring for the LED bar done and installed my factory style switch. It was nice having the light bar actually be functional after being on the Jeep for a month, basically as a cosmetic. Nice thing about the LED bar, it hides the ghetto tape job on the bimini haha.

The glue idea is good, I think I may just do that. Just gotta find my dremel so I can trim the plastic a little first. It's buried somewhere in my storage unit, lol.

Gotta take up to date pics tomorrow. I have the bumper off at the moment. I talked to a fabricator, he said he can make me a custom stubby bumper but it may be pricey. I bought a big sheet of foam core board, I figured if I could prototype the new bumper in foam core, he could use that as a rough guide to save time. But of course after I meticulously measured and drew the lines, I went to cut it and my !()*&@#%^@ razor knife is missing lol. Have to try tomorrow! I need him to get me an estimate; if it's gonna be more than three hundred or so, I'll just buy the ARB one I have my eye on. Problem is I don't have the coin to buy the ARB and the winch at the same time, and I'm afraid it'd be weird to drive around with a winchless winch bumper lol.

PS: Those JKS quick disconnects for the sway bar are really nice. So easy! Pull a pin, lift it up and pin it to the frame. Super quick and I don't have to stash the piece and pins anywhere while it's off :)

Last edited:
OK, an update. I got some up to date pictures today:

073117_1.jpg

3" lift now, yay hehe. Have the stock bumper off cuz I was test fitting my prototype. Threw the brush guard back on so it at least looks legal when I drive to work lol

073117_2.jpg

As someone is bound to ask; Onizuka is for Onizuka Eikichi, the lead character of the show Great Teacher Onizuka. It's about a former motorcycle gang leader who decides to pursue a career as a school teacher lol

073117_3.jpg

The Rugged Ridge glovebox netting is taped to the glovebox because before I taped it, the clipboard I frequently slide down there from between the handgrip area and the dash would slip behind the netting. This way it always goes into the net. Also shows the Hurst shifter I love and the iOttie phone mount.

073117_4.jpg

Bestop seat covers, if not waterproof very darned near. Fairly comfortable too, pretty grippy; keeps my butt from sliding around lol

073117_5.jpg

Another nod to my nerd fandoms, lol

I'm excited; my boss at my part time job text me and said he had something to show me. When I got to the shop, he shown me a Facebook post of a guy selling an ARB stubby winch bumper with winch for $300!! The fairlead has some rusty spots but the bumper itself looks clean and clear. They said the winch needs a controller, no idea what that means. Does that mean the lead you plug in to make it run? Or does that mean some controller board maybe? Well, even if the winch is just dead weight I'll have to dispose of I'm still stoked as I was ready to pull the trigger on the exact same bumper and it is $600 new :)

Driving to get it tomorrow afternoon. I dunno if it's more involved to install than the stock bumper, but just in case it is the same easy six bolts I am taking my tools hehe.

Oh yea, and I got my LED bar wired up. I bought a cheapo Yitamotor 300W 52" for $100 so I wasn't expecting much but WHOA. It's bright:

Low beams:
LED_off.jpg

LED bar on:
LED_on.jpg

That was so impressive, I decided I'm gonna get the 800W Messlin one as I can't wait to see what nearly 3x the power looks like hehe.

One last thing... this is an odd little product I really like. HitchSafe. It installs in your receiver and when you enter a four digit combination, it pops open a little compartment. I keep cash, a spare key to the Jeep and (usually, not there in the photo as I forgot to put it back last time heh) a spare keyfob for my Veloster in there. Safer and more reliable than a magnetic underbody enclosure.

hitchsafe_1.jpg

hitchsafe_2.jpg

That black plastic square to the left of the receivers is a dust cover that snaps on to keep grit out of the combo dials.

Took my road trip. Cost me a half a freaking tank of gas but it was worth it!

arb_bumper.png

It's dirty but fairly solid. There is some slight surface rust around the holes like where the winch hook is connected to and also on top of the foglight mounts, but other than that and the rusty fairlead it's pretty solid. The winch is made by "Chicago Power Tools" so I need to track down that company and get a controller to plug into the box and docs so I know how to wire it up so I can test if it works. I was planning on getting a synthetic rope based winch, but heck.. at $300 for bumper and winch I can't complain :)

Just wanted to post updated pics now that she has new shoes :)

hilltop_close.jpg

hilltop_reardr.jpg

fromdeck.jpg

So happy with it :) I had to buy a new spare tire carrier, the last owner ground the studs off and welded them back on in 5x5 pattern, so couldn't put the spare on. Now I just gotta paint those wheel weights, took a lot to balance those big suckers lol.

Oh, and I applied Niteshade to the ARB turn signals. I hate orange on my car, I like everything to be dark/muted.

Last edited:

View attachment 20216

View attachment 20217

View attachment 20218

So happy with it :) I had to buy a new spare tire carrier, the last owner ground the studs off and welded them back on in 5x5 pattern, so couldn't put the spare on. Now I just gotta paint those wheel weights, took a lot to balance those big suckers lol.

Oh, and I applied Niteshade to the ARB turn signals. I hate orange on my car, I like everything to be dark/muted.

That's right on the money right there... LOVE IT!!! Bravo sir, that looks perfect just the way it is.

Reactions: Strahan

View attachment 20216

View attachment 20217

View attachment 20218

Nice, what's this Niteshade stuff? Great looking shoes. I remember when you first went to get the Jeep. It's really coming along!

Took my road trip. Cost me a half a freaking tank of gas but it was worth it!

View attachment 19790

It's dirty but fairly solid. There is some slight surface rust around the holes like where the winch hook is connected to and also on top of the foglight mounts, but other than that and the rusty fairlead it's pretty solid. The winch is made by "Chicago Power Tools" so I need to track down that company and get a controller to plug into the box and docs so I know how to wire it up so I can test if it works. I was planning on getting a synthetic rope based winch, but heck.. at $300 for bumper and winch I can't complain :)
Nice looking bumper. Can't figure why the FB seller called that a stubby, it's anything but that. Definitely a full-width bumper...Chicago brand is usually sold at Harbor Freight, you might check there.

Thanks all! :)

Good point on the hitch; I never really thought about how it's a bit low. Hmm. As to why there is two, I have no idea, I bought it that way. I guess the previous owner felt the bumper hitch was not strong enough and added the second.

Niteshade is like a black paint but it's made to go over lights. Black spray paint will block light, this will allow some through. The manufacturer calls it "transparent black" but it can't be transparent or else it wouldn't do its job eh? heh. I'm sure it cuts down on some light, but it works remarkably well. I darkened my Veloster's tail lights with it and when they come on, they are still very bright, almost like stock.

2017-Hyundai-Veloster-Turbo-rear-three-quarter-in-motion.jpg
veloster_rear.jpg