Stuck Diff Cover on Dana 30

Thumper4fun

TJ Enthusiast
Okay, I've removed +- a dozen diff covers in my life but I have met my match. I have tried every trick I know and this diff cover will not budge. So other than the obvious does anyone have technique for removing a stuck diff cover.

I even tried this and lifted the jeep off the jack stand just by the lip of the unbolted diff cover. Never budged. The part you want to see is at the 4:45 mark.

I've attempted with a variaty of hammers, chisels, screw drivers, painter's tools, etc. I have managed to mash every finger on both hands and somehow hit myself in the knee. I barely can walk to the door and can't open it once I get there!!

If you’re using a drywall joint knife and it’s not coming loose, hit it harder with the hammer.

I've hit it as hard as I dare hold the end of the joint knife and I'm not a small fry (6'5" 230 lbs) and was pretty frustrated at the time!!! Plus see above about the conditon of my hands, not to mention my knee. Will you come hit it for me?? :)

• Haha
Reactions: Daryl
I haven't tried heat, something about a tourch and all that oil waiting to dump out of the diff all over me and my garage floor makes me a little hesitant...but I am running out of options.

Tap in some utility knife blades around the seal. Use a bunch. Get them in there.

Loosely start one bolt in one of the top holes. Place drain pan under diff. Get the shop hammer and smack the shit out of it sideways at the bottom corner like you are trying to drive the cover into the inside of the passenger tire. If you can't get a good angle on it, remove the driver's side tire so you can get a good swing. It will come loose, I promise.

Loosely start one bolt in one of the top holes. Place drain pan under diff. Get the shop hammer and smack the shit out of it sideways at the bottom corner like you are trying to drive the cover into the inside of the passenger tire. If you can't get a good angle on it, remove the driver's side tire so you can get a good swing. It will come loose, I promise.

Going to try that this morning since I'm fresh and the swelling has gone done in my hands. I may need a new diff cover before its all said and done!!