Stroker vs re-gear

If you're talking about your 32rh,3.07's and 31s specifically then yes you'd be happy with a stroker. Its no v8,but it is what the 4.0l should have been. People use much higher gears with the 32rh than all other tj transmissions.

As to power band comparisons it would be rediculous to run a stroker at the same rpms as a 4.0l assuming you don't have a huge cam.

The jeep only needs so much power to go down the highway. I'm not lugging my stroker at 1800rpms and 1/8 throttle. All it does sitting at 2500 rpms is use more fuel

Back of the envelope calculation:

4.7/4.0 = 1.175.
3.07 * 1.175 = 3.60.

assuming a proportional increase in torque going from the 4.0 to the stroker, I'd expect a 4.7 with 3.07's to perform as well as a 4.0 with 3.60 gears. I think most guys would be pretty happy with a 4.0 and 3.60 gears and 31" tires under any conditions.

The optimal RPM range stays the same.

If you look at a dyno chart of a stock 4.0 vs a stroker 4.0, the torque curves are close to the same, just at a higher level with the stroker.

View attachment 404529

What you're missing is that the stroker has more torque at 1000 in that graph than at any rpm for a 4.0l.i don't think i believe that but mine definitely does everything at 2000 rpm that my 4.0l did at any rpm

Reactions: wv_kid
Here's something to consider in the gear vs stroker idea. Leaving the gears the same will keep the engine at the same RPM at a given speed. If your current 4.0 is lugging now at X speed/RPM, even with a slight bump in power the effects of side-loading will only be worse with a stroker, thus faster wear.

that's a good point and I don't know anything about the rod ratio or piston skirt length of the stroker setups. I do know a 505 CID Pontiac engine with 3.54 gears and 28" tires will walk all over a 350 CID Chevy engine with 3.90 gears and 26" tires in a 65 GTO with a wide ratio muncie, and it would be batshit crazy to give that 505 more gear.

Here's something to consider in the gear vs stroker idea. Leaving the gears the same will keep the engine at the same RPM at a given speed. If your current 4.0 is lugging now at X speed/RPM, even with a slight bump in power the effects of side-loading will only be worse with a stroker, thus faster wear.

I agree. But i don't think he's lugging his current 4.0l with his desired gear,trans and tire combo

Reactions: wv_kid and BlueC
5f57c775-bcf0-4729-a391-c72225f15def-jpeg.280568

Here's some real world data. This is my stock 4.0 vs Golen 4.6 on a Mustang chassis dyno. Pretty much apples to apples. 4.11 gears, 33" tires, 4th gear (1:1) in my AX-15, both on 92 octane with very similar weather conditions. You can see torque and horsepower curves are quite similar in shape but about 25% better with the stroker. On the road, the rig doesn't feel as if it lugs like it used to at lower RPM (1500-2000) if that helps.

5f57c775-bcf0-4729-a391-c72225f15def-jpeg.280568

Here's some real world data. This is my stock 4.0 vs Golen 4.6 on a Mustang chassis dyno. Pretty much apples to apples. 4.11 gears, 33" tires, 4th gear (1:1) in my AX-15, both on 92 octane with very similar weather conditions. You can see torque and horsepower curves are quite similar in shape but about 25% better with the stroker. On the road, the rig doesn't feel as if it lugs like it used to at lower RPM (1500-2000) if that helps.

did you have to do anything other than bigger injectors? stock PCM and map sensor or ...?

I had a 98 4.0l/32rh/3.73/31s. I gave it to my father and still drive it occasionally.Comfortable cruise thats easy on fuel is 45 mph.it is mostly used for low range driving in first gear hunting or i would have put my old 3.07 axles in it.

did you have to do anything other than bigger injectors? stock PCM and map sensor or ...?

Nope. Stock tune in PCM for both. 24# injectors vs 18# stock IIRC. I've thought a lot about gearing in this Jeep. Most here would say 4.56 is the right choice for 33s and the AX-15. I agree with the 4.0, but 4.11 seems just right with the stroker. So to your question, I feel the 4.6 allows me to run 10% higher (numerically lower) gears.

Reactions: Rickyd
I have the auto Rubihara. went from 4.10 to 5.38 gears with 33s. HUGE improvement.
My vote is Gears.

Totally useless comparison. He doesn't have a transmission with a crappy overdrive ratio to try and overcome.

I would definitely caution that rebuilding a 4.0l,stroker or otherwise is a gamble. There is the potential for something to go wrong.

Reactions: Pacoson71
Here is all you need to know. My 04 ran exceptionally well with the super charger. Stock 3.73's, stock size tires. I bolted on a set of JK 32" take-offs and re-geared to 4.88. The tires just robbed that much fun out of driving it and it was a sub 2" increase in tire size.

Nope. Stock tune in PCM for both. 24# injectors vs 18# stock IIRC. I've thought a lot about gearing in this Jeep. Most here would say 4.56 is the right choice for 33s and the AX-15. I agree with the 4.0, but 4.11 seems just right with the stroker. So to your question, I feel the 4.6 allows me to run 10% higher (numerically lower) gears.

That's great, it does well in all temps and at elevation?

Totally useless comparison. He doesn't have a transmission with a crappy overdrive ratio to try and overcome.

I would definitely caution that rebuilding a 4.0l,stroker or otherwise is a gamble. There is the potential for something to go wrong.

The reliability issue is, to me, the biggest factor weighing against a stroker. I'm sure I'd love the performance of a stroker with 32RH, 3.07 gears, and 32" tires. I just don't want an expensive repair or electronic gremlins coming up at 6500 ft elevation, 50 miles from the nearest hard road in a north Idaho snowstorm.

Reactions: Painfultruth
I vote for gears , they are stupid simple , don't have tuning issues , are emissions legal , ( kinda ) and just plain work at every point of the performance curve.
Otherwise , it would be an LS and gears !
Jeeps have always been a compromise type vehicle since conception. For me I get into a different mindset in my TJ I end up driving slower less aggressive and ,
enjoy the drive. This is the way I enjoyed driving air cooled VW's back in the day. VW is the Standard of compromise vehicles.

Here is all you need to know. My 04 ran exceptionally well with the super charger. Stock 3.73's, stock size tires. I bolted on a set of JK 32" take-offs and re-geared to 4.88. The tires just robbed that much fun out of driving it and it was a sub 2" increase in tire size.

Unless it was a Roots I'm not sure that is totally on-point. Centrifugal superchargers do not give you instant off-idle snap like a roots blower or, for that matter, a longer stroke.

The reliability issue is, to me, the biggest factor weighing against a stroker. I'm sure I'd love the performance of a stroker with 32RH, 3.07 gears, and 32" tires. I just don't want an expensive repair or electronic gremlins coming up at 6500 ft elevation, 50 miles from the nearest hard road in a north Idaho snowstorm.

It isn't so much the stroker itself as finding valvetrain parts of the same quality installed originally. Add the larger cams everyone runs in a stroker,plus the lack of zinc in engine oil and they have more issues than an original 4.0l.

I also only run #24lb injectors.but haven't taken it through extreme elevation changes. Some day I'd like to get it tuned by flyin ryan.