Strange cruise control problem

04JeepCharlie

Ok guys/gals. My CC was kinda sorta working but now it just refuses to stay on. Ok so I’ll explain. When I turn on the CC the light comes on. I then it SET and nothing happens. Then the CC light on the dash turns off and I am not able to turn it back on until I turn my Jeep off and turn it back on. AC works perfectly fine. No vac leaks as I checked that as well. My problem isn’t a vac leak. Seems to be a power problem. I swapped out the brake switch with a new one and no change. Unplugged the servo and cleaned the connection, no change. My horn works and no airbag light on so I don’t think it’s my clock spring. I’ve looked on so many forums and got idea from them and that’s why I was swapping parts and checking things. Anyone else have any recommendations?

Ok guys/gals. My CC was kinda sorta working but now it just refuses to stay on. Ok so I’ll explain. When I turn on the CC the light comes on. I then it SET and nothing happens. Then the CC light on the dash turns off and I am not able to turn it back on until I turn my Jeep off and turn it back on. AC works perfectly fine. No vac leaks as I checked that as well. My problem isn’t a vac leak. Seems to be a power problem. I swapped out the brake switch with a new one and no change. Unplugged the servo and cleaned the connection, no change. My horn works and no airbag light on so I don’t think it’s my clock spring. I’ve looked on so many forums and got idea from them and that’s why I was swapping parts and checking things. Anyone else have any recommendations?
I don't have a recommendation, but I do have the same problem. So, I'm going to tag along with your thread.

Yours does sound a little better off than mine though. I've only seen mine respond to a press of the switch and light up one time, recently. It was after I was testing the vacuum and inspecting the servo's connector. Plugged it back in, ran it down the road to test, and it came on, but stopped responding once I pressed the switch to set the speed.

Me three, going to check the output from the set button on the wire connected to the clock spring today. Mine doesn't turn off by itself but doesn't set, similar but not identical I guess. My clock spring has seen allot of abuse, that's why I'm starting there.

I have the same problem. I usually get better response if I press firmly on whichever cruise switch I'm using and hold it a fraction of a second longer. Even then, it still often will cancel itself, the cruise light will go off, and can't be turned back on until the ignition is turned off and back on, exactly as you described.

Me three, going to check the output from the set button on the wire connected to the clock spring today. Mine doesn't turn off by itself but doesn't set, similar but not identical I guess. My clock spring has seen allot of abuse, that's why I'm starting there.
Once you've turned the CC on, and the indicator lights up, does the light not go off when you press the "set" button? That's what mine did/does. I repeated the same steps as I mentioned before, trying to replicate whatever I'd done, but mine hasn't come back on. I got annoyed with mine and put that project on hold. Such a simple system to be so difficult to figure out.

So oddly enough after removing the shroud I pushed probes into the connector on the back of the clockspring and the whole thing easily popped off the column towards the driver and effectivly disconnected the buttons, the resistance on the wires went to zero. I don't really understand how that works but it did. Pushing the clockspring towards the front of the Jeep it easily snapped back in place and all the buttons tested perfect. I wont know unitl I drive it again but the buttons did still work to turn it on and off on the dash. Next time I take it out I'll report back. Mine does not turn itself off as others have mentioned, just doesn't reliably set with the set button. Don't know if it's worth others testing their buttons as the symptoms are subtly different.

Reactions: bedhed
I have the same problem. I usually get better response if I press firmly on whichever cruise switch I'm using and hold it a fraction of a second longer. Even then, it still often will cancel itself, the cruise light will go off, and can't be turned back on until the ignition is turned off and back on, exactly as you described.
Seems like a common issue. I hope someone who’s seen this and shed some light on this.

Reactions: bedhed
After moving the Jeep in the driveway yesterday I tried the key on-off-on-off-on code display out of curiosity. It displayed 3 codes so I looked them up online. One was P1595 which a search showed as Speed Control Solenoid Circuit for Jeeps. Anyone else have this code?

I went out with my OBD scanner to look at the codes with it and this P1595 code was not detected with it. Since it seems to be a manufacturer specific code, maybe it ignores it?

CC on my 97 Cherokee has been like that since I've owned it. Have to press and hold for 3 sec to set and about 2 sec to resume. Only had the self cancel a couple of times and happened when I was poking around to find a drain zapping the battery overnight. Seem to remember both being related to a ground short at the fuse box. May want to do some testing there is you haven't.

After moving the Jeep in the driveway yesterday I tried the key on-off-on-off-on code display out of curiosity. It displayed 3 codes so I looked them up online. One was P1595 which a search showed as Speed Control Solenoid Circuit for Jeeps. Anyone else have this code?

I went out with my OBD scanner to look at the codes with it and this P1595 code was not detected with it. Since it seems to be a manufacturer specific code, maybe it ignores it?
Mine doesn't.

Still haven't made any more attempts to try figuring it out the problem with mine. Anyone tried with theirs?

I believe I had the same code and the shop replaced my brake switch. All good now.
When I was looking to try figuring mine out, I'd read through the FSM to try locating where the problem may be.
When I looked through there, the brake switch was the point where I stopped with mine, but that was the only part left that made any sense.

Before I stopped, I tested the wiring harness coming into the solenoid, and I got some strange readings with the incoming ground. Grounds where they shouldn't have been. Maybe it is the same with mine, and the brake switch is throwing the those faulty signals.

On my dodge ram, it was also the brake switch.
On my father's 2001 RAM it was this guy cracked and shorting against the doorframe.
1967-05059426-1026078.jpg

Sounds like the brake switch is the main culprit but something to double check.

Replaced that switch and you’re no longer having the problems from your original post?
Yeah they scanned my Jeep, had a code that my scanner wouldn’t pick up. Replaced the brake switch that I replaced a month prior and now it works. They said Jeeps are picky with switches and to get an OEM one for stand by just Incase it goes out again. Been a few days and she works everytime now

Yeah they scanned my Jeep, had a code that my scanner wouldn’t pick up. Replaced the brake switch that I replaced a month prior and now it works. They said Jeeps are picky with switches and to get an OEM one for stand by just Incase it goes out again. Been a few days and she works everytime now
Thanks, I'll check out the switch on mine.