Strange tire issue

old jeep new to me

TJ Enthusiast
About a year ago I wake up and go in the garage and notice my Jeep leaning so I go over and see my passenger rear tire is completely flat. I fill it up spray it with soapy water check the valve stem and find no leaks whatsoever. After about 6 or 8 months with no problems again it is completely flat. Probably about 5 months later again and the same issue. it's like it's fine for months and months completely filled and then instantly overnight and goes flat randomly. Weirdest thing I ever saw.

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
A prank by chance, hard to explain otherwise? I get it is in the garage but can’t think of anything else that makes sense. Maybe a screw or something that you have to park directly on to make it leak….stretching here?

About a year ago I wake up and go in the garage and notice my Jeep leaning so I go over and see my passenger rear tire is completely flat. I fill it up spray it with soapy water check the valve stem and find no leaks whatsoever. After about 6 or 8 months with no problems again it is completely flat. Probably about 5 months later again and the same issue. it's like it's fine for months and months completely filled and then instantly overnight and goes flat randomly. Weirdest thing I ever saw.

Did you also spray the wheel down too?? Check the whole wheel for cracks??

I wonder if the wheel has a crack in it and the aluminum is responding to temperature changes and losing air.

I had a super duty wheel that would do that and I finally found a hairline crack in the wheel.

I will definitely be checking that today.
I wonder if the wheel has a crack in it and the aluminum is responding to temperature changes and losing air.

I had a super duty wheel that would do that and I finally found a hairline crack in the wheel.

I think I found it, extremely small but probably certain way I am parked is when it gets worse.

Attachments

• PXL_20221023_180623649.mp4
    25.8 MB
once upon a time i had a tire do this every month or two. turned out to be a piece of small diameter wire in the tread. would only leak when parked on it a certain way. spraying soapy water on it didn’t show anything. finally pulled tire off and found piece of wire. it was a smaller diameter than a small paperclip. couldn’t believe how something that thin made it through the tread of the tire.